Sniper Elite

iangilroy

I've seen several builds over this over the years (it's been in development for *ever*) and never thought much of it. Looked really dated last time I saw it & limited compared to something like Ghost Recon. Flashpoint crowd might dig it though.

I played the demo that was on the latest Pc Gamer dvd, it was pretty average, bland graphics, clunky movement and very arcadey on the lower difficulty settings. Atleast when you raise the difficulty you get things like wind direction and your breathing that affect your aim, I don't think Rebellion will ever make a game as good as AVP again.

Ooooh. This is a good one.

Imagine Cabela's Deer Hunter, but with people to shoot in an urban environment. It plays very much like that.

I realise a lot of people haven't played Cabela's, but that single sentence above has just made a couple of people on the forum order it, because I know what the peoples like, yo.

It's comparable to Ghost Recon as well, since 90% of your time, you'll spend hiding and waiting to strike at a distance, so if you're into Ghost Recon, it's an essential, too.

Much like the Cabela hunt games, you're hunting with a rifle. Bullets are affected by gravity, wind, your own breathing and heart rate and so forth, so it's just like being there - except without the cold, misery, paralysing fear, and death.

It's the little things that make the game great - the look of surprise on the bad guys faces as a bullet goes through it, the way your little guy blends in with the urban environment, the way you can snipe someone down and injure them to draw their comrades in as we've all seen done in Full Metal Jacket. I especially appreciate the way the missions are structured with a series of very specific waypoints that ensure you never get lost or have to wonder where to go next, the fact that all the in-game options are fully customisable - from the wind, to the AI to the need to breathe and change your posture before firing - everything can be turned on and off to play the game how you like it.

It's also the only game I know of to ban the word "frottage".

I've just played the third part of the second mission - an assassination at the Brandenburg Gate. Checking my in-game clock, I saw that I had fifteen minutes to set up and find a position before striking, so I met my contact and collected a new rifle, before sneaking behind enemy lines and planting some explosives to shoot out later and eliminate their armour. I snuck back out, took up position in a hotel, planting tripwires along the way to ensure that I didn't get flanked and then sat and waited for about three minutes until the target arrived. One bullet in his head, and then I had to run like a bastard as the entire German army came down on top of me. I ran across a road only to find about six guys coming at me, so I took cover and took one or two of them out before they disappeared behind cover and waited for them to re-emerge.

The bastards flanked me. They walked all the way around the building they had hid behind and came at me from both sides. I'd imagine the enemies are terrifyingly smart on the harder AI settings.

Rest assured, Reynolds fans - I escaped. Changing my original stealthy escape plan, I made a Steve McQueen break for it and got peppered with bullets. Limping out of the level with a sliver of health.

Anyway, it's a good 'un. The guns are nice and weighty, the controls are nice and tight, the game doesn't look especially beautiful, but the graphics are functional and capture the feel of the ruined Berlin very well.

So anyway, good game. If you like dodging from cover to cover, staying hidden and shooting people in the head, this game's for you. For £17.99 it's a fucking BARGAIN. Eleventy G's.

Imagine Cabela's Deer Hunter, but with people to shoot in an urban environment. It plays very much like that.

I realise a lot of people haven't played Cabela's, but that single sentence above has just made a couple of people on the forum order it, because I know what the peoples like, yo.

:(

Was playing the new Cabela's 2006 this weekend, I spent nearly a full hour tracking down a white Elk and loved every second of it. I like the way it lets you enjoy just strolling around exploring without any pressure to do anything, it's a perfect game for sightseeing and trespassing.

I wasn't much interested in Sniper Elite, will definitely have a look now.

It's much more linear, and moves a lot faster than Cabela's games, but it still has that feel. You won't be tracking anyone for hours, though you will be moving very slowly - unlike deer, the Germans and Russians shoot back, so you have to be very slow and careful entering an area. I did sit and wait for five minutes for a sniper to pop his head up for about a third of a second so that I could BLOW HIS FUCKING HEAD OFF, though.

Get a good head shot, you're rewarded with a brief scream, a shocked expression, a spray of blood and big chunk of head flying away if you catch them in the right place. Very satisfying for the Lee Harvey Oswalds amongst us.

Sounds pretty good. How open is the environment - do you have a lot of choice in how you approach things? I keep thinking of the amount of choice in field of attack you have in Operation Flashpoint and how tense it is hiding in a bush, surrounded by squads of soldiers, waiting for your chance to mow them down and leg it. Is it as good as that?

I was hoping for a quite a pure sniping game. Is there as much in the way of "run 'n gun" that the videos suggest there is?

No, very little that I've seen so far. I think they were just trying to "jazz it up" in the vids and sell it to zero-attention-span teens. I've done a bit of close up killing with my silenced pistol, but not much.

Sounds pretty good. How open is the environment - do you have a lot of choice in how you approach things? I keep thinking of the amount of choice in field of attack you have in Operation Flashpoint and how tense it is hiding in a bush, surrounded by squads of soldiers, waiting for your chance to mow them down and leg it. Is it as good as that?

It's not as huge as Flashpoint, by any means. Imagine the size of the levels in Full Spectrum Warrior - they're like that. You'll have an area maybe three blocks by three blocks (sometimes much bigger, rarely much smaller) and in that area you'll have a number of tasks to perform and missions to complete, but you can go anywhere within the area.

But yeah - linearity of structure doesn't mean linearity of play. The areas aren't huge, but you're free to tackle them as you please.

I guess one of the main questions which must be asked is - how good is the atmosphere? Does it feel real or is it classic Playstation polygon world?

It all looks very stark, but so would FSW if they didn't have the Pandemic blur-o-filter over everything.

It all feels good - smoke billows, rain falls and pools at the edges of the road, bombs fall and everything feels just as it should. It looks and feels bleak, cold, oppressive and threatening. They've clearly modelled it on the kind of environments seen in Enemy at the Gates, and they've managed to achieve that feel very well.

I agree about not liking time limits but it sounds as though they're in keeping with the situations. On presumes a sniper would only have a limited window of opportunity to take out a target and that timings would be quite important.

I played this game for a couple of hours last night. Initial impressions were good but the more I played the more obvious its limitations became.

To get one thing straight, this IS a good game and the sniping bit is well done. What I didn't like about the game was that no matter what route you take towards your mission goal you're bound to run into several enemy soldiers.

While I'm aware that the game takes place during WW2 and you run around in a war thorn city I found it mildly irritating to run into guards in places I didn't expect. As I said the sniping works in this game but the "normal" weapons isn't as effective.

You have to press the R3 button (I'm playing the PS2 version) to bring up your scope on your sniper rifle which is fine but I was frustrated to find out that it does the same no matter what weapon you have in your hands. So there I was with a silenced pistol in my hand and thought "I'll press R3 to bring up the ironsight" but nooooo, the damn character holster his pistol and grabs his sniper rifle and brings up the scope which then result in me seeing fuck all as the enemy soldier was only 10 m ahead of me....

So as a sneaky sneaky stealth game this is good (as long as you keep the distance, this is the oposite of Splinter Cell), but if you should be so unlucky to be seen by a soldier you might as well just load your latest savegame at once.

From the first 3 hours of play I'll give it a solid 6/10 (or a weak 7/10). This might change as I get further into the game.

The controls are a bit fiddly, but they're fully redefinable, so you should never find yourself with too cumbersome a control system.

And of course the close up weapons are useless. It's a sniping game. If your machine gun were as powerful as your rifle, you might as well just run and gun.

I like what I've read until now, but I hate games that impose time limits. Have you encountered other missions with countdown timers?

Well, the in-game clock works in real time, and you'll often be told that a certain guy will be arriving at 11:30, or they're going to start attacking some base at 22:00 and you'll be expected to be ready for that time.

None of the time limits are tight - it just serves to make everything all the more "realistic".

Looking very good so far. I like the pace and the atmosphere is suitably tense and well realised, the excellent sound design gives you a strong sense of place and immersion. I like the way your movements trigger the occasional set piece, each environment seems to have a few different surprises to throw at you depending on your approach. It's full of attention to detail and clever touches that make exploration worthwhile - good for replay value I expect.

Sniping in games always forces you to appreciate and understand your environment, you'll get intimate with puddles and stacks of rubble so if slow paced games aren't your bag you may wanna approach this with caution. If you're patient and enjoy planning kills you'll love it, especially the brutal "Bullet Cam" which kicks in for headshots. You can shoot a Russian in the ear and watch as the cam switches to the tip of the bullet - great touch.

It's not a full on relax-'em-up like Cabelas but the approach and vibe is definitely similar. There's something really satisfying about taking your time in games like this, when you get into it hours can pass in a blur.

My only concern is the radar which isn't brilliantly done, hitting X to pick up objects is a niggle too but by no means a deal breaker. Looking forward to seeing more.

Sniping in games always forces you to appreciate and understand your environment, you'll get intimate with puddles and stacks of rubble so if slow paced games aren't your bag you may wanna approach this with caution. If you're patient and enjoy planning kills you'll love it, especially the brutal "Bullet Cam" which kicks in for headshots. You can shoot a Russian in the ear and watch as the cam switches to the tip of the bullet - great touch.

It's not a full on relax-'em-up like Cabelas but the approach and vibe is definitely similar. There's something really satisfying about taking your time in games like this, when you get into it hours can pass in a blur.

Well, that sounds ace. So is it a bit like 'Splinter Cell in reverse' as Rayn describes it, or Hitman in reverse? From Stroker's comments, it sounds like the latter.

I love games where I can make my own plans, rather than just following a piece of string laid down by the developer. Are there clear 'routes' through each level, or do you have time to explore the maps and choose the best sniping point?

Well, that sounds ace. So is it a bit like 'Splinter Cell in reverse' as Rayn describes it, or Hitman in reverse? From Stroker's comments, it sounds like the latter.

I love games where I can make my own plans, rather than just following a piece of string laid down by the developer. Are there clear 'routes' through each level, or do you have time to explore the maps and choose the best sniping point?

Hitman in reverse is nearer the mark than Splinter Cell, it's got the coldness and brutality of Hitman but somehow I prefer Sniper Elite.

There are multiple routes all over the place from what I've seen. I've replayed the first level a few times to get accustomed to the controls and feel of the game, each time I've played it has been significantly different depending on which route I've chosen. You can decide to find a high up vantage point to pick your enemies off from a distance, or stay down at ground level following the streets using debris and bombed out vehicles as cover. There are also routes through trenches, drainage systems, you name it. It feels very open and freeform but your goals are always clear.

Save points could potentially be an issue with a game like this but they're well handled. You get a limited amount of quick saves per level so it's up to you when to save, very handy for when you've been taking your time to set up the perfect kill from a distance. It's well thought out and seems free from frustrations even though it's quite demanding.

Hitman in reverse is nearer the mark than Splinter Cell, it's got the coldness and brutality of Hitman but somehow I prefer Sniper Elite.

There are multiple routes all over the place from what I've seen. I've replayed the first level a few times to get accustomed to the controls and feel of the game, each time I've played it has been significantly different depending on which route I've chosen. You can decide to find a high up vantage point to pick your enemies off from a distance, or stay down at ground level following the streets using debris and bombed out vehicles as cover. There are also routes through trenches, drainage systems, you name it. It feels very open and freeform but your goals are always clear.

Sounds quality - might pick it up at lunch for a 10-day trial. I do like games where you can make your own cunning plans. So much more satisfying when it all comes together.

a-team-gp.jpg

:lol:

Was playing the new Cabela's 2006 this weekend, I spent nearly a full hour tracking down a white Elk and loved every second of it. I like the way it lets you enjoy just strolling around exploring without any pressure to do anything, it's a perfect game for sightseeing and trespassing.

I wasn't much interested in Sniper Elite, will definitely have a look now.

apart from the fact your guy walks like he has been the victim of a hit and run, and he cant navigate any obstacles above sock height.

apart from the fact your guy walks like he has been the victim of a hit and run, and he cant navigate any obstacles above sock height.

Yeah, Cabelas has a few issues which need tightening up, I'd like to see it released as a full price game with a larger budget and higher production values. The animation of your guy is comedy and it'd be helpful if you could hop over fences and the like as you said.

Sniper Elite is the same, you don't have a jump button and no way of climbing over obstacles. The bullet cam from Cabelas has been lifted for Sniper Elite, I dunno what's more satisfying -shooting Russians in the ear or taking down a fox from 50ft :lol: