Trauma Center

rgraves

Just ordered this, looks awesome.

Want

Loving Castlevania DS at the minute,

Meh

have Ouendan on the way,

Got (its great! best game on the system - just pipping Meteos to the post)

and now this,

Want

and I want Phoenix Wright.  Too many good games! :(

Got (the special edition version with the funky stylus and pendant, and manga and soundtrack!) - not had much of a look in yet as the missus hasnt taken it out of her DS since we got it

Oh, and I have Lost In Blue waiting to be played.  :)

Want - is this actually out now?!

Damn

Oh and I also need Advanced Wars and Sonic Rush (maybe). DAMN YOU DS! I need to save money! :(

Christ almighty, I got frustrated with this last night. Overall it's great, but there's one or two horrendous lapses in game design, with one of the worst being the nurse's interruptions which you have to tap through even as your patient's vital signs are weakening and you're waiting to administer an injection that'll save their (and your) skin. That's cost me on two levels and it's immensely annoying.

Quite a good story though (poorly presented mind), and I've just done two GENIUS levels in a row.

.::: Got this yesterday and been playing with it today. So far it's great. But seriously 'bullet-time'? :(

Anyway, the tension is great, and I feel an instant urge to replay operations for higher grades, which actually can be done via the Challenge menu! Joy!

But indeed I wish there was a way to ignore or automate the nurse-messages during operations. It hasn't been that big of a problem yet luckily but I can see it getting in the way.

If your looking for something different it's certainly a must-buy.

God, I love the DS.

I were doing great up until chapter 2-something when you have to remove the tumours (or polyps, i forget which) from the guys intestines and it suddenly got rock fucking hard. I may be missing something though. It is something different though.

.::: That one is pretty easy. Just be sure to "tranquillize him to hell and beyond" (as I like to call it) with the green stuff. The one after that is pretty intense, and the first bullet-time moment but nothing you shouldn't be able to handle if you practised the first operations.

I lost my first patient on the one after that one. As I wasn't paying attention to what to do. :(

damn you Nintendo for producing the greatest console since the SNES...

I don't have enough time in the day anymore what with having to hold down a job, a marriage and a general social life to play all these great games.

Thankfully, due to their nature, they won't age badly so I'll be able to play them next year quite happily.

.::: Sheesh, had an operation that required quite some dedication, skill and insightful use of the Healing Touch (bullet-time effect). Took me a few tries before I figured out the perfect order and how to cut some time with some procedures. It's incredibly intense, but since operations don't take too long, failing at them isn't frustrating. :)

Had this a few days now, it's great but I haven't played that much of it thanks to Ouendan.

The operation I'm on now is quite hard and needs me to use the Healing Touch.  Still, the bloody things keep bursting on me.  :blink:

.::: That's the one!

The best way I found is to zoom back to the center-bottom so you can at least inject all spots from one viewpoint. Using the Healing Touch there I took out two of the fastest growing arteries. After that the Healing Touch usually wears off, but with two down it should give you enough time to inject all three other until one is small enough to take out. Zoom out and in as applicable here. I also found that you can cut multiple out and that the bleeding won't occur until you actually drag them away. Use that as a breather.

The difficulty level really peaks and troughs, doesn't it? I've completed about 3 or 4 piss-easy ops in a row after a couple of absolutely rock-hard ones. I also think the seeming-randomness of the scoring system kind of puts the kybosh on the Challenge Mode being worthwhile. Well that, and the fact you have to tap through the nurse's instructions EVERY SODDING TIME.

Other than that and the very rudimentary story presentation (see Phoenix Wright for how it should be done, Atlus) the core gameplay is compelling and different enough to overcome those flaws. Should own rather than must own, but it's still nice to see something this unusual get a Western release.

.::: Indeed, the nurse is becoming a pain, especially in challenge mode where she just shouldn't be imo. Still not annoying enough to keep me from playing, but still.

I like the randomness of the operation difficulties, as you won't get last-second life-savers everyday. I'd like to know how the socring system works though. Replaying the first operations perfectly (imo) still gets me a C.

Where's everyone up to?

I'm currently on 4-6, and I've been informed the levels go up to 6-10. Though no doubt some of the "stages" will be just conversation sections.

Fave sections so far?

Spoiler for chapter 3 follows...

The bomb level was marvellous - something really different that could actually form the basis for a game on its own - several different types of bomb disposal, with an exciting backstory? Could well be a winner. The following stage with the turbulence was great too - that extra element made it more tense, and also made you take your time even as the clock was ticking. A fairly routine op enlivened by a well-implemented environmental effect.

I'm up to 6-2, certain bits are ferociously difficult and badly explained (I think it was 5-9 where you have to NOT do something until the very end but there's not really any way of knowing until you've failed it six times and gone on gamefaqs).

I quite like the mix of tricky and easy ops, though. It's much longer than I was expecting, and apparently there are bonus ops when it's finished.

• 3 weeks later...

I've recently got the game and been playing it the past few days - hit a brick wall with 2-4 also. No matter how fast I try and cut the blips out, and pump the anti stuff into the patient they always end up copping it :wub:

No idea how to score higher replaying the 1st 2 Chapters mind. Scored an S rank, a few A's and a B with the rest being C's. Trying to top your previous score is addictive as hell.

I agree that replaying the chapters the nurse does get annoying but hey ho - it isn't the end of the world and it's still a good game ;)

I've recently got the game and been playing it the past few days - hit a brick wall with 2-4 also.  No matter how fast I try and cut the blips out, and pump the anti stuff into the patient they always end up copping it :D

No idea how to score higher replaying the 1st 2 Chapters mind.  Scored an S rank, a few A's and a B with the rest being C's.  Trying to top your previous score is addictive as hell.

I agree that replaying the chapters the nurse does get annoying but hey ho - it isn't the end of the world and it's still a good game :D

2-4's a stupid difficulty spike as it gets easier for a fair bit after that. I think 5-9's the next hard one, and I gave up then because I was just getting too frustrated with it and I didn't give a shit about the story.

And it's far too hard to tell exactly how to do things better - seems slightly too random to be well-suited to a rank-besting mode.

Not bad though, and a sequel with better presentation, fewer nurse interruptions, an improved story and a moderated difficulty curve would be a must. Superb use of the touchscreen too.

• 1 month later...