Let's See Your Hi-fi

Ste_S

Started this just really out of interest to see if people still use H-Fi as such or if it's all

[old man]computers and MP3's these days[/old man].

Anyway, here's mine :-

Trio.jpg

I love this Trio turntable from the (I think) late 70's. Sounds lovely, it's suspended and has that faux Atari VCS wood effect.

Cyrus.jpg

Cyrus 2 and PSX. Again some ageing stuff here but luckily managed to get these for free. Managed to blow a more recent Arcam amp that I was using at the time out the water.

Monitor.jpg

Monitor Audio B3's. My most recent in terms in of age. Got these on eBay; luckily the seller delivered as these are sand filled and weigh a ton. Best speakers I've owned.

empeg.jpg

That's really quite hideous.

Having not had a working stereo for about three years, I bought this little Teac thing at the weekend. Nice meaty sub, lots of blue lights, and apparently you can mount the unit and speakers on the wall - which I may do when I own my own walls.

stereo.jpg

(left speaker not pictured, obviously)

Do you only listen to vinyl Ste?

Mostly vinyl, although I have been buying CD's a lot more recently. I've got a Sony DVD/SACD for those 'orrible shiny discs :ph34r: It's hard to get vinyl now I don't live in London.

I've also got about 20GB of vinyl MP3'd up on my iMac for when I'm lazy.

Here you go (Pioneer PDR509 CD-Writer, Cambridge A1 Amp, Gale speakers of some description):

myhifi.jpg

I do have a record player somewhere but haven't bothered setting it up since I moved as it's a cheapo model and the sound quality through it is awful, plus I've recorded all the few vinyl albums I own onto CD anyway.

I've also been known to attach the Ipod to it on occasion, and also used it for "home cinema" kit in my old house.

Heres what i've got :-

Sony Amp

HPIM0354.jpg

Turntable - Saving for a P3 tough :P

HPIM0356.jpg

Two Eltax Monitor III Bi-wired. Think the effect is lost because my amp can't be biwired. Oh well.

HPIM0357.jpg

And a tape player (you can still get tapes /V\ ). Something called a CeeDee player. Not sure if it'll last though. They say they don't skip and will last forever :(

HPIM0355.jpg

Future plans - I've got a stand on order so I can get it properly set-up. Get some shock absorbers for TT etc. Finally upgrade the amp to a Rega i've got my eye on (with a phono stage)

Record Player

Garrard 501

I've always fancied trying out a Garrard at some point, looked at getting a 301 or 401 but the prices on those seem to have sky rocketed lately. How does your 501 sound ? Probably going to get a Goldring Lenco 75/78 now, and when I'm brave enough do the plinth and Rega arm mods.

Like your Technics too LaParka. I've got a DD Technics SL-D3 knocking about somewhere that I need to fish out and experiment with

I've always fancied trying out a Garrard at some point, looked at getting a 301 or 401 but the prices on those seem to have sky rocketed lately. How does your 501 sound ? Probably going to get a Goldring Lenco 75/78 now, and when I'm brave enough do the plinth and Rega arm mods.

It sounds fantastic, if you are going to get a Garrard but not a 501 bite the bullet and go for the 301 it's supposedly better - Garrard 301/401

My hi-fi's now centred around my PC. So it's:

- EAC secure-ripped .flac files played using foobar2k's asio-out plugin

- Emu 1212M acting as the DAC. I ended up getting it for £80 off ebay. It does all sorts of fantastic stuff, like being able to play DVD audio at 24/196 (if you can find an ASIO-compatible software player; otherwise you have to demux the LPCM files on the DVD-V side to .wavs using DVD Decrypter; but I'll be fucked if I can hear any difference, with my current set-up at least, between that and 16/44.1 anyway), and allowing me to connect my guitar and add effects in real time.

-Decent(ish) old Sony amp

-Decent(ish) old Sony speakers

Soon to get: either a pair of Grado Sr225s or Sennheiser HD600s.

I'm surprised more people haven't gone down this route. It's so much less hassle than having to get CDs out individually to play them.

I'm surprised more people haven't gone down this route. It's so much less hassle than having to get CDs out individually to play them.

With my library being composed mostly of compressed files I still find I want to play the original CD (if I have it) when I want to do some 'proper' sit-down listening. If I just want something on in the background or I only have a file then it gets played from my Powerbook

With my library being composed mostly of compressed files I still find I want to play the original CD (if I have it) when I want to do some 'proper' sit-down listening. If I just want something on in the background or I only have a file then it gets played from my Powerbook

I can appreciate that. But .flac files are losslessly compressed - they play back exactly the same amount of information as .wav files or the original CD, so there's no loss of quality like with .mp3s. There's always the potential problem of the noise the PC fans make, but mine's pretty much silent so that's not a big problem.

I can appreciate that. But .flac files are losslessly compressed - they play back exactly the same amount of information as .wav files or the original CD, so there's no loss of quality like with .mp3s. There's always the potential problem of the noise the PC fans make, but mine's pretty much silent so that's not a big problem.

Sadly, I haven't the HD space to have all my music encoded as Apple Lossless. My next Powerbook will have the biggest HD in it that I can afford

6 cd multichanger on the cabinet... the entire read unit moves instead of the cd, cd player knows which way 'up' the cds are so if you put them in writing facing a certain way they'll always return to that way.

also the acceleration on the cd mechanism is supposedly faster than an f1 car, and is smart enough to realise when thre's fingers in the way so you can't really damage it. can be mounted in 9 different ways....... wonderful cd player and a stunning looker too. speakers aren't bad either :D

this setup is in excess of 4k but both looks and sounds wonderful.

*edit: failed to mention the remote control which'll command tv, dvd, radio, cd, video, audio memory (should you have a player with it) lutron lights and indeed your curtains should you have it set up... made of zinc as it's a naturally cooling metal (no sweaty remote) and has a rather sexy lcd display.