IGNORED

Pes 5

Beertiger

SWOS (Amiga emulated), Virtua Striker 2002 (GC), FIFA06 (XB) and WE6FE (GC)

none of them are as good in terms of football simulation. but they're fun

That's true and that's what I love about PES5, having to bide my time and create openings. It's certainly a game for the purist and I can see why people may not enjoy the latest Pro Evo.

Nice touch I saw tonight. I was Barcelona against Valencia, Ronaldinho gets hurt in a tackle although no foul is given and the game plays on. I have conrol of the ball and put it out at the half way line to get Ronaldinho treatment. After the original tackle a blue box has appeared on the screen with an exclamation mark in it. Once Valencia take their throw in they, on purpose, boot the ball half way down the pitch so that I get a goal kick and possession of the ball. Sportsmanship from AI opposition.  :)

Was there something on screen to tell you he was down injured? How did you know?

An exclamation mark in a green box appears. If you are playing online, it is the choice of your opponent whether or not to put the ball out. If he doesn't, the ref will shortly stop play so he can get treatment, then he gives a drop ball to the team who were in possession. An excellent touch. :)

Is anyone else playing the PS2 version?

I received the option file yesterday and when I start up the game now. The picture shifts by about an inch to the right, so I see a border on the left hand side of the screen.

Is that supposed to happen? I can't adjust the picture.

When I play without the memory card it is all fine.

Is anyone else playing the PS2 version?

I received the option file yesterday and when I start up the game now. The picture shifts by about an inch to the right, so I see a border on the left hand side of the screen.

Is that supposed to happen? I can't adjust the picture.

When I play without the memory card it is all fine.

You can't adjust the picture even by going into the Screen section of the options?

Are people using the D-Pad or analogue sticks to play the game (PS2)?

I laways used to play using the D-Pad, but found the crossing to be weak in PES5, so I switched to Type 5 crossing/passing, and using the analouge sticks just gives you so much more range and accuracy in your passing/crossing. Take a bit of getting used to though.

Any views on this?

I fall into this category. WE9 was badly flawed and I was unsure about the 'preview' version of PS2 PES5 but I can safely say as a veteran of ISS and all Pro Evo's so far, this final retail PES5 is the best version yet. It has a few flaws but in comparison to it's competition, old and new, it's the best out there.

Blinded by your faith.

SWOS wins!

Are people using the D-Pad or analogue sticks to play the game (PS2)?

I laways used to play using the D-Pad, but found the crossing to be weak in PES5, so I switched to Type 5 crossing/passing, and using the analouge sticks just gives you so much more range and accuracy in your passing/crossing. Take a bit of getting used to though.

Any views on this?

I prefer the d-pad. The analogue and d-pad controls are doing exactly the same thing - the game only has 8-way digital control - but most of the tricks (feints especially) are easier to pull off with the d-pad.

I prefer the d-pad. The analogue and d-pad controls are doing exactly the same thing - the game only has 8-way digital control - but most of the tricks (feints especially) are easier to pull off with the d-pad.

ITrue, and I do prefer the D-Pad normally, however crossing using the auto method i.e Type 1,2 tends to result in awful crosses that go nowhere near your strikers.

Just finding that using the manual analogue crossing (Type 5) allows you to ping the ball in from the wings exactly where you want it.

All seems a bit hap-hazard. I mean, I lose to fucking Wigan 2-0, then beat Arsenal 3-2 with the same team. Makes no sense.

Having not played PES5 yet but having played all the others in the series I have always found this. I put it down to the fact that Arsenal play much more open football which suits my type of play more than Wigans, Southampton, West Ham etcs more hassling football.

It all depends on how you play the game I reckon.

Gonna be interesting to play this though. I can't see how they could have messed this version up as much as some people on here say so. :P

That's true and that's what I love about PES5, having to bide my time and create openings. It's certainly a game for the purist and I can see why people may not enjoy the latest Pro Evo.

Disagree. I don't think there is anything 'pure' about a football game were passing isn't a joy but an unreliable chore. I don't expect to be able to close my eyes and press the pass button 5 times and find myself clean through, however I would prefer my players not to turn and kick to ball straight to an opponent.

It's the articificially created randomness that 'simulates real football' that annoys me. As I said, I want stupid errors to be mine, not out of my control. Of course, I think the 'it's realistic!' argument is just an excuse for bad programming.

I just remember coming home with ISS Pro Evo, booting it up and playing it solidly all night. When I turned it off I felt happy because it was bloody brilliant. With PES 5 I turn it off and think 'well, it's better than the rest of the football games around now'.

A shame.

But when does Realism get in the way of a good game.

Max Payne would be cack if you got shot and Max dropped to the floor crying

By the same token, Forza would be a lesser game if it had a ridge racer style drift round corners thing.

PES5 is not marketed as an arcade game.

I think some people want every single pass to go exactly to their player and every shot to be exactly where they are aiming. What a very boring game that would make.

(Please note: I'm not excusing PES5 for the god-awful referees!)

If I am facing the right way and there is a simple ball on then yes, I do want that pass to find the man every time. I don't expect a totally bizarre ball that conjures a chance for the opposition from nothing. That's not fun as the mistakes being made aren't my fault.

I don't, however, expect every through ball or cross field ball to find the target, unless I have the time to stop and pull it off with no pressure. I don't expect Rio Ferdinand to jink pass two players and fire a 60 yard pass with someone bearing down on him. That would be arcadey.

I just want to know that when I point my player in the right direction he will play a 5 yard pass without me having to worry.

I want to be beaten because the other player was better than me, not just because my defence self destructed.

I want to know that when I score a goal it was me that did it, not random crap self-destructing my opponent's defence.

How many times in PES threads and match write-ups do we see stuff like 'I felt sorry for you when Ferdinand played that mental ball to my striker...', 'You must have been gutted when so and so just stopped running when you played that through ball...', 'What was your keeper thinking...', 'Why did Terry square the ball across hiw own box when you were pointing at Duff who was in acres of space...' etc etc So many goals, match winning goals, aren't the fault of the defender or down to the attacker.

Plus, why when I am steaming down the right handside, sometimes, do all my attackers just turn around and bugger off back to the halway line!? When I was playing Miner Willy the other day I nicked the ball, popped down the wing, looked up and realised no-one was there...the Roma attackers had all decided to wander off somewhere else. Rubbish.

I hope I'm making sense here and that people realise I don't hate the series. I loved, loved, loved the Pro Evo games on the PS and I so wanted this game to be a real return to form. It's disappointment.

I think some of what you describe is due to the limitations of the current gen consoles in terms of number crunching the AI. When a version appears on the 360/PS3, such flaws will be less forgivable and even more annoying.

And for God's sake Konami, use the opportunity to sort out the fecking throw-ins, commentary and general presentation!

[big loada text]

I think it is all down to perspective.

You are comparing PES5 to much older game, and I bet there is at least a little rose-tinted glass wearing going on there!

I'm comparing PES5 to PES4, and it is a much better game online. (I've hardly played PES offline since it has been live enabled so cannot comment on that side of things.)

Obviously there are still issues with it, but as long as this version is better than the previous then it's a good thing imo.

Plus, why when I am steaming down the right handside, sometimes, do all my attackers just turn around and bugger off back to the halway line!? When I was playing Miner Willy the other day I nicked the ball, popped down the wing, looked up and realised no-one was there...the Roma attackers had all decided to wander off somewhere else. Rubbish.

I've noticed that if you don't have control of the loose ball, and the AI team was the last to touch it, sometimes your team mates will not realise you are going towards the ball and will win it. In this situation they all run back to defend. Which is a bit stupid, but hey.

PES 5 IS DA BEST EVASSa111!! DOn;t ahia a Goes!!1 noes!

We could really have just brought back the threads from the last few PES games. The debates all seem to follow exactly the same pattern.

My vote is still for the best one yet, I actually really like the passing. Although I tend to play one-player or with two people on the same team, so maybe that's protecting me from some of these prblems.