IGNORED

Xbox 360

rubberducker

Billy They are lying to you :ph34r:

You mean both the stores that told me they wouldn't be having enough units in to cover my pre-order, so that I'm best to have a look elsewhere on the day on the off-chance? The ones saying spend your money elsewhere rather than chancing it with us? I don't think so.

Random game scenario:

I originally pre-ordered in July, so early that they gave me a PSP pre-order slip with 'XBox 2' scrawled on it, I paid the £20 deposit there and then. I went back in later to confirm I wanted the Premium pack and had a new pre-order filled out to state that but I wasn't really paying attention and now have a pre-order for the 3rd of September, with a new receipt and everything.

It should have struck me before that I was probably bumped down the queue, are GAME likely to have my original receipt or any proof that I made the original order in July?

are GAME likely to have my original receipt or any proof that I made the original order in July?

No, you wont be getting one on launch most probably.

Only the preorders from the 18th August or whatever actually count towards getting a unit, so if youre the 3rd of September, you might want to be looking elsewhere!

Random game scenario:

I originally pre-ordered in July, so early that they gave me a PSP pre-order slip with 'XBox 2' scrawled on it, I paid the £20 deposit there and then.  I went back in later to confirm I wanted the Premium pack and had a new pre-order filled out to state that but I wasn't really paying attention and now have a pre-order for the 3rd of September, with a new receipt and everything.

It should have struck me before that I was probably bumped down the queue, are GAME likely to have my original receipt or any proof that I made the original order in July?

I doubt it very much to be honest. I wouldn't take the chance if I were you – get on the phone to head office and explain the situation if you want to be sure.

Yes they do. My local indie and Gamestation both seemed to know exactly how many units they had secured for day one. The guy at Gamestation also claimed that they would be getting a further small batch of machines before Christmas.

I'd say the Gamestation are bullshitting you - local manager knows nowt about this, nor does my mate back home (manager).

I'd say the Gamestation are bullshitting you - local manager knows nowt about this, nor does my mate back home (manager).

Admittedly, the guy I spoke to there wasn't a manager, but I don't understand why he'd tell me that they were getting 14 units in for day one when my order is nowhere near close to that figure. If he wanted to bullshit me so that I would keep my pre-order there, surely he'd claim that they're getting plenty in?

The main reason I took his direct answer as truth (and that some stores seemed to now know how many units they would be getting) is that I had been in my local indie five minutes before, where I spoke to the manager. He produced some kind of file with X360 branding, which looked very much like an official pre-order folder. He told me I was three places off securing a machine for the initial batch, and that he couldn't guarantee me a machine before Christmas, or indeed soon after. Again, I don't see why he would lie to me in this instance.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I had previously popped in to the indie three or four times over the last few weeks to see if they had been told how many units they'd be getting. Each time they were straight up, telling me they were still waiting to hear.

Right, just got off the phone from my local Tesco. They are not going to be selling the 360. Not sure if that applies with all stores or not.

how big is your local Tesco, is it a huge hyper-market sells everything type of affair ?

Tesco's don't even sell the PSP though so i guess there's no reason to believe they will sell the 360.

how big is your local Tesco, is it a huge hyper-market sells everything type of affair ?

Tesco's don't even sell the PSP though so i guess there's no reason to believe they will sell the 360.

Yeah it's not an Extra store but they do sell most of the other consoles. I'll have to see if there is an Extra store anywhere near my area.

Surprised that WH Smiths won't be stocking it either.

Admittedly, the guy I spoke to there wasn't a manager, but I don't understand why he'd tell me that they were getting 14 units in for day one when my order is nowhere near close to that figure. If he wanted to bullshit me so that I would keep my pre-order there, surely he'd claim that they're getting plenty in?

There's a third option - he's telling you what head office / regional manager has told him, and this may be the bullshit.

The main reason I took his direct answer as truth (and that some stores seemed to now know how many units they would be getting) is that I had been in my local indie  five minutes before, where I spoke to the manager. He produced some kind of file with X360 branding, which looked very much like an official pre-order folder. He told me I was three places off securing a machine for the initial batch, and that he couldn't guarantee me a machine before Christmas, or indeed soon after. Again, I don't see why he would lie to me in this instance.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I had previously popped in to the indie three or four times over the last few weeks to see if they had been told how many units they'd be getting. Each time they were straight up, telling me they were still waiting to hear.

I know what you mean, it just seems really odd as we (GAME) haven't heard anything about order allocation, we got some Xbox 360 branded file today, nothing about allocation other than we might get one extra 360 per 20 pre-orders. Great!

There's a third option - he's telling you what head office / regional manager has told him, and this may be the bullshit.

Well, quite. My point still stands though: how does it benefit them to give out a message that is basically telling customers to try anywhere but there? I would have thought if they were going to lie they would take a leaf out of Game's book and give the impression that most / all pre-orders are going to be filled, whether it's true or not.

Well, quite. My point still stands though: how does it benefit them to give out a message that is basically telling customers to try anywhere but there? I would have thought if they were going to lie they would take a leaf out of Game's book and give the impression that most / all pre-orders are going to be filled, whether it's true or not.

To look cool? Who knows.

Well, the fact that two different stores (of a different chain) both told me their allocation to the number within the space of five minutes lead me to believe that some places have been told what they're getting. Whether that's true or not (and I still have no reason to believe that it's not, other than the fact that I've worked in retail for a console launch before and we didn't know how many units we were getting basically until they arrived), it makes no real difference to me – I won't be getting a machine from either of them on day one, as I say.

and as it's only 18-20 asda stores that'll be stocking them.......

Toys R us?

My local Asda haven't a clue if they are getting any. As for Toys R Us, I think they stopped taking pre orders a while back. All I can do is drive around on launch day and try my luck. The most annoying thing is that I live about 15 minutes away from Gem the distributor, so I know that their warehouse is full of them.

I just cancled my pre order.

I don't really play the consoles I have. In fact, the only game I play is WoW and what with the iminent arrival of Pope Jnr I can't see myself playing that either!

It's a lovely moment of realisation isn't it. It's so easy to get swept up; I'll judge reaction on here and get one in the new year as a present if my apraisal goes well.