Sensible Soccer 2006

Fry Crayola

I'm sure those are not the new screens - it's the old game! These are probably the screens from the last version?

If these are the new screens I probably won't touch it.

Hmmm, I'm a bit dissapointed with the new look, I was just expecting it to be a straight port with updated teams.

Still at least it's got an individual look and hopefully they'll be able to keep the speed up.

Would have prefered a straight port with xbox live functionality though.

How good would that have been!? Unlockable extra? In my dreams. :)

The thing about players losing price, sort of had nothing to do with how well they played (i.e. goals scored). The first release only strikers and goalies would go up in price but they patched it and sent a boot disk around.

After this a lot of players prices would stay the same i found, but the main influence for me was the formation. The more 'ticky' the player was in all the different parts of the tactics and formation the more likely their value would increase. It took a lot of trial and error and playing about but I had a variety of formations which would make most of my players increase in value.

The financial model of SWOS was daft, though. I never understood it- I took Cambridge United to the top of the premiership, with my team's top scorer (Tony Yeboah, which ages the game somewhat) consistently scoring 10+ more goals per season than the next highest scorer in the league, and his value still declined. If you bought, say, Dennis Bergkamp, and won the league, cup, European cup, etc, his value would still fall. It was stupid- it was like it was punishing you for success.

This was a known bug, about player positioning I believe. Or something similar.

Just a bug...

SWOS was great, but they promised so much more and actually rushed it out for Xmas, as they admitted. :)

Codemasters will be releasing the game next year. It's a direct port, no alternations other than possibly intro, menu screens etc. - all in MCV a couple of weeks back, the GME issue actually (August 31st).

As for people saying why release this so far toward the end of the PS2's lifecycle - what on earth are you talking about? It's a budget release of an ancient game - hte like of you and I can appreciate it, but do you honestly think 'Mr. Joe Average FIFA2006 and Need for Speed Most Wanted 3-lover' will give a flying toss? It's a budget release designed for impulse purchase - exactly the market who will be buying PS2 games well into the next decade.

So Ted....who is the liar Ted!!!

Almost certainly.

Feel free to correct me if I've been misinformed.

DIE SCUM!!!!

Oh man, please let this be good. I have semi-faith. It all sounded good, but I'm scared after seeing those new screenshots.

If they pull this off though, I'll buy either a PS2 or Xbox to play it on.

I've been waiting for a killer app on those systems! :(

• 3 months later...

Anything new on this. Just seen the Xbox version on Simply Games due on 7th April 06.

The screens on codemasters look okay. The players look good but the pitch is just a blur, may be to do with the pace of the game I guess. I hope we have full control of the camera to place it just so. Silly not to give that option really...

14 years of Sensi experience, even played the Amiga originals using a Mega Drive pad. I could play with a joystick but after 3 matches it just hurts.

"developing new versions" does indeed sound like a bad idea. if they change ANYTHING beyond allowing CPU teams to buy/sell players and have injured/suspended players in career mode, then they will only make the game worse. everything else about it is perfect to start with.

The Konix Speedking was the best way to play Sensi on the Amiga - it worked wonders on the aftertouch. The tiny little joystick handle on a Speedking is almost the same size as an Xbox analogue stick, so I reckon the Xbox controller would be almost perfect for this game.

It’s great to bring a truly new version out for the first time in over eight years on all of the major formats

Ace. Although the screenshots look like that piss-poor Sensible Soccer 3D that came out on the PC in the late 90s that was awful. I hope you can switch the view to the 2D over the top one.

• 1 month later...

So Linkster or SOL which version is best suited to their controllers PS2 or XBox.

The preview on eurogamer makes it read like a rather welcome return

From the sound of the preview it uses only three face buttons and the analogue sticks, which should mean that it'll be quite at home on any of the controllers. I've gone from thinking this was a cynical cash-in to really looking forward to it now, particularly for multi-player fun with non-gaming friends.

The console versions are £29.99 at Play, though they do have the PC version listed at a more affordable £17.99.

i notice they also have katamari damacy 2 at £29.99, and i thought that was a budget release too? or was that just the original?

According to the preview, it uses not three but two face buttons (for passing and shooting) and one of the triggers (for sprinting), though.

Never, ever liked the idea of 'sprinting' in footy games. I'm not overly convinced it's not gonna feel like "why did they bother?".

Never, ever liked the idea of 'sprinting' in footy games.

Out of curiosity, why?

I can understand a dislike for it in SWOS (and I wonder why it's in the new game) but when the game's a more tactical, realism-based affair like PES , sprinting is frankly a necessity. Being able to change pace on a whim is crucial.

This has the all encompassing "Career" like SWOS doesn't it? With Full leagues, Cups, Champions League etc during a season and then possibilities of International Management?

It was great to manage loads of clubs all around Europe/The World and get the chance to dabble in International management for a few seasons. I suppose it was like an Arcade Champ Man. I can never put the effort into that, I need to PLAY.

edit: It seems there is no such mode in the new version. I'll stick with SWOS then thanks.

Comments like this from the developers on the Official forums are just madness:

"This version will be a test to see if Sensible Soccer in the 21st Century still can be a winner - if next year's release is a hit then we'll certainly consider bringing it back and adding more features (online multiplayer for example, or the SWOS managerial options)."

AND

"But that's the problem - if people don't buy it because they want the SWOS management engine, then we won't get the sales and won't make another the engine."

Taking le piss? I think so. Surely you NEED those basic features from a 10 year old game for a 21st Century SWOS. Sounds like you can't even do the basic player editing from Sensi aswell. Just names.

Taking le piss? I think so. Surely you NEED those basic features from a 10 year old game for a 21st Century SWOS. Muppets.

I can see where you're coming from, but it is a budget release so I guess they're just testing the water. Personally I'd pay full price for it with or without the management options, but maybe I'm in the minority there.

Oh, and that preview has me moist.