How Fussy About Food Are You?

Gabe

By my own admission, I am an incredibly fussy eater. This makes it a pain when thinking of eating out, because my g/f is the complete opposite - she'll eat most things. And of course, being a woman, gives me no slack at all, even though I have told her repeatedly what a fussy eater I am.

This does mean that I do all the cooking, and I also have about 5-7 meals that I will eat regularly, with some others sometimes thrown in, and means I spend ages browsing all manner of food before just buying the same old stuff as usual.

So is anybody else stupidly fussy about what they eat, or will you eat any old junk?

Tofu can fuck off.

That's about it really, I like everything else. Well, maybe not LIKE everything else but can eat it if given to me. I'm not fussy at all, regarding what it is or what condition. Few days old? No problem.. Off the floor? Gooo on then.

Probably why I'm always shitting for England.

Tofu can fuck off.

That's about it really, I like everything else. Well, maybe not LIKE everything else but can eat it if given to me. I'm not fussy at all, regarding what it is or what condition. Few days old? No problem.. Off the floor? Gooo on then.

Probably why I'm always shitting for England.

So what are your views on 2-day-old pizza?

I'll eat most things happily.

But if someone cooks for I pick out the things they've done wrong in the cooking and what not, or things i'd have done diffrently. Of course I won't say anything, unless its my girlfriend and then she'll tell me she's never cooking for me again. which makes me happy.

I have a few specific things I don't like (which are almost all 'animal parts' - liver, kidney etc, plus custard), but in general will eat just about anything that's food.

One thing I am a stickler about is sell by dates, which used to draw much taunting from housemates who would eat anything that wasn't visibly mouldy/decaying, even if it was a week out of date and the 'keep refrigerated' instruction had been completely ignored :S

I have a few specific things I don't like (which are almost all 'animal parts' - liver, kidney etc, plus custard), but in general will eat just about anything that's food.

One thing I am a stickler about is sell by dates, which used to draw much taunting from housemates who would eat anything that wasn't visibly mouldy/decaying, even if it was a week out of date and the 'keep refrigerated' instruction had been completely ignored :S

Oh God, I don't particularly like them to start with but the way you wrote that made me imagine them all together in a bowl of custard :hurl:

You do realise that the supermarkets put the use by dates about two weeks earlier than they should be just to remove even the tinyest possibility of food going off and them getting sued?

You probably do, it's probably a psycological thing rather than rational?

I can't eat seafood (which is a bit of a bastard as I'm spitting distance from a fish quay) and I'm not too keen on proper veg. Sprouts, broccolli and the like just seem wrong in my mouth. I LOVE meat of all kinds, steak, kidney, heart, liver, most bits of ex-animals.

Not the healthiest of diets, but it tastes fantastic!

I'm 28, and I'm STILL gradually eating more and more of the things that I've avoided since being a little'un. Mushrooms succumbed recently, when I realised I quite liked them but had been put off by the flavour of mushroom soup :D. Seafood is still my big problem - I don't mind things like prawns and lobster and not very fishy fish, especially if any of them are fried, but more shellfishy shellfish and fishy fish makes my stomach turn.

Fish pie is my most despised thing ever.

And the other day I ate something which had touched some baked beans, quite an achievement :(.

well, i don't like uncooked cheese (love melted though). Also, fish, but i'll eat it if i have to and some of it isn't so bad.

my mum occasionally calls me a fussy eater, but that's just because she'll eat anything. Compared to almost all people i know, i'm a very unfussy eater, but i think she just thinks i am because she grew up in the far east where IN GENERAL they're less fussy and eat what they can get. Because from my experience, it's the English people mainly who are very fussy, but she compares me to her family and upbringing, not English ones.

Gotta say im not a big fan of fish or liver/kidney etc but apart from that will eat most stuff.

Was far more fussy before I went to uni than I am now. Eating the shite they served us in first year made everything else taste delicious :D

You do realise that the supermarkets put the use by dates about two weeks earlier than they should be just to remove even the tinyest possibility of food going off and them getting sued?

You probably do, it's probably a psycological thing rather than rational?

I know there's some leeway, but I prefer not to take the risk unless I'm in the extremely rare situation of there being literally nothing else to eat in the house.

Not fussy at all. I'd hate to be fussy over food, it's all so nice.

This is the thing, thoug. My g/f - who eats anything - doesn't really enjoy her food, it is more a case of it being simply fuel. I, on the other hand, am stupidly fussy, but love the food I eat.

As an example of how fussy I am, I don't like the taste of chicken. And yet it is pretty much the only meat I eat, but only if I can cover the taste of chicken with a sauce or something.

Actually, re-reading that, it's not so much fussy, as seriously screwed-up! :D

Another example: I can't stand soggy chips: I can only eat small, crispy ones. This means that I will rarely have them (a local kebab house kindly cook them to my liking, and Burger King fries are ok. McDonald's are shit, though), and if considering a pub lunch I have to scan to see what the chips are like first, before deciding to order them or not.

I have many more examples, too, but I'm not sure that is a good thing! ;)

That's completely sensible.

I read an article in the paper that said most stuff lasted (or was safe to eat) ages and ages past it's sell-buy. And that even stuff like fish and chicken will be repulsive before it harms you providing it's been properly refrigerated.

Do you seriously reckon food just spontaneously turns into toxic goo the second the sell-buy date is passed?

Even shit like mayo is pasteurised.

Mayo is good for months. The stuff in my fridge must have been there for 6 months plus and it's fine. Yoghurts too, even my live yoghurts keep for ages. In fact I think they taste better a month or so after the sell by date, gives the flavour time to mature through the bacteria working to make more lactic acid. Mouldy cheese? Just cut the mould off.

I'm also a firm believer in the 6 second rule.

However, I realise that people get obsessive over things, we all have our little habits that others can't understand.

I see some of you have trouble eating seafood.

That's quite sad to hear. There is lots of wonderfull seafood.

However, I don't particulary like liver (havn't tasted it for quite some time now, though). I used to not like raisins, but that's changed. I actually used to not like tomato, but that has def. changed.