The Wii Controller

JPickford (retired mod)

everyone knows I'm an insufferable nintendo fanboy...

... but this is better than I expected. It's lovely. Well designed and completely new.

The possibilities are mind blowing. Suddenly, a lot of games shown so far on xbox360 and ps3 look so... boring. I can't see how they can have the same kind of control mechanism included in their machines without them looking like rushed reactionary peripherals.

It looks as though Nintendo are about to make gaming fun again... for everyone.

Only just got up. This is great - isn't this what people have been dreaming about doing for years? A sort of modular controller which reacts to physical actions?

It's also fantastic for disabled people who really don't have enough peripherals.

Edit:

Actually, I'm envisaging a two-handed affair. Two different controllers, one for each hand. Maybe modular or something. Like you could put bits connecting the two and turn it into a steering wheel or... something.

That's my crackpot theory for the day.

Close enough!

Like I keep saying - think of it as a 3D mouse.  Not every game will see you flapping your arms around - some will use the controller just like a mouse or like a gun.

Or to put it another way, when combined with the analogue stick, Nintendo have just created the greatest FPS controller ever.  See?  Don't worry, kiddies, you'll still get the games you like, and now they'll work even better than they do on the PC.

Metroid with this controller this is going to be f$%kin' awesome.

Like someone else said... it turns your TV into a 42" touchscreen.

I can't wait to see what the bods that did Osu! Tatake! Ouendun! do with this... ^_^

I just had a look at the controller.

...^_^

Don't get me wrong, it'll be amazing - but just look at it. Nintendo are utterly insane and I love them for it.

There's a definite problem with it though - lazy people like me don't want to have to move their arms about when playing (except to twat the guy who just redshelled you) and play with their controller resting in their laps.

Anyway - VIVE LA REVOLUTION!

Not every game will have you swining a virtual baseball bat or flapping your arms like an idiot. It can be used like a mouse, but in the air or in your lap. You need only make small movements with your wrist to get the results you need.

And I think it's fair to say that we all know how to do that.

I just had a look at the controller.

...^_^

Don't get me wrong, it'll be amazing - but just look at it. Nintendo are utterly insane and I love them for it.

Nintendo are seriously attempting to bring non-gamers into the fold. I realise I'm not saying anything profound here but making it look like a TV remote is a brilliant first step. Everyone is familiar with a TV remote.

For years my egg and spoon race game design has slept, waiting for the technology to do it justice...

Looks great, positively gagging to see some of the games they've got.

Kid Icarus, flapping two controllers like wings? I think the fact that this is a controller that allows you to do two different things with both hands is one of the most exciting aspects. Wario Ware is going to be full of 2-controller "pat head, rub belly" type games, mark my words.

This looks awesome, quite simply.

And if anyone can remember the thread I started a week or so ago about trying to get my girlfriend to play Halo and what a disaster it was, I reckon this is going to fix it!

This is exactly what Nintendo set out to do, I think they will achieve - expand the range of people playing games.

V excited! When is this coming out!!??

Nintendo are fucking crazy!

I love it ^_^

You see, if it weren't for Nintendo we'd all be playing racing and shooting games with our dual analogue controllers. Not that that's an especially bad thing, but it's nice to know that won't be the only thing the next gen will offer. Luigi's mansion 2 as a launch game please! :o

OMG Nintendo release a lightgun in the shape of a remote control and you all go MENTAL. It’s not even a new design; it’s the same shape as the Nintendo pad you get in aeroplanes with the Nintendo gaming system. I bet it won’t even work with Plasma/LCD/projection screens!!!

Nah I’m only joking you guuuuys. Nintendo have actually impressed me. I am joining the Revolution.