I keep meaning to write this, but the the whataboutery dies down, but its back again so.....
Why is this game released at the particular time generating such comment/debate compared to <insert over game/thing>.
1) Harry Potter is a mega franchise that millions have a strong attachment to/relationship with, be it for themselves or their kids. The books, the films, the play, the Theme Park lands, the Merch, the whole world/lore, conventions/parties/cosplay etc, etc. It is massive/worldwide and in the same league (or not far off) as Star Wars and LOTR and Marvel. And if you like the books or not - its hard to argue that they were a positive phenomenon with children and Adults queuing up at midnight over and over again to buy massive books at a time where people would start to argue that print was dying and kids weren't interested in reading anymore.
2) The game is a big budget, single player in a popular open world/RPG genre at a time were big budget/single player games are rare so its going to generate a reasonable level of interest even without the franchise attached to it.
3) The creator of Harry Potter is intrinsically linked to it. Her story of creating it is well known and she has always been in the public eye to some degree since the books came out. More crucially, she still owns the rights to it all and is an active participant in whatever licensed stuff is released as well as discussing the world and its characters. This isn't a creator that is long dead, or anonymous/reclusive and it isn't a franchise now owned by a mega corp with its creator having no control (if they ever did).
So big franchise, high profile game and an active creator of that franchise who owns the rights and benefits from every sale and is very well know as the creator of that franchise.
4) Trans rights/laws is a big story at the moment. The laws being introduced in Scotland and the recent prisoner controversy and then the UK government weighing in as well as the Trans discussion as part of the Conversion Theory ban. Debates about Trans athletes in Sport happening all the time. Various laws being enacted in U.S States.
5) JK Rowling is very, very active in the Trans rights debate. Irrespective of what anyone thinks she actually means or how 'wrong or right' her views are, she is a very prominent figure in trans and gender recognition discussion. She is campaigning against the Scottish government. She gets referenced by politicians in the UK and further afield in discussions about trans rights (in some cases along the lines of Trans rights must be respected but so should JK Rowling).She is wrote about in the press both positively and negatively on these issues and I'm sure she is, as usual, tweeting or retweeting up a storm. This is not someone who made a comment on something 3 years ago or said something recently and rolled it back. She is vocal, loud and active.
6) This is hard to quantify, but plenty of reports suggest Trans people are facing increased harassment and abuse at the moment and certainly right wing politicians are weaponising the trans debate or, especially in America, trying to put through draconian laws that will severely curtail trans rights. At best, it has to be a worrying time for trans people or people with family members or friends who are trans and at worst, it could be a very difficult, dangerous time.
So - Trans rights are a hot topic. JK Rowling is very active in this debate and not considered an ally. Trans people are under attack and scared their rights are going to be taken away or worse.
All of that above adds up to it being a bit different and higher profile at the moment than any other game being released by any publisher regardless of who funds them or allegations about their employees or what someone involved has said or done in the past.
And I think posters on here need to remember that we have trans posters on here or posters that have family and friends who are trans so, don't treat this like an Xbox/Playstation debate and think before you post. Its fine to want the game and buy it. Its fine if your opinion on Rowling or boycotting is different, but remember that being called out for buying the game (which isn't really happening on here anyway) or, as is really all that is happening in this thread, being annoyed that people are stating that it should be boycotted or giving their negative opinion on Rowling is not actually that big a deal compared to anyone who grew up loving the Potter franchise and is now gutted they can't play the game while worrying about their or their friends or family members future.
And don't jump on the "I can't believe this is happening/being posted' train in this thread based on things that aren't actually happening. The trolling/baiting/faux outrage on things that aren't even being said is getting too much. There are very, very few posts where people are being called names for buying this game, but there are plenty of posts acting as if every other post in here is that.