King Kong Gone Gold

Goose

No - definitely not, please send me a PM (if you have the time, that is - I don't want to impose)

Seriously : as much as I like to unravel the intricacies of a game's story (if the story is  worth it, of course) I like it when the "gist" of the story is spoilt. When I read a new book, I always start out with the last page. Maybe it's because I cannot bear the tension... the incertainty...  :) . Plus, I'm a sucker for happy endings - getting the girl and living happily ever after, you know? I like to confine the serious/sad stuff to my real life.

What a weirdo. Seriously.

No offence taken - even if I haven't seen the original movie. Still, I know the ending, and if the game's end sequence is the same of the one in the original movie I know what to expect. I haven't seen "Peter Jackson's King Kong" (not even sure I'm going to either) however, and I did not want to assume the ending's the same - it could've been a prequel, or a parallel story (Godzilla style). So it's a remake?

Yes, it's a remake. The ending's one of the things you wouldn't change in a Remake of Kong. It's one of the best bits.

So, yes, Kong still transforms into a giant robot and flies off into space to live happily ever after.

KG

I guess.  You actively seek out things that I would stab people in the eye for doing!

Bizzarre.

The truth is, I'm not a big fan of tension/suspense (survival horror being a notable exception). I really like to identify with fictional characters - but I enjoy it more if/when I know in advance that they will end up on the "good" side of the story...

As for stories... I'm more interested in how they are told, than in what they tell.

EDIT : ADDED

You could say that I'm, at heart, a fan of romantic comedy. I agree, however, that it would be appalling if that was the only stuff I watched - so I don't, and I like to actively explore other horizons as well. It works fine; I just like to do it my way.

/cue Sinatra

I'm playing the version of this, but I'm a bit stuck.

POSS SPOILERS...

I'm in the first-person section, shortly after seeing the girl get carried off by kong. Me & the director guy just fought off a load of the flying buggers (including a fat queen one), and then progressed a bit further. We got to this area with 2 dinos in, and he ran off to the other side, leaving me to take them out.

In this area is a door needing 2 levers, an alcove leading up some stairs to a balcony overlooking the area with a fire pot, and one of the ammo drop packs.

I found one of the leavers by going up to the fire, and burning some bushes to reveal a lever, but I can't find the second lever anywhere. If this sounds familiar, can someone tell me where it is please?

END SPOILERS...

Thanks.

Oh, and someone please: how do I do spoiler tags? :P

I'm playing the version of this, but I'm a bit stuck.

POSS SPOILERS...

END SPOILERS...

Thanks.

Oh, and someone please: how do I do spoiler tags?  :P

I remember the bit you're talking about but I can't remember where the item you're looking for is. However, I put about 5 hours into it yesterday and I never spent longer than a few minutes stuck in this kind of situation - rest assured, it's round there somewhere.

Overall, I like the game. It looks pretty nice and has had some quite cinematic set-pieces and fun encounters. On the other hand, it feels incredibly linear and pretty easy - it's almost like an interactive theme park ride. There are some nice elements of game design - the way that NPCs show the way so that you never get lost, the lack of a HUD, a button to get the character to tell you how much ammo he has and so on. I'm less impressed by the endless lever-hunts and bush-burning.

So...best movie game ever (apart from The Warriors, obviously)? Probably.

I remember the bit you're talking about but I can't remember where the item you're looking for is. However, I put about 5 hours into it yesterday and I never spent longer than a few minutes stuck in this kind of situation - rest assured, it's round there somewhere.

Thanks anyway. Anyone else?

Im really getting into this now. I think its one of the few games that is really benefitting from the movie tie in.

The characters and environments really add to it. There is no pretentious convoluted videogame story going on, just some solid FPS, with some nice easy puzzles thrown in.

The only time I have come into trouble is running out of ammo and spears, but on the restart you just aim more carefully.

I dunno if its an 8/10, I will need to see what the Kong sections are like. But its certainly enjoyable.

My only gripe actually is that turning your character 180/360 degress takes forever "Jack behind you!!" Ok, gimme 30 secs, no, Im dead.

High(er) Resolution PC version exclusive to Direct2Drive...

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/668/668148p1.html

November 18, 2005 - King Kong is set to be released on Tuesday in the shops, but also online via Direct2Drive, IGN's digital distribution service. In addition to the standard version, D2D is offering a version of the game not available in the shops, a version that will push any currently available PC to the limits.

This so-called 'High-Res Edition' features massively more detailed textures, extensive use of Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0, and EAX 3.0 sound available only through a DirectX 9.0C sound card, and to give you an idea of just how enhanced the game is, here are the minimum required specs for the game to just run:

Supported OS: Windows XP

Processor: Pentium IV 3.0 GHz or AMD 3000+ or better

RAM: 2 GB

Video Card: 3D 256 MB, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 and Vertex Shader 3.0 - ATI X1800, NVIDIA 6800, or better

Sound Card: DirectX 9.0C compatible, EAX 3.0

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0C

Hard Drive Space: 5.4 GB (5GB download, 5.4GB installed footprint - standard edition is 1GB/1.5GB)

direct2drive-to-publish-king-kong-hi-res-edition-20051118040344995.jpg

I stuck this on for a quick 1/2 hour blast last night, and found myself turning it off 3 hours later. Its superb. Seriously one of the best games I've played this year. It really does make you feel like your in a movie and has made me want to see the actual film a hell of a lot more. I'd like to say more about it, but I really wouldn't want to spoil any of the surprises. Just play it. Highly recommended.

Rented and completed King Kong, what a fantastic game if oh so short. You're just walking along, minding your own business, then a huge centipede jumps out from nowhere and trys to eat your face.

One of my favourite bits is when I had just killed a group of smaller raptors after being trapped by the island's tribe. Trying to conserve ammo since it's quite scarce in game (though you always have just enough for when you need it) I was using spears then shooting them. After killing them all I grabbed another spear, as I reccomend to anyone since you never quite know when they're always needed, then turned around and one of the HUGE raptors was right in front of me.

"BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER BUGGER" *Spears then blasts it with far too much ammo*

Also, even if a creature does get a hold of you you're not helpless. A big raptor got a hold of me, so I frantically pushed the right trigger which mad my pistol on it. And it smacked the raptor on the nose casuing it to let go and fall back. I couldn't heklp thinking of the Flintstones at that point.

"BAD DINO, WILMA SPANK!"

Your companions are actually useful, and can look after themselves quite decently. Though not decently enough that you don't have to save them once in a while.

Playing as Kong is fun, but there's not much too him really. Just some swinging and smashing the crap out of T-Rexs' (which for some reason are called "V-Rex" in the game, and the raptors "Ventosaurus". Did Spielberg copyright them or something?)

Edit: Just looked it up nd they're named this because they're actually the eveolved forms of those dinosaurs. For example, the V-Rex has 3 fingers and is a lot biogger than a T-Rex.

Recommend everyone plays it, but maybe just as a rental. I've been playing it on and off since about noon today and I completed it at 10. Great game but bloody short.

• 1 month later...

fired this up on the PS2 for the first time last night after receiving it for Christmas and i'm quite astonished at how good it really is.

the art direction is spot on and evokes the spirit of the movie perfectly. the opening is extraordinary as you crash into skull island, quite literally, with it's scary rocks raising up out of the sea to peer at you. the foam and the waves all look excellent too.

it may sound obivous but playing the game is like 'being in the movie'. it flows effortlessly as your characters chat to you, give directions, help you. it never feels forced or gives you continual prompts either. the attention to detail is wonderful. your party will stand around, wipe their brow, bend puffing out of breath after a fight. good likenesses too, particularly Jack Black's character.

i'm not sure if it's the actual actors from the movie doing the voice work but it sounds like it is, and it's brilliant.

the whole package is a great companion piece to the movie which for once really does enrich the whole experience.

one last thing, and it's hard to actually put your finger on, but it definitely feels like it was made by the same guy who did BG&E. he's very good at blending setpieces into the flow of the game to the point that you don't notice. that's what makes this great. it pulls you right in by doing some pretty clever stuff that's easy to miss.

fired this up on the PS2 for the first time last night after receiving it for Christmas and i'm quite astonished at how good it really is.

the art direction is spot on and evokes the spirit of the movie perfectly. the opening is extraordinary as you crash into skull island, quite literally, with it's scary rocks raising up out of the sea to peer at you. the foam and the waves all look excellent too.

it may sound obivous but playing the game is like 'being in the movie'. it flows effortlessly as your characters chat to you, give directions, help you. it never feels forced or gives you continual prompts either. the attention to detail is wonderful. your party will stand around, wipe their brow, bend puffing out of breath after a fight. good likenesses too, particularly Jack Black's character.

i'm not sure if it's the actual actors from the movie doing the voice work but it sounds like it is, and it's brilliant.

the whole package is a great companion piece to the movie which for once really does enrich the whole experience.

one last thing, and it's hard to actually put your finger on, but it definitely feels like it was made by the same guy who did BG&E. he's very good at blending setpieces into the flow of the game to the point that you don't notice. that's what makes this great. it pulls you right in by doing some pretty clever stuff that's easy to miss.

It really is very good isn't it. I had seriously low expectations but it is all I have played over the last week or so. The way the health and ammo 'indicators' work is excellent and the whole game feels very polished. Those fucking millipede things keep making me jump too. I am preferring the Jack sections to the Kong ones so far.

• 2 weeks later...

finally got round to completing the game this evening and i have to say that i enjoyed every moment. it's dripping with beauty and atmosphere. not since Colossus have i played a game with such great art direction. it's testament to the designers that although i played it on the humble PS2 it's more pleaasing visually than any next gen titles i've played. the great thing about this game is that you always feel like you don't belong on that island. you can stop every now and again and admire it but you have to keep moving. there's always a threat around every corner.. i don't think i've seen man versus nature so well done in a game before. even when you're handed Kong to play with, you're aware that you are not him - and shift to 3rd person really helps focus on that. it's just a nice bonus touch having such power every now and again. he's brilliantly done too, conveying all the rage and emotion he does in the movie.

the most important thing in this game is the music that kicks in when you're risking your life and the screen starts fading to red. important because it's the last thing you'll experience in the game and a reminder of all that you've left behind.

overall best movie license ever made.

as good as Goldeneye is (though hugely overated) it doesn't convey the sense of being a part of the movie as successfully as King Kong does.

I agree completely. One of my games of last year - who'd have thought? I am even going to go back and unlock the extra stuff.