Serenity Box Office

RockyTheGreat

yet Joe Public still didn't flock to see it.

That's because of poor marketing.

The people who did go and see it, loved it. It really and truly is a movie for everyone. The problem was that not many people went to see it in hte first place because it had no stars and consequently gave off the sign of a Sci Fi channel TV movie.

There were reports that an American Browncoat broke his arm on the way to the theatre, and he refused to go to hospital. Said he wanted to see the movie first, then went to the hospital afterwards.

And in one of the theatres, the trailers were all played twice, and someone in the audience shouted "I bet this is hte Fox Network trying to sabotage the movie!" and the audience erupted with laughter.

Browncoats.

Fucksake.

Here's another thing - The movie's got a really shit name. You know, meaningless and a bit poofy to anyone who isn't a *snicker* "Browncoat".

A bit poofy. Lawks you've put me off seeing it now, wouldnt want any of my mates to know I've been to see a film with a poofy title.

A bit poofy.  Lawks you've put me off seeing it now, wouldnt want any of my mates to know I've been to see a film with a poofy title.

I'm just calling it as it is. It IS a bad title. Not an easily marketable title, considering it's named for a ship in a show nobody watched.

As far as I understand it, the good guys are affiliated with the losing side in a recent war, and are derisvely called browncoats by the victors. Many of the lead characters wear brown coats or jackets.

Both the coats I own are brown. Will people at the cinema jeer at me if I wear one? It's a bit chilly out.

As far as I understand it, the good guys are affiliated with the losing side in a recent war, and are derisvely called browncoats by the victors. Many of the lead characters wear brown coats or jackets.

Both the coats I own are brown. Will people at the cinema jeer at me if I wear one? It's a bit chilly out.

:D

they'll just throw things at you. Take Biglime along, walk behind him, none will connect ;)

Browncoats.

Fucksake.

Here's another thing - The movie's got a really shit name. You know, meaningless and a bit poofy to anyone who isn't a *snicker* "Browncoat".

I'm actually gonna agree with Biglime on this. Browncoats - oh please.

Now I'm a fan of Firefly, in fact I went to one of the pre-screenings of Serenity in August, and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm also a star trek and star wars fan and like sci-fi in general (i.e. I'll watch owt with robots in). Everyone is hoping that the film will be a big success, I certainly am, but here is one reason why it might not, "Browncoats".

Within Sci-fi and fandom in general there is a need for fans to obsess about their love. The problem is it puts off a lot of other people. Start Trek - oh that's just for geeks. Actually no it isn't but when all people know about it is people dressing up as starship captains and translating Macbeth into Klingon is it any surprise they might want to either keep away, or just regard it as not being for them?

Serenity we need, and we need it to do well. Browncoats we don't need.

I SO hope it's number one in the UK.

Please please please let it be Number One.

Just out if interest, why does it matter so much to you whether its number one or not??

Sounds like the sequels will be made, so pretty safe there.

And looks like you've already decided that you're going to love it anyway. So why does it matter??

I was at the premier and 90% of the people there looked to be creepily obsessed, plus 100% who asked questions at the end asked ridiculous maniac-fan questions. It was embarassing

If I had heard 1 more twat say something was shiny, well I would probably have ignored it a bit more

I was at the premier and 90% of the people there looked to be creepily obsessed, plus 100% who asked questions at the end asked ridiculous maniac-fan questions. It was embarassing

If I had heard 1 more twat say something was shiny, well I would probably have ignored it a bit more

I was considering learning to swear in Mandarin at one time, as IMO that does sound cool.

However its far too much effort.

There's always a mental element in any fandom though, and believe me as a Doctor Who fan I'm well aware of it.

e.g. Bloke in Blackpool who runs the Who exhibition there, loves telling people its real not fiction <_<

Is there any explanantion or justification in the story why the Firefly universe is a science-fiction/Chinese/Western sort of place, or is that just the way things are?

I think the explanation for the Chinese element is that they were one of if not the major Super Power left on Earth so learning the lingo was kinda pre-requisite?

I may be wrong of course

Is there any explanantion or justification in the story why the Firefly universe is a science-fiction/Chinese/Western sort of place, or is that just the way things are?

just a continuation of the China/USA superpowers thingy, if any 2 cultures would survive to propogate across the Universe Whedon thinks its these 2.

As for the Western thing, its to do with Colony worlds being the New Frontier and people just scraping through an existence. Times are hard and money' resources and crops are scarce.