Gaming On The Go.

keineboom

Used to play my GBA/SP on the train all the time, but these days I mainly travel by car. On the occassions I do go by train, I bring my DS or PSP and a nice big can of beer and have a good gaming session on the go. Never had a problem with it, and most people don't seem to mind either. I mean, I'm in a train with nothing to do and I play a game. So what? What's the difference with listening to music or reading a book? Just a harmless bit of fun to pass the time, I don't see what problem anyone could have with it.

Trains, planes and buses, I always play the DS or GBA. And why not - that's what it's for, no?

The only time I've ever been so conscious of it was when a group of possibly drunk girls asked me what it was. People just ignore you, same as they'd ignore a guy reading a book or fiddling with tracks on an iPod.

My mates even borrowed my laptop on a plane to play Super Mario World. Hardly inconspicuous, but who cares? You'll never see these people again.

Why should you be looking like a geek when playing a handheld, gaming console in public?

They are handhelds, you know like the cellular phones, you hold them,

you use them in public right?

Nothing unethical at all!

Get over it! :unsure:

I'd just feel like too much of a twat, especially in the pub or somewhere like that.

Pub gaming is great, I've played Advance Wars with a mate over a few pints and a winner and it was great. There was no pressure to take your move and we played at a nice relaxed pace, we did get some funny looks though. I doubt I'd play Mario Kart or something similar, I don't think I'd be able to stop myself from shouting and a whooping.

I've no problem playing on the bus or train, so long as the journey is long enough to make it worth while.

I always game on the go. And I'm SO proud of it. It's my way of being an exhibitionist. I love it when I see all those people going "wtf that metal dude is playing on a gameboy thingie."

Wow! You're made out of metal?! :unsure::D

Advance Wars 2 & Zelda: The Minish Cap on GBA made the time fly past on a couple of coach journeys to London/Bristol.

I actually find it really difficult to play the DS whilst moving. Other than that I don't have any hang-ups.

I'd normally take my SP (or more recently the GB Micro) as you can just shove it in a pocket when you're done.

i get awful motion sickness when reading on the bus or in a car so i presume it would be the same with games. also, the ds is too damn big to get in a pocket so i dont really carry it around all that much, which is whats tempting me toward the micro. but if im on a train or plane the motion thing doesnt get me so ill happily play on my handhelds all the time.

Whilst I'll happily play games on the go (bus, train), I'd draw the line at talking to my DS in public. It's intrusive to other people and I like to keep myself to myself.

Similarly, I don't have the volume up (and don't wear headphones either). I reckon that I've not heard the music in around half of my handheld games. And games that require you to hear things? They get stuck at the bottom of a drawer and forgotton about.

Similarly, I don't have the volume up (and don't wear headphones either).  I reckon that I've not heard the music in around half of my handheld games.  And games that require you to hear things?  They get stuck at the bottom of a drawer and forgotton about.

Oh yeah, I do that too. Although I've found that not many handheld games really require you to hear things.

Playing Lumines with the sound off is just a crime though.

Since getting Meteos (and Advance Wars, yesterday) I've been playing the DS on the train a lot more. It's a 90 minute journey each way so I get a lot of gaming done and it really passes the time - I did one Advance Wars mission this morning and found myself at London Bridge, I don't think I looked out the window once. I usually wear headphones, plugged into either the DS or my iPod, and I'm really not bothered about what others think - my train is full of people using laptops and Blackberries anyway.

It's shame it's always one player though, I did have an idea a while back to set up a website matching service where you can enter what trains you regularly catch and see if anyone else is on there with a DS/PSP.

I found out this week i cannot play Ridge Racer on the tram.

My head thinks my body is sliding one way, when my body is snaking another. I went dizzy.

So i just read edge.

I once fell out of a chair playing Wipeout 2097.

I'm not brave enough to try playing Pure in public.

I play DS and PSP on the bus home from work, although I find that the journey is too bumpy and the lighting too inconsistent for anything twitch, preferring instead something turn-based or adventurey.

I enjoy a drink on my own in the pub, it's a good way to unwind, and I often play there too. In fact it's annoying sometimes because so many people come up and talk to me about it...

Sometimes my girlfriend will be with me and we'll both play. We can and do talk for hours and hours but sometimes it's nice just to be quiet, you know? She'll be on her DS and I'll be on mine or my PSP, or we'll take it in turns to do Crash Junctions on Burnout while the other one reads the paper.

We have some drinking mates at our local with various machines too. We haven't got round to it yet but a BomberMan DS tournament is on the cards, as is some Winning Eleven and Mario Kart. Why not?

I would be cautious about getting my PSP out at night on certain bus routes though I have to say, but I don't really give a damn about what anyone thinks of me. Having said that though, I'd probably draw the line at voice commanding my Nintendog in public.

I play my DS on the bus and train and I really don't give a fuck what people think.

"... if I saw someone else on public transport playing a DS or PSP I would consider them to be either a show off or a geek/child molester 'look at my handheld, kiddies!'

Unbelievable.

These days I have to play something to stop myself from falling asleep on the bus. That's very bad round these parts, one of my mates fell asleep on the bus home once, and when he'd woken up, he realised that someone had stolen his trainers!

Not once have I ever worried what other people thought of me while playing. I don't usually do it if the bus crowed though. Being a big guy, if I don't get a seat to myself I have to perch on the edge as my legs won't fit - I need all my concentration to stop myself from falling off!

I also played my PSP in the cinema while waiting for the trailers start, didn't feel the least bit weird even though I imagined it would.

I play DS and PSP on the bus home from work, although I find that the journey is too bumpy and the lighting too inconsistent for anything twitch, preferring instead something turn-based or adventurey.

I enjoy a drink on my own in the pub, it's a good way to unwind, and I often play there too. In fact it's annoying sometimes because so many people come up and talk to me about it...

Sometimes my girlfriend will be with me and we'll both play. We can and do talk for hours and hours but sometimes it's nice just to be quiet, you know? She'll be on her DS and I'll be on mine or my PSP, or we'll take it in turns to do Crash Junctions on Burnout while the other one reads the paper.

We have some drinking mates at our local with various machines too. We haven't got round to it yet but a BomberMan DS tournament is on the cards, as is some Winning Eleven and Mario Kart. Why not?

I would be cautious about getting my PSP out at night on certain bus routes though I have to say, but I don't really give a damn about what anyone thinks of me. Having said that though, I'd probably draw the line at voice commanding my Nintendog in public.

Where do you live?

And why do I never see anyone in any pubs near me playing games??

Think someone should set up a pub gaming night website planning type thingy :-)