So Then, Fifa 06 Vs Pes5

BlinkyBear

Pes when mastered offers so much deep gameplay fifa just doesnt get a look in.

That's one of the main reasons I can't stand PES.

I love my football but for some unknown reason footie videogames don't interest me like the the real thing and so I just want a quick blast every now and again with my mates or online. I can't be arsed spending months learning every nuance and trick just to score a single goal but instead just want to turn the thing on and look like Henry on speed within minutes and have a laugh.

Fifa does that job admirably although I think I'll stick to the 2005 version as it seems so much better than this years. It doesn't have Wayne Rooney on the cover either. :P

What's wrong with it?

PES is filled with all sorts of bugs. FIFA isn't trying to play the perfect game of footie (or maybe it does and they haven't had a very good go at making it :P) so it doesn't suffer very badly from misplaced passes or bad referees like PES does because it's much more controlled. You're more restricted in what you can do, but the things you can do are done so much better (bar the still archaic shooting system) than in PES.

To be honest I'd prefer a 'best of both worlds' --> PES' shooting system, ball physics, goalkeepers and team customisation with FIFA's referees, passing system, offside system, advantage system, running system and analogue control.

FIFA seems to have the greatest amount of things I like so that's probably why I'm enjoying it more.

EDIT: Oh, and Konami seriously have to get some kind of GUI designer in, pronto.

listen to this man.

and FIFA 06 is millions of times better than 05 by the way.

and FIFA 06 is millions of times better than 05 by the way.

Tell me more please. I'd honestly like to hear why as I'd still consider it if there's some improvements that I've missed.

Edit: I'd really like to know whether they've done that classic EA sports trick of dropping some options from last year while adding others as that pisses me off. Does it still have customisable competitions, players etc?

:)

You overlooked my second post!

FIFA doesn't feel like football. Neither does PES to an extent but it feels more like it than FIFA has ever done. The thing that sucks more than anything about FIFA games is the blatant sweet spots to shoot from that are very reminescent of football games from the amiga days. Unfortunately PES4 is the first PES ever that I can turn round and say 'yes the game had variations of sweet spots and it suffered because of this'. This did not become apparent for many months whereas in FIFA 2005 it became apparent after several days how to score from a corner virtually every time.

Well my reply was to both of your posts really, I just didn't quote both :P

Tell me more please. I'd honestly like to hear why as I'd still consider it if there's some improvements that I've missed.

Ive been waiting for Syncronated to give his opinion, but he offered no explanation why fifa is the superior update this time.

So anyone? Why is one a better game than the other?

Ive been waiting for Syncronated to give his opinion, but he offered no explanation why fifa is the superior update this time.

So anyone? Why is one a better game than the other?

I have yet to play FIFA 2006 yet but I have been told it's a lot laggier online than FIFA 2005. EA broke Tiger Woods 2006 online so I can believe this.

Edit: I'd really like to know whether they've done that classic EA sports trick of dropping some options from last year while adding others as that pisses me off. Does it still have customisable competitions, players etc?

haven't played it online, but -

the far-too-easy free kicks and corners have gone

the whole game is much more free and loose than 05, play feels open and the unexpected can and will happen

players actually move out of position now, and will make intelligent runs automatically. full-backs will overlap etc. and if they don't do it automatically you can tell them to do it

on-the-fly tactics are very easy to use and effective

you can choose the full PES ("new") control setup (including calling a second defender and having pressing on the pass button) and either digital or *analogue* direction

everything (from players and transfers to national squad selections) is fully customisable with no arbitrary limits on anything

it has much better lighting and atmosphere than any other football game I've played and specific chants for a ludicrous number of teams

you now have a close control/shielding modifier which allows you to stop the ball dead (like R2/black in PES4) and roll it under your foot etc

passes, chips, through balls are all very controllable and effective (better players will place through balls more accurately as well)

you have a trick modifier button which basically dummies and drops your shoulder in the direction you press, and can be used to dummy over the ball completely instead of receiving it, or just take a tricky first touch

negatives: basic formation settings; some slowdown; career mode is still fairly limited (although still miles better than ML); crap menu music

summary - I'm very, very impressed. and I hate EA (although I also hate Konami so, meh)

it has much better lighting and atmosphere than any other football game I've played and specific chants for a ludicrous number of teams

Pretty much everything you say is spot on FIFA '06 has been great fun so far (not played online yet).

But that comment above especially. There's been a few local chants I've recognised but by far the greatest one was a slightly muffled (for obvious reasons) "Warnock's a wanker" when playing at Hillsborough <_<

I've got Fifa now too. I hope it's as good as SU says. The addition of PES-style controls immediately makes it a healthier proposition, as it's always done my head in switching from one to the other.

Having said that, I'm absolutely loving PES5 right now. The more I play it, the better it gets, and I haven't even started the multiplayer yet (DAMN FUCKING PS2 ONLINE BOLLOCKS. Ahem, sorry about that). Oh, and anyone saying you can't score from crosses is mad: it's easy, just aim them with the D-pad! They're better than before, certainly.

And Sith - Blindly dismissing the opposition before you've played it is nonsense. If we all keep doing that, where's the incentive for Konami to improve. PES fans NEED Fifa to be good, because healthy competition is the only way KCET will get the kick up the arse that they need to get this series moving again. They've had it too easy for too long.

So then....is FIFA '06 worth buying or not? Most reviews appear to have deemed it mediocre at best, but this thread has seen it given a fair amount of praise. I'm tempted to buy it tomorrow, but I have reservations - the last FIFA game I played is '04, which I bought and enjoyed for a spell, but ultimately ended up playing it far less than PES3. FIFA just felt a bit rigid, a bit stiff, a bit slow. Not to mention the vastly inferior shooting....

I cannot stress how addicted I am to this now.

I'm playing career mode as the OWLZ and building a good young squad.

the great thing is, unlike previous FIFA games, this one gets better the more you play (as opposed to much worse...) it just opens up and becomes a thing of footballing beauty. you have to work for space and your teammate AI is far better at helping you do this than 'other' games. it's the first game I've played where holding the ball up actually works.

the youth scouting and transfer systems are also simple, elegant and very useful.

I have also saved a couple of nice replays once I realised you could.

GIVE IT A CHANCE. by all means get it from GAME and 10-day it if you can't get into it, but it's great.

Didn't someone on here like it on the DS?

Bought it yesterday in Game intending to 10 day it anyway and took it back this morning. Awful. The same fluffy controls, immensely powerful shots with no backlift from ridiculous angles and incredibly out of date for a game built on licences.

Didn't someone on here like it on the DS?

Bought it yesterday in Game intending to 10 day it anyway and took it back this morning. Awful. The same fluffy controls, immensely powerful shots with no backlift from ridiculous angles and incredibly out of date for a game built on licences.

Why did they complete the squads less than 10 days before the close of the transfer window, surley it would have made more sense to wait?

I've been playing FIFA06 for a bit, first FIFA game for a long time and it has improved from the last incarnation I played but it's still shit. The only redeeming feature is that I get to play as Ipswich with our own kit etc.

That is actually why FIFA will always win to the mass market, the attraction of these games is to play as your team. Shame PES doesn't and won't have it. :D

Get WE6FE. Don't bother with any further football games and remain safe in the knowledge that you have the best footy game in any series.

Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand and say "no more" when it becomes quite apparent that each update is adding fuck all and only muddying what was briefly perfect.

Get WE6FE.  Don't bother with any further football games and remain safe in the knowledge that you have the best footy game in any series.

Sometimes you just have to draw a line in the sand and say "no more" when it becomes quite apparent that each update is adding fuck all and only muddying what was briefly perfect.

there's so little off-the-ball player movement in WE6FE that I have trouble playing it now. attacking patterns are so limited by this. you also can't trap the ball properly like in PES4 and F06. sorry, WE6FE, I have failed thee.

Get WE6FE.  Don't bother with any further football games and remain safe in the knowledge that you have the best footy game in any series.

This is just rubbish. WE6 / PES3 is possibly the weakest game in the series. Obviously the Gamecube corrected some control issues with it's one and only version of PES but the actual core of the game was badly flawed. Personally I felt outside of the broken WE9, WE6 / PES3 had far to many bizarre goalkeeping moments. PES5 is possibly the game WE6 / PES3 should have been.

This is just rubbish. WE6 / PES3 is possibly the weakest game in the series. Obviously the Gamecube corrected some control issues with it's one and only version of PES but the actual core of the game was badly flawed. Personally I felt outside of the broken WE9, WE6 / PES3 had far to many bizarre goalkeeping moments. PES5 is possibly the game WE6 / PES3 should have been.

I thought PES 3 was by far and away the best in the series, sure it had flaws, but the pace was just right, and the good far outweighed the bad.

I am glad Konami have slowed down the pace of PES5 compared to the awful in every respects PES4, and hope that PES5 can now replace PES3 as my most played footie game.

I used to be a fan of the old Fifa games in the megadrive days but got fed up with the annual updates that didn't include very much. However... (and I'm not being a fanboy here)... I've read that the DS version is very good and worth a punt. Does anyone have it? Is it true?