IGNORED

The Prestige - Impressions from pg 3

Goose

Watched this last night. Surprisingly dark, really liked it. I think that adding a reveal (or indeed "Prestige") on the end might have spoiled it a little as I was really chuffed at working it out before hand.

I'm now not going to be able to read the name Tesla without hearing "Teh-slaaaaah" in that "Daayvid Bowiiiee" voice.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw it, and it was indeed great. :o Some criticism though:

Why was Angier's trick revealed so long before the end? Leaving the whole 'hats and cats' scene out would've made the ending much more effective, but on the other hand it shows how Borden is the real magician of the two. But still, it lost a bit of tension there.

I liked Borden's revelation, it was way simpler than you would expect and that's what makes it brilliant. I also loved the character, the difficult, schizophrenic nature of him made me sympathise more for his character while I never really liked Angier.

It's not really brilliant, but comes damn close.

There's a scene in which Borden is shown attending an exhibition where Tesla is showing a massive electrical sphere, and later one of Borden's own acts includes those same spheres (though seemingly only for visual effect, and smaller). Whether it just inspired his stage show, or whether he did meet Tesla was not made crystal clear. Perhaps the movie wants us to leave with at least one loose end, however vague it may be. I don't know.

Bit late from me here, but isn't

'Fallon' introduced well before that?

Saw this yesterday as it's on Sky Box Office at the moment, excellent film.

It's still open to interpretation whether they were actual biological twins or clones imo

If they were clones they would have been EXACTLY the same person, but how could they be if they were both in love with different women? When his wife tell him that when he says he loves her that 'sometimes you mean it and sometimes you don't' it's when he's the twin in love with Scarlett Johaansen (sp?) that he doesn't mean it.

His devotion to his trick means that he has to keep it a secret from even his wife, both of them living one life.

A poster mentioned that they thought the wife knew he had a twin ('I know what you are') but how could she have known if she was still saying to him that he sometimes means he loves her and sometimes doesn't - and also didn't she kill herself because she thought he was having an affair? If she had known he had a twin why didn't she know it was the other one who was shagging the other woman?

I really don't think you can think of there being an 'original' and then there are the clones - the point is they are all identical. Jackman's character would always want the clone dead, he wanted to kill the 'other him' as soon as he saw it and so therefore would every version of him that was made and he knew that.

Oh and a question:

How was the whole - he's been drowning his clones - a twist? Wasn't it obvious that's what was going on from the second Bowie said 'They're ALL you hat'?

I got the proper heebie jeebies when Caine said that he had lied about the man who drowned and he had actually told him it was agony.

• 2 months later...
  • 14 years later...

I’ve been meaning to watch this for years, and finally got around to it due to the Back Page podcast referencing Michael Caine and drowning people in boxes in their eBay games court episode of all things. 

Anyway, interesting reading about the reception it had on here. Loved the film myself and definitely need to watch it again knowing all the twists. 

I’d figured out there was something fishy about

Spoiler

Fallon, but figured he was a double rather than an identical twin

I didn’t realise this was based on a book either until reading this thread, so definitely need to read that now. 

I’m genuinely stunned this thread only has 7 pages and hasn’t been posted in for 14 years. In Nolan canon this film is only second to Inception for me. It is just wonderful. For me it’s the realisation that everything is laid out for you right from the beginning. It’s all there, but you don’t want to see it. And Michael Caine even tells you you don’t want to see it. It’s a masterclass in misdirection and a beautiful study of obsession and what it costs. Love it. 

40 minutes ago, cassidy said:

Books better mind 

This is no shame, btw, Priest is a magnificient writer, but far from an easy one to translate to the screen.

I've never seen a writer create such a sense of the uncanny and unsettling as Priest. He's way better at it than horror writers.

The thryme insect, as featured in The Islanders book is one of the most horrific things I've ever read, but on film would just be cheese, so Nolan did very well here, imo.

Just now, Festoon said:

This is no shame, btw, Priest is a magnificient writer, but far from an easy one to translate to the screen.

I've never seen a writer create such a sense of the uncanny and unsettling as Priest. He's way better at it than horror writers.

The thryme insect, as featured in The Islanders book is one of the most horrific things I've ever read, but on film would just be cheese, so Nolan did very well here, imo.

Ramsey Campbell. There's another example of an unsettling writer IMO.

Not read the Islanders. I shall correct this shortly. 

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

Ramsey Campbell. There's another example of an unsettling writer IMO.

Not read the Islanders. I shall correct this shortly. 

It's...something. A description of 53 islands in 53 chapters, in the Dream Archipelago, his recurring setting for many books. I was so disappointed when I saw this at first. Man was I incorrect.

I think it might be a masterpiece. It certainly features all of his main concerns and is fascinating. A book where a Kindle is a disadvantage.

1 hour ago, cassidy said:

The book was such an amazing experience, Especially if you go in blind. 

Would make it a tough read though ;)

My wife and I rewatched this last week and loved it. It had been so long I had forgotten exactly what the reveal was going to be. Nolan has done flashier films since but I'm not sure he's done better films.

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

It's...something. A description of 53 islands in 53 chapters, in the Dream Archipelago, his recurring setting for many books. I was so disappointed when I saw this at first. Man was I incorrect.

I think it might be a masterpiece. It certainly features all of his main concerns and is fascinating. A book where a Kindle is a disadvantage.

Book ordered. 

I absolutely love this movie. I also think it's perhaps Nolans best, and I can watch it over and over again. Saying that, I do have a very soft spot for Memento though because it's just so damn clever, and I still haven't seen anything like it. It manages to be complex but extremely easy to follow at the same time - which is something I really can't say the same about movies like Inception or Tenet, which seem to be overly complicated just for the sake of being overly complicated (I still like them though).

The superb cast really make this movie shine though - all the characters are so memorable, even those that don't get much screen time (eg Andy Serkis character and Tesla). Plus Jackman and Bale are superb, really bring Borden/Tangier to life. :wub: