Serenity Box Office

RockyTheGreat

Just booked my tickets going tonight at 7.30. I'm well excited now.

Me too, I've got tickets for the 7:30 showing and the 10:00PM one. I figure the first time I'll take it all in as an intense audio-visual experience, and the second time I'll ponder over it as a deep and multi-layered existential masterpiece.

And Andsom, I don't know what to say, man. If you can't figure out that most people on the net are joking most of the time, you're gonna be shocked and appalled for quite some time.

Here's the Whedon quote where he mentions how good the Firefly cast are and disses the Buffy cast:

"Every set has its own sort of tenor. The thing about Firefly is that this whole cast, they're extremely kind and professional, and they get along, and they help each other, and they work hard. I'm not saying my other casts don't work hard. And some of them get along, and it's great. But there's a star, and then there's the ensemble. And there's tensions on the set. It's not one big happy family. It seldom is on a television set. And in Firefly, I've got nine people, all of whom are great in a scene. Any pair of them works great. And all of them doing their best to help each other out. It's early on still. But they really feel like an ensemble than any bunch I've worked with."

It's understandable, Nathan Fillion really doesn't seem like the kind of guy who's gonna have the big ego. Have you guys seen him doing interviews? He's more like a stand up comedian, comes out with all this funny stuff.

He was at the Birmingham pre-screening and was very funny, and came across as having next to no ego.

I read a thread on an rpg forum where a guy was running a Firefly game and a convention and Nathan Fillion was at the convention, heard about it and came along and sat in. He was apparently very cool and quite happy to mix with the gamers and contribute to the game.

Hope you enjoy it. <_<

Saw it earlier and it's rather ace overall. I won't spoil it for you, suffice to say that they misbehave somewhat.

I think thats pretty much a done deal. Seeing how much I love Firefly. Unless I've fallen into the trap of over-stretching my expectations.

I havent looked forward to a movie this much in a long time :)

My opinion, copy-pasted from GR...

Well, I've just come back from seeing it, and I'm still a-buzz. Perhaps I should wait until I've calmed down, digested it and thought about it for a while...

Nah, fuck it.

Serenity in one word: brutal

Serenity in two words: surprisingly dark

Serenity in three words: ABSOLUTELY FUCKING AMAZING

See it in a film with a decent sound system and you're laughing - it's an exciting, utterly thrilling, occasionally laugh-out-loud funny, and at several points, damn tense and scary experience. One memorable sequence is utterly eerie and unnerving and the action scenes crackle with an intensity and immediacy rarely seen in the sci-fi genre.

Okay, I'm a fully paid-up Whedon fanboy, but really: Serenity is fucking brilliant, it really is. And for Eighthours - there's a marvellous tracking shot, and one effects shot that's breathtaking.

And Chiwetel Ejiofor is great too - played as a kind of evil Morpheus.

Faults? Not many - some of the characters will be too thinly-sketched for newbies and not given enough screentime for fans, there's a couple of moments that betray some harsh editing (hopefully the DVD will have a director's cut) but the end result is a streamlined yet endearingly....I want to say ramshackle, but that's not quite the right word....I guess it's a bit like a low-rent blockbuster, but with all the good connotations that that has rather than the bad ones you might expect. But don't think there's nothing spectacular in there either - a couple of action sequences are massively exciting - and all the better for not being created entirely by computer.

I suppose the highest praise I can give it is that it has the feel of a much darker version of Episode IV, with a better script.

In other words: See it. Twice.

OTT? Maybe. Fuck it though, if it gets one more person to see the damn thing than otherwise would have, I'll be a happy bunny. Loved it.

My opinion, copy-pasted from GR...

OTT? Maybe. Fuck it though, if it gets one more person to see the damn thing than otherwise would have, I'll be a happy bunny. Loved it.

me too, loved every bit of it. Best sci-fi movie in a long time. Witty,creepy,dark and above all emotional sci-fi.

Here's the first nine minutes of the movie:

http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

It's all exposition, and consequently one of the worst parts of the movie overall. It explains The Operative, the universe they live in, and River and Simon. The next 10 minutes in the movie explain Serenity, the Crew, and Reavers, and is much better. The 5 minute tracking shot inside Serenity is a great scene, loads of laughs to begin with and then some great moments. Specifically what's known to Browncoats as OMGTTS ("Oh my God the Table Scene!") where the sexual tension between Mal and Simon hits breaking point.

Here's the first nine minutes of the movie:

http://video.vividas.com/CDN1/3929_Serenity/web/index.html

It's all exposition, and consequently one of the worst parts of the movie overall. It explains The Operative, the universe they live in, and River and Simon. The next 10 minutes in the movie explain Serenity, the Crew, and Reavers, and is much better. The 5 minute tracking shot inside Serenity is a great scene, loads of laughs to begin with and then some great moments. Specifically what's known to Browncoats as OMGTTS ("Oh my God the Table Scene!") where the sexual tension between Mal and Simon hits breaking point.

It is exposition, but it's very cleverly done, so as not to harp on too much to fans whilst explaining it in a non-confusing way to n00bs. I'm not sure how Whedon could have done that bit any better. Considering I totally feared it falling between 2 stools, I think it straddled them both really well, with just the odd wobble here and there.

And Evil Morpheus?  Why, because he's black?

Fuck off: it's the way he speaks, in that slightly portentious, deliberate manner. He's also slightly lardy yet kicks ass fairly competently. Much like Morpheus. It's nothing to do with his colour.

There's also a connection in that Gina Torres is married to Laurence Fishburne.

Yeah, I think if Serenity the movie had been a two-part finale for the TV series (like, a proper finale after Objects In Space), the first half hour wouldn't be there and it'd just be the last hour and a half (with a few exceptions here and there).

Oh yeah, Mr Universe was Neil's brother from Freaks and Geeks.

I wasn't sure if I should post this or not, but figured it might make RockyTheGreat happy.....

Thanks to this thread, I've just booked 6 tickets to go see this tonight (not all for me!) so it had better be good!

The cinema we're going to in Basingstoke seemed pretty full already too, so it might make number 1 yet!

So can I get a refund from you Rocky if its pants?

You'll enjoy it. I can't believe that so many non-Firefly fans could like it so much (and neither can anyone else), but they do. Joss Whedon has done the impossible, and that makes him mighty.

Are non-fans really liking it? Cool. Is this from forums and stuff you're getting that?

Are non-fans really liking it? Cool. Is this from forums and stuff you're getting that?

I'll be able to give some feedback on this after tonight - going to see it with me are my girlfriend, my mates girlfriend, and another girl - all of whom are definitely non-fans!

Oh, and the 3 guys going (myself included) are non-fans too - never seen an episode of FireFly in my life. But I'm a bit of a geek anyway and like Buffy/Angel, so whether the girls like it is more of a test :-)

You'll enjoy it. I can't believe that so many non-Firefly fans could like it so much (and neither can anyone else), but they do. Joss Whedon has done the impossible, and that makes him mighty.

Lets face it, you would say that. I hope you're right though.

Hopefully the almost universally positive reviews will help. Listened to James King on Radio 1 yesterday and he loved it and reccomended it to non-fans.

*crosses fingers*

It should be on Newsnight Review tonight, right? I bet you they're ALL gonna love it. I wanna hear Mark Kermode's opinion on it, he hated Return Of The Sith for all the right reasons.

And Hero, yeah on loads of forums, from SuicideGirls to Christian Values and everything in between, the non-fans are loving it. A lot of the user reviews on Yahoo are from non-fans (or so they say) and it's all positive stuff. I personally don't think it's as good as The Matrix, though. Probably the best sci-fi film since.

Interesting fact about the movie: when universal got the script, they saw it as a $100 million dollar movie that would take 90 days to film. Whedon told them he could do it for $40 million and in 50 days, and he managed it. Good thing he did too, since it makes a sequel more viable now even if it's not a big hit in theatres.