IGNORED

The Prestige - Impressions from pg 3

Goose

First proper trailer has appeared online - - -

Be warned - this shows a lot of footage - possibly too much...

http://www.apple.com/trailers/touchstone/t...tige/large.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has the potential to be excellent, at least until we get a Carter Beats The Devil Movie. Hopefully we'll see Bale & Nolan go straight from this into the next Batman movie. Maybe magic is the next big thing? Ed Norton is currently making a movie in which he plays a man of lowly class who uses magic to charm a girl way above his standing.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news05/051001h.php

Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman are in talks to star in "The Prestige", the next directorial effort from acclaimed director Christopher Nolan ("Memento", "Insomnia", "Batman Begins") says The Hollywood Reporter.

Based on Christopher Priest's 1996 novel that's been adapted by Nolan's brother Jonathan, Bale and Jackman will play rival magicians in turn-of-the-century London who battle each other for trade secrets.

The $40 million project begins shooting in January with Disney handling domestic distribution and Warner Bros. doing international.

Bale is currently shooting "Rescue Dawn" in Thailand, Jackman is shooting "X3" in Canada. "Prestige" reteams Nolan and Bale after their highly successful work together with this Summer's "Batman Begins".

This sounds excellent.

This it here correct?

*Vague Spoilers*

Synopsis

Two 19th century stage illusionists, the aristocratic Rupert Angier and the working-class Alfred Borden, engage in a bitter and deadly feud; the effects are still being felt by their respective families a hundred years later. Working in the gaslight-and-velvet world of Victorian music halls, both men prowl edgily in the background of each other's shadowy life, driven to the extremes by a deadly combination of obsessive secrecy and insatiable curiosity. At the heart of the row is an amazing illusion they both perform during their stage acts. The secret of the magic is simple, and the reader is in on it almost from the start, but to the antagonists the real mystery lies deeper. Both have something more to hide than the mere workings of a trick.

• 2 months later...

Johansson Joins Nolan's The Prestige

Source: Variety

December 9, 2005

Scarlett Johansson has signed on for the lead female role in Christopher Nolan's The Prestige alongside Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Michael Caine and David Bowie.

Variety says that the project is the actress' next film. Filming starts in January and continues through March in Los Angeles.

Bale and Jackman will play rival magicians in turn-of-the-century London who battle each other for trade secrets. The title refers to the residue left after a magician's successful trick.

The Walt Disney Co. will distribute the film domestically, while Warner Bros. will handle it internationally.

Johannson's upcoming films include Match Point, Borgia, Scoop, Amazon and The Nanny Diaries, as well as the just-announced Napoleon and Betsy.

I can't decide if this sounds shit or not. It has the potential to be either, but is sounding rather towards the shit end of the spectrum. My only hope that it may not be is that you refer to them as illusionists, which makes it sound a little better.

I hope it's not shit though, sitting the The Island was bad enough, I'm not sure I can take sitting through more crap just to gaze at Miss Johansson.

It does sound rubbish from the snippet, but let me reiterate that the book is excellent. I would not be surprised if it inspired some of the Strange and Norell book, but The Prestige is head and shoulders above it.

As a massive Priest fan (read everything he's written) it's great that he's finally going to get some major exposure.

Edit: and yes it is very much about 'illusion' rather than 'magic' in the Harry Potter sense, if that's not clear.

Never read the books but cast and director wise this has me interested. Not so sure about jackman though. Has anyone else noticed Dr Cox in Scrubs' hatred of Hugh Jackman? Keeps me mildly amused.

Hey there.

I read the book recently... It's ok.. I found it a little weird. It started off being nothing like I expected (but in a good way) then we get to the meat of the story and it was all intresting and kinda entertaining stuff.. But I dunno.. Ifound it a little dry I guess. It had some good sequences that I look forward to seeing up on screen.. But otherthan that Im not sure as what to expect from it.. I am assuming Nolan is going to have to change the way the story is presented for the movie screen.

I'm not sure if I liked the book to be honest. I was more than a little let down by it.. It had some good moments... But on the whole it didnt seem to live up to the synopsis..

And the final third seems to come from nowhere (even thought it obviously doesnt...) It felt like I was reading a different book towards the end.

Man Im not sure any of the above made any sense what so ever.

Despin out.

• 3 weeks later...

*SPOILERS*

I was very disappointed with the book.

It’s a real page-turner which is crying out for clever and satisfying resolutions to it’s numerous narrative threads, unfortunately the story unexpectedly introduces an element of science fiction which for me was a disappointing way to resolve the excellent set-up.

I think the film would need to concentrate on the bitter feud between the two magicians and find a way of delivering on the mystery without descending into fantasy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Andy Serkis has now joined the cast.

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060130_gol...e_prestige.html

Andy Serkis looks set to be escaping from confines of the monkey suit and the I-mac.

The “King Kong” and “Lord of the Rings” fave has snagged a role in Christopher Nolan’s “The Prestige”, playing an assistant to a character played by David Bowie.

The film stars Hugh Jackman and Christian Bale as rival magicians who battle each other for trade secrets. The impressive support cast includes the likes of the aforesaid Bowie, Michael Caine, Scarlett Johansson and Piper Perabo.

• 5 months later...

Read the book recently and thought it was amazing, and Christopher Nolan is probably my favourite director out there at the moment..... and SCARLETT JOHANSSON!!! :( This is going to be amazing.

I wonder if they're going to include the stuff in the book about the magicians decendents... I thought it added a lot to duelling magicians story. I can't wait to find out!

ps: In the trailer, Hugh Jackson has an aussie accent... strange.

:( When I read the synopsis of this a while back I imagined it was wizards fighting it out like Gandalf and Saruman in LOTR! Not Paul Daniels style magicians....

Ah well, still looks ace, cant wait!

wizards != magicians?