Pete Doherty Album Announced

alan cummings

I think its pretty fair. I'm sure most of the people who have just responded to this thread with "he's a cunt" are judging him on what they read in the tabloids far more than by his music.

No, he's a cunt for treating his fans like dirt. I've lost count of the number of times he hasn't bothered to show up to gigs, and some of his fans travel hundreds of miles and spend all their money to see him.

Still not convinced really. It's not a case of having Doherty blinkers on either. I went through the 80's with a real dislike for the Smiths, but still managed to see Morrisey did have his moments lyrically. As has been mentioned previously it's all a bit sixth form, sorry.

don't apologise. we all have different tastes. i was a bit wary of posting those lyrics because divorced from the song they will naturally be less affecting. it really is a beautiful song worth checking out.

i'm glad you recognised Morrissey as the best lyricist who ever lived.

In two albums they wrote about three good songs and one great one, Don't Look Back Into The Sun.

That's not genius. At best its talent hampered by laziness and drug addiction, at worst it's a richboy music student getting wasted for attention and fame and getting lucky on the few times his Clash ripoff act produces something remotely palatable.

i like pretty much the whole of the first album, and the second for that matter. most of the reactions in this thread, especially this one, are fuelled by the tabloids/NME and other such arse wipes.

it's funny how people go on and on about Doherty's drug use, which in reality is no better or worse than a thousand rock stars before him, many of which are greatly revered.

he's a young guy. he's already had two albums out and is working on another.

and why did you use the word "genius" ? because i certainly didn't.

although Morrissey is a genius.

I didn't like either of the first two libertines albums (except the boy looked at johnny), or anything that Babyshambles have released.

That said - some of the things of the babyshambles sessions are really quite good.

Talented wanker I think. Not as talented as some people say, but certainly more talented than other say.

i like pretty much the whole of the first album, and the second for that matter. most of the reactions in this thread, especially this one, are fuelled by the tabloids/NME and other such arse wipes.

You have no idea what fuels my reactions. Like I said, I think he's a cunt because he treats his fans like dirt by frequently not bothering to show up to gigs. I can't think of any other act that lets people down so consistently.

You have no idea what fuels my reactions. Like I said, I think he's a cunt because he treats his fans like dirt by frequently not bothering to show up to gigs. I can't think of any other act that lets people down so consistently.

you're clearly no fan of the man or his music, so why should it bother you ? he won't be the first or the last to behave like this it's just that at the moment he's getting the most attention.

you're clearly no fan of the man or his music, so why should it bother you ? he won't be the first or the last to behave like this it's just that at the moment he's getting the most attention.

It bothers me as I find it repellent to see somebody famous treating ordinary people like shit, just because he can. Can you name any other act that had such a poor record of showing up to their own gigs?

You know, 'junkie' doesn't automatically equal terrible person.

EDIT

I want to retract this, after reading through the thread again. Before writing it, my initial assessment was that his chemically enhanced lifestyle choice was being used as a reason by some to dislike him - so I said it.

I'm not so sure that's fair on the posters in thread now. But despite firmly believing in the comment, I take it back, but will leave it here so the thread is accurate of thoughts and opinions as they occurred.

EDIT EDIT

Arf, and then Gwynster goes and validates my post by responding to it whilst I'm providing my edit.

Are you a terrible person for getting addicted to smack ? No

Are you a terrible person while you're addicted to smack ? Yes

I'm sure that there's a tiny minority who hold down jobs and keep good relationships while addicted to their drug of choice. However for the majority I'd imagine the addiction rules their lives and informs their relationships to a detrimental effect.

It bothers me as I find it repellent to see somebody famous treating ordinary people like shit, just because he can. Can you name any other act that had such a poor record of showing up to their own gigs?

i'm not making excuses for Pete's behaviour but considering he's become (in)famous for it, it's always a bit of a gamble attending a Babyshambles gig. i went to one once where he forgot to tell the rest of the band to come so it was just him, smashed out of his mind. he even invited members of the audience to play instruments.

you have to remember that this is the man who was kicked out of his own band, yet has managed to keep it together enough and go do something else. what are the rest of The Libertines doing these days ?

Ive seen the baby shambles live twice now, and both gigs are probably the highlights of my gigging calender this year and last, yes pete was smashed but he managed to hold it together enough to put on two great performances. he entertains, its his job.

I read somewhere that the guy from razorlight (johnny something) has a drug habit just as bad as doherty's but the press choose to ignore it for some reason as pete gets more attention.

I think its a sad reflection on the country that a couple of years ago when all pete did was make great music with the libertines nobody knew who he was.

Now he's a junkie waster who seems to be washed up by the age of 26 every fucker knows exactly who he is.

an even better lyric to quote...What a waster, what a fucking waster you pissed it all up the wall.

I'm sure that there's a tiny minority who hold down jobs and keep good relationships while addicted to their drug of choice. However for the majority I'd imagine the addiction rules their lives and informs their relationships to a detrimental effect.

Don't forget: Are you a terrible person for escaping drugs rehab? CERTAINLY

I had a terrible thought about Doherty the other day, I hope the stupid git doesn't go and OD. Just imagine if he turned into a Cobain or Morrison type figure.

That won't happen. It's obvious that's the stupid little fuck's intention - the difference however is that Morrison, Cobain and Hendrix were actually talented, and wrote some memorable music. When Doherty ODs, the newspapers will make a fuss for a while, and then he'll be forgotten.

With some quite excessive secondhand experience (i.e. people close to me, but not me), and almost too close firsthand experience (i.e. was me, but after my clean friends spoke up consider myself to be very lucky not to get sucked in) some years back, I'm not sure I agree it's as black and white as that, for a large amount of cases, not just the minority who manage to cope with real life and user life combined. However, I do get what you're getting at, and don't particularly want to go into detail about my own experiences, so am happy to leave you with a nod and a 'Granted' in reply.