So Then, Fifa 06 Vs Pes5

BlinkyBear

It's that time again, and for the first time i can recall, i'm having reservations about the new Evo game, mostly because of the bashing it seems to be receiving in the Evo thread.

FIFA 06 has had a bit of an overhaul, and now seems genuinely worth a purchase, but having played it for 10 minutes, the game still feels slow and overly-weighty and the controls seemed too 'tight.'

I've been looking forward to the new Evo for a while, especially the possibilities of the PSP link up, and am thinking of getting both PS2, and PSP versions, but is FIFA the way forward this year?

Its been a long time since i've seriously checked out a Fifa game. They got so shit at one point while PES was superb that I have never gone back.

I really do hope the slating PES5 has taken is the usual over zealous posting on this forum.

I'll still be buying PES5 when it launches and maybe the PSP version too.

What ?

Gameplay-wise there's no comparison between them.

Pro Evo 5 is too close to 360 launch for me and it's starting to suffer from EA-itis i.e annual updates.

I'd get Evo5 if the xbox live integration had received a significant overhaul but I don't believe that to be the case.

WTF? Read the PES5 thread. Winning Eleven 9 deservedly got a 'bashing' in its thread but there's plenty of praise for PES5 in its one. There's improvements and there's backward steps as per usual with every Pro Evo release.

Yes, there is alot of praise in the Evo thread. But i don't think i've ever heard so much negativity for an Evo game to date.

WTF? Read the PES5 thread. Winning Eleven 9 deservedly got a 'bashing' in its thread but there's plenty of praise for PES5 in its one. There's improvements and there's backward steps as per usual with every Pro Evo release.

You are right mate.

The improvements have always outweighed the problems for me so I expect PES5 will be the same.

Tell her to get that one.

Cheers guys. I'll take all of that into consideration, and probably tell her to either get 3 or 4 (cos she hasn't got tonnes of cash, and her hubby will be a casual gamer anyways).

Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread, so as you were...

Read the PES5 thread. Winning Eleven 9 deservedly got a 'bashing' in its thread but there's plenty of praise for PES5 in its one. There's improvements and there's backward steps as per usual with every Pro Evo release.

Agreed. I hated WE9, but think PES5 is great. It's not perfect, obviously (they always fuck something up), but overall it's great.

There is a lot of criticism around, certainly, but you always get that with new PES games. The key test will be when we all get some good online sessions in. At that stage, anyone still claiming it's shit will be labelled certfiably insane. :D

Having said that, um, I haven't played the latest Fifa yet. I thought the last one was pretty decent, but never a PES rival in a million years.

Neither FIFA 06 or PES5 are great updates imo - both companies treading water until next gen?

BUT... WE on PSP is fantastic.

Is PES5 on PSP going to be exactly the same as WE?

Or is there going to be any enhancements???

PES 4 --> Shockingly bad

PES 5 --> Shockingly bad plus a few more annoyances

FIFA '06 ---> Pure arcade football fun

Basically FIFA '06 is PES 5 with shit graphics, less moves and none of the little annoyingly tedious things like shitty referees and God awful passes that can be found in Konami's game.

And of course FIFA has the most teams and proper name/badge/kits/players for each of them. Which is nice.

No contest really.

but Fifa has never felt right since Fifa 98.

What would you define as 'right'? FIFA is about 300 times less realistic - in terms of movement, physics, tackles, shots, passing, refereeing etc. - than PES 5 but those are the exact reasons as to why FIFA is the better game in my eyes. There's hardly any stoppages, freekicks are rarely given except for slide challenges, set-pieces are actually a useful form of attack, the ball ricochets around off of players legs rather than being glued to the players feet, passes go where they are told to - they don't go where Konami thinks you want them to go.

It's basically just a really fun game without any of the MASSIVE annoyances that the PES series seems to have in every new incarnation.

PES 4 --> Shockingly bad

PES 5 --> Shockingly bad plus a few more annoyances

FIFA '06 ---> Pure arcade football fun

Basically FIFA '06 is PES 5 with shit graphics, less moves and none of the little annoyingly tedious things like shitty referees and God awful passes that can be found in Konami's game.

And of course FIFA has the most teams and proper name/badge/kits/players for each of them. Which is nice.

No contest really.

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start. :P

What would you define as 'right'? FIFA is about 300 times less realistic - in terms of movement, physics, tackles, shots, passing, refereeing etc. - than PES 5 but those are the exact reasons as to why FIFA is the better game in my eyes. There's hardly any stoppages, freekicks are rarely given except for slide challenges, set-pieces are actually  a useful form of attack, the ball ricochets around off of players legs rather than being glued to the players feet, passes go where they are told to - they don't go where Konami thinks you want them to go.

It's basically just a really fun game without any of the MASSIVE annoyances that the PES series seems to have in every new incarnation.

FIFA doesn't feel like football. Neither does PES to an extent but it feels more like it than FIFA has ever done. The thing that sucks more than anything about FIFA games is the blatant sweet spots to shoot from that are very reminescent of football games from the amiga days. Unfortunately PES4 is the first PES ever that I can turn round and say 'yes the game had variations of sweet spots and it suffered because of this'. This did not become apparent for many months whereas in FIFA 2005 it became apparent after several days how to score from a corner virtually every time.

This is so wrong I don't even know where to start.  :P

What's wrong with it?

PES is filled with all sorts of bugs. FIFA isn't trying to play the perfect game of footie (or maybe it does and they haven't had a very good go at making it :D) so it doesn't suffer very badly from misplaced passes or bad referees like PES does because it's much more controlled. You're more restricted in what you can do, but the things you can do are done so much better (bar the still archaic shooting system) than in PES.

To be honest I'd prefer a 'best of both worlds' --> PES' shooting system, ball physics, goalkeepers and team customisation with FIFA's referees, passing system, offside system, advantage system, running system and analogue control.

FIFA seems to have the greatest amount of things I like so that's probably why I'm enjoying it more.

EDIT: Oh, and Konami seriously have to get some kind of GUI designer in, pronto.

my problem with fifa (based on 05, not 06) is that it feels like it's trying to impersonate pes rather than do it's own thing. it's not arcadey really - i found it even harder to score in than pes. i's just a poor attempt at realism. i liked it more than pes4 though for some reason.

if, as you say, 06 is different then hm.

Not to mention the fecking cheating ai on 06. What a crock man, cpu goes down to 10 men they become the best ever and score nearly every time. Its unstopable as well dont matter if you take them out they will score from the freekick. Pes5 is sublime compaired to the crock of shit tat is fifa 06, why does it always feel like my players are running and turning in sand pits on fifa. Pes when mastered offers so much deep gameplay fifa just doesnt get a look in.

What's wrong with it?

:P

You overlooked my second post!

FIFA doesn't feel like football. Neither does PES to an extent but it feels more like it than FIFA has ever done. The thing that sucks more than anything about FIFA games is the blatant sweet spots to shoot from that are very reminescent of football games from the amiga days. Unfortunately PES4 is the first PES ever that I can turn round and say 'yes the game had variations of sweet spots and it suffered because of this'. This did not become apparent for many months whereas in FIFA 2005 it became apparent after several days how to score from a corner virtually every time.