IGNORED

Larry Sanders Show

cloutbasher

That show was the aces.

I always imagined it was a big influence on The Office.

I assume they are just repeats and there is no new stuf planned. I seem to remember they burned their bridges in spectacular fashion in the last series by ripping into the reason they were being canned with merciless hilarity.

Hank Kingsley: What about the time I chipped my tooth on the bathroom urinal? What the FUCK is so comical about that!

Larry: It was a back tooth Hank.

[under his breath]

Larry: I don't know how you did it.

Are they showing all of it from the start, in order? Or will they show random episodes at random times and then take it off for weeks at a time to show the curling like in the good old days of BBC2?

What's it about? The comparisons to The Office sound appealing.

Garry Shandling (toothy American comedian, often guest host on American talk shows in real life) plays a character much like himself, with his own Letterman / Tonight Show. The show features real guests appearing in the show, and we see them behind the scenes. It's one of those semi-improvised, realistic shows that play with reality and showbiz and are so popular nowadays (Curb, Entourage). Some great regular characters: Hank, (played by the father in Arrested Development) a put-open straight man, and Artie (played by Rip Torn) who's the terrifying power behind the scenes.

I fear it might seem a bit hit and miss when watched again, as the things that made it unique have been copied by other shows. But some bits are really memorable.

That bit with David Duchovny!

The comparisons to The Office sound appealing.

Ricky Gervais' 3rd favourite sitcom after the Simpsons and Seinfeld.

3. THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW

Created by Dennis Klein and Garry Shandling; ran from 1992-1998; 89 episodes

"This is strange. It's like working out. You don't look forward to it because you know it's going to hurt, but you feel good afterwards. Larry Sanders and Curb Your Enthusiasm, sometimes you're not sure you should go through with them. But they're brilliant. I possibly don't get the emotional effect I get watching Seinfeld and The Simpsons. I want to hug Homer. I want to hug George. The Larry Sanders characters are successfuJ media types, so you can't feel sorry for their petty insecurities, their jealousies, their back-biting. It plumbed new depths. But what a character! And so believable. The detail is spine-chilling. The Office owes more to Larry Sanders than anything British, just in terms of realism. It has real people, acting normally. It's filmed very rugged, very warts'n'all. No laughter. Almost filmic. I think we stole the white-out-of-black credits as well."

I'd like to see "The Garry Shandling Show" again.

I mostly just remember the theme tune. "This is the theme to Garry's show / What do you think of it so far?" etc.

Was that Randy Newman? I was only very young when this was first on, but it sounded a lot like him when I just sang it back in my head. If that doesn't sound too daft.

Was that Randy Newman? I was only very young when this was first on, but it sounded a lot like him when I just sang it back in my head. If that doesn't sound too daft.

Sounds like him, if the scene from Family Guy where he's making up songs based on whatever he sees is anything to go by.

180px-Randynewman5.jpg

Red-headed lady, reachin' for an apple, gonna take a bite -- nope, nope. She's gonna breathe on it first, she wipes in on her blouse

But it isn't according to IMDB.

Sounds like him, if the scene from Family Guy where he's making up songs based on whatever he sees is anything to go by.

Taking this OT but I never quite got that Randy Newman gag. He writes songs about loads of stuff - The slave trade, religion, a concept album about the deep South etc.

The Larry David Show kinda sounds like The Kumars except for the asian family.

Nooooooo. The stars don't get proper interviews at all and they are usually playing on certain aspects of their character rather than just turning up and being themselves. Also the main thrust of the show is what's going on behind the scenes.

Of course the biggest difference is that the Larry Sanders Show wasn't shit.

My office comparison comes from the unbelievable venality of the main character. And his overwhelming sense that he is great when he is, in fact, shit.

The majority of the show is about the behind the scenes stuff that goes into the making of the made up show that it is about. So you get lots of pre-show arguments between the team and the guest, mostly based on their extreme pomposity or desperate need for recognition.

All the guests play parodic versions of themselves, often with some life story aspect cross over. Did you know that Larry was shagging Ellen DeGeneres when she came out as a lesbian? Imagine how that affected the mans elf-esteem. He also shagged Rosanne Barr and then got the hump when she called him a needle dick on air, in his own show. Larry's false laugh followed by a quick cut to adverts and then a nice row in front of the studio audience who egg on Rosanne was a top moment. Oh and David Duchovny was the aces.

The majority of the show is about the behind the scenes stuff that goes into the making of the made up show that it is about. So you get lots of pre-show arguments between the team and the guest, mostly based on their extreme pomposity or desperate need for recognition.

That sounds excellent.

And Garry Shandling appeared in David Duchovny's X-Files episode 'Hollywood AD' - playing Mulder in the movie version of The X Files. He wasn't in it much, they just had a few comments where Mulder was annoyed that Garry Shandling was playing him whilst Skinner was being played by Richard Gere. Awesome episode.

We are so lucky to have you, each and every day you come here to amaze and confound us all as you elevate wrongness to whole new levels that nobody before you had even dared to believe existed. It is a gift.

You are truly special.

Well, if you've never seen Larry sanders, it might, in theory, sound a bit like the Kumars. They're both pretend chat shows.

I suppose that's true, if you have never seen it but I would have at least expected him to get the name of the show right.

Why do you hate me?

I don't hate you or anybody else. We just have opposing views.

• 2 months later...