Nintendo Wi-fi Connection

Jack

52550520_ad44fd4d69_m.jpg52550519_024385b80d_m.jpg52550518_8cbaef7112_m.jpg

More piccies at Flickr. Looks idiot proof enough - I bet there'll be loads of people buying the USB connector so they can do the one touch option, even if they already have kit at home they can use. I'm worried about it not working with my Uni's wireless though - that requires signing in through the browser.

Where do you get the 30 quid price from?

Err, I really have no idea. I may quite well have imagined it. :D

Either way Play have had this price up for some time now. If the official price does turn out to be greater, Play generally honour their pre-order prices. If it turns out to be lower, then everybody's happy.

well for people like we who already have the means to do this, i think £30 is waaaaaay too much :D

To be honest, I think £30 is the right price for most people. If you have to means to do this already, I don't think this product is aimed at you. Even £5 would be a lot to pay for the "convenience" of not having to enter the details of your existing setup.

That £30 price will probably be a lot of profit, since similar adapters can be got for like £15. I'm guessing that the people who buy these adapters might be subsidising the cost of providing free online play for all. Circle of life, etc.

That £30 price will probably be a lot of profit, since similar adapters can be got for like £15. I'm guessing that the people who buy these adapters might be subsidising the cost of providing free online play for all. Circle of life, etc.

indeed. IMO Nintendo shouldn't be looking to make a profit out of these, they should sell them as cheap as possible if they want people to buy them and embrace their network structure and online games :D

I'd have got one for £15 just to have with me so that i could plug it into friends computers etc...ah well.

52550520_ad44fd4d69_m.jpg52550519_024385b80d_m.jpg52550518_8cbaef7112_m.jpg

More piccies at Flickr. Looks idiot proof enough - I bet there'll be loads of people buying the USB connector so they can do the one touch option, even if they already have kit at home they can use. I'm worried about it not working with my Uni's wireless though - that requires signing in through the browser.

.::: Hmm, seeing this makes me think it can be 'skinned'. Mario Kart DS had the same structure screens, but different colours. By gosh, seems Xbox Live's dashboard and other assorted stuff actually accomplished something. :D

Well yeah.  Remind me how much 8Mb PS2 memory cards go for again?

Yeah, but it's not like that - it's not like other wi-fi dongles give off an "inferior" signal. It's not using a proprietary signal, either - that's just for short-range connections. The DS will work with any wi-fi dongle or wireless router.

I have a wireless router and a wifi usb dongle in my pc. So I won't need one of these?

I suppose that the wi-fi network will work quite the same as downloading demos on the DS, which can be done with a modified-by-software wifi card/access point. Fingers crossed on that.

What exactly is this thing? Is it a connection from the DS to a PC USB? So I'd have to have the DS plugged into the PC in order to connect to the net?

Or have I grasped the wrong end of the stick?

You plug the dongle into your PC (which is connected to the NET). That's it. The Dongle is a wireless access point for your DS.

Finally some more information on the online set-up, seems like all you need to do is tap a few screens and your done. Does anyone know if you have to create a gamertag like XBL, which is used across all games, or can you create a different name for every game, I remember a Nintendo quiz on NoA asking if people would prefer to choose their own gamertags or if they would want pre-selected tags or a combination of letters and numbers or something like that. I hope most people chose the 'create your own' option.

I've pre-ordered Mario Kart and then Nintendongle from Play.Com a couple of days ago for the price of £39.98, not too bad considering how the Nintendongle is suppose to cost just £9 less.

As long as we can get at the MAC address of the DS and I can enter a WEP key on the DS I'll be happy. Otherwise it'll be stupid.

.::: The DS displays its MAC address on-screen during those setup screens and if needed you can enter a WEP. Didn't see a WPA option though (might be a problem for some, but tbh it would be weird if they leave it out).

It's a simplified version of the PSP setup: scan for networks, choose one, optionally: enter WEP, be happy. I guess the dongle even simplifies this more by not requiring a password and only allowing DS connections?