IGNORED

Press Start Online

Rudderless

I've been meaning to ask this for a while Chris, but what has happened to most of your writers? Phatman, Spindash and the like? You seem to have a lot of members but all the writing is being done by CC, you, Eighthours and a couple of others. I do enjoy some of your articles, but I think occasionally the last few games you've reviewed have been completely disinteresting and so it's hard to hook a reader when you're talking about a game they don't give a damn about. Well, unless it's Burnout. :angry:

I've been meaning to ask this for a while Chris, but what has happened to most of your writers? Phatman, Spindash and the like? You seem to have a lot of members but all the writing is being done by CC, you, Eighthours and a couple of others.

I, personally, don't write a huge amount for a number of reasons. Since february family stuff has taken priority - and a side-effect of such guff has been a half-assed attitude to playing games, let alone writing crap about them. I'm also graduating in the summer, so have to do the odd bit of work here and there.

Further reasons revolve around watching Neighbours and Hollyoaks (primarily to try and spot the non-character that is Wayne who appears every month or so and doesn't say anything, who spends his days at a local pub), trying to figure out what went wrong with Jonathan Creek after the first two series, copious amounts of lounge wrestling, going to the pub a fair li'l bit, listening to Busted's A Present for Everyone, heading to Church on Sunday mornings and evenings, and generally being lazy.

So there you go. I don't write that much. Maybe I'll become prolific one day. Or, more likely given my nature, I won't. But you know what they say about quantity and quality, don't you? That's right, they're both rubbish.

-Matt

FCat, you're Parmaynu right? If so, I was including you as one of the others who contributed, you're not that frequent, but you're a consistently good writer so that's fine. I still remember you're piece on hobnobs from years ago.

• 2 months later...
Guest Garth Crooks

garth_crooks_150.jpg

Hello everyone. Garth here. Press Start is Press Start, Ray, if that wasn't the case it wouldn't be the site that it is. You see, there are new pieces on Press Start, and sometimes the readers have to be a little more *composed* at the back.

Half-Life 2: Episode One review

Sensible Soccer 2006 review

New Super Mario Bros. review

Me & My Katamari review

Namco Museum 50th Anniversary review

Guitar Hero review

1337 Clique article

57369_351X180.jpg

Read and comment!

Early stages rely on puzzle solving and gravity gun combat, and it’s only so long before the exceptional design and luscious HDR lighting begin to test the patience of even the most loyal devotee.

I quite liked the early stages, loving the Citadel self destructing, the alien architecture, that desperate run across the walkway with that strong force blowing across it, the core's centre, managing to take out a load of Combine using the Gravity Gun and a metal panel etc...

Anyway thanks for a great review.

I quite liked the early stages, loving the Citadel self destructing, the alien architecture, that desperate run across the walkway with that strong force blowing across it, the core's centre, managing to take out a load of Combine using the Gravity Gun and a metal panel etc...

My disappointment wasn't with the quality of the Citadel levels as such, but more that out of all the potential areas to choose from the original (and the possibility of new areas), the Citadel was given such focus in what was a relatively short episode. I think in the original it worked as a final chapter, especially when given the new weapon as reward, but here it felt a little out of context, like I was always itching to get back to the street levels.

But agreed, the levels were indeed enjoyable stuff. Glad you liked the review, cheers for the feedback. :)

The swearing in one of the reviews spoiled the content a bit. A bit shocked to read that too, was surfing while my little 'un was with me :D I was gonna start a feedback thread on the forum but you all spend more time 'ere :D

Sorry about that, chap. Which review be the offender?

Another review to have a look at, folks...

Bust a Move Ghost

that's a nice review. but... (must... fight... grammar nazi... urges)

"every day". you play it every day. it's an everyday game, which you play every day. thanks. sorry.

anyway, despite that, i've read a couple more reviews and articles and they seems really good. nicely, lightly written, unpretentious, if a little humourless sometimes. but a really good site, i reckon.

• 1 month later...

Shameless bump right here, but hey - I contribute here, and don't spam up the place with constant mentions of the site, so what the hell.

Anyway, we've just gotten ourselves a spiffy new look - the site has been totally revamped, and we have what is commonly known as a 'raft of new content'. More to come very soon, and a brand spanking news section, which is a little empty at the mo, but will be more regularly updated than before. Yes.

Have a look, should you be in the mood. As opposed to in a mood, in which case perhaps best to leave it until you're a bit happier.

I don't like it, to be honest. It looks like someone's tried to be a bit avant-garde with the site redesign instead of thinking how visitors (and especially new ones) will use the site. The archive which consists of just pictures is such a big no-no. I feel like I'm on some sort of mystery tour when I should be getting quickly to the content I want to read.

I think you'll turn away new visitors with this look.

Had a look at the revamp, and it actually seems worse than before.

The intro to the review for 'The Ship' is bizarre, nonsensical and stupid. Also still fans of the needless swearing too, huh?

And then you fall into the trap of putting all the criticisms into the last paragraph. You also give absolutely no justification for the heart score.

And the layout of the site really isn't pleasant, either.

Yeah that redesign needs a total rethink. The navigation and layout is terrible, the icons don't make sense, it's inconsistent, fundamental design conventions are broken or ignored all over the place, the typesetting breaks a few basic rules just at a cursory glance, colour scheme is weak, it's just rotten graphic design. Whoever designed it doesn't understand what they're doing.

Don't ask me how to improve it because the entire thing needs binning and starting over. Sorry.

I don't usually like speaking badly of things people have spent a lot of time on but, yeah, it's horrible. The archive bit especially. I don't want to have to examine lots of unlabelled images to find a review.

You do realise you can see what they are by hovering your mouse over them for a sec?

Anyway, that's by the by - obviously we need a bit of a rethink. We thought the site looked a lot cleaner and less cluttered - no ads, simple logos, but obviously it's a little counter-intuitive at the moment, and we need to label things a lot better. I understand the concerns about the archive, and just having the pics as links. As far as I was aware, we were going to have an option for a text view of all the items, but that's evidently not materialised.

It's weird how people who originally hated the site's look are saying it was a lot better before though.

Thanks for the criticisms though fellas - believe it or not, it is helpful.

I can clearly see what you were trying there, and I like the main menu, but the rest of the menus are just... horrible. :) IMHO it is clearly on the right path, but it feels like it needed some weeks more work. Succes fixing it. :(

I can clearly see what you were trying there, and I like the main menu, but the rest of the menus are just... horrible. :) IMHO it is clearly on the right path, but it feels like it needed some weeks more work. Succes fixing it. :(

Cheers. So is it the "pic soup" that most people are having issues with?

The section menus shouldn't be as tricky to navigate if you click on those rather than the articles themselves.

What about how the pieces are presented - I think they're a lot easier to read than before, which is obviously significant, it's just getting there that seems to be the problem for most, right?