IGNORED

Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

If you think that's stretching it, you'd probably shit your pants if I told you it was my favourite game of all time.

It just is.

Good for you young man!

For sure it's a great game... I often wonder if the village wasn't quite as good as it was, the rest of the game would seem better and my overall opinion would be higher.. ;)

I'd say it is "one of the games of the generation".

To say it's the game of the generation is stretching things a bit for me...  Just like all the other really good games this gen, it's still got its fair share of crap bits.

I can't think of a single crap bit personally. It was non-stop action throughout its 20-hour duration.

It is my Favourite Game of All Time.

Controversial opinion ahead.

If you've got a big TV the PS2 version looks better because of the proper widescreen mode. You can easily spot the lack of detail present in the characters and enviroments but it just looks sharper because you don't need to zoom your TV.

People should be complaining about the sound. It's so weak compared to the cube version and sounds so tinny.

Good for you young man!

For sure it's a great game...  I often wonder if the village wasn't quite as good as it was, the rest of the game would seem better and my overall opinion would be higher.. ;)

The house siege, El Gigante, the maze, the clock tower, Mendez, the regenerators, MIKE!

Man the game doesn't just rely on the village. Like Twinbee, I just can't think of a crap bit.

I was thinking about this debate over whether it is linear or not, and well - it is, and it isn't.

For example, you come to a path leading up a slope. There are bushes/cliffs on each side, so you can only walk forward. So sure, that's a linear progression, although of course you could also go back. But then there is a fork in the path. If you go left, you can look out over a lake, and see a cutscene of some Ganados dumping the body of the policeman in the lake. You don't have to go up there. Then, if you take the right fork, you reach the lakeside, and find a boat. So you can get in the boat. But you could fire at the fish, and well, you all know what happens if you do that right? Unless you didn't shoot the water of course, in which case you might not know, bwa ha ha ha!

Moving on, you have a big old ruck with El Lago. After that, you could just carry on, but if you get back in the boat and explore the lake, you could find a secret Merchant's shop, with some treasure hidden there to boot. And perhaps you might take the boat back to the other shore, in which case you'll meet some rather unfriendly canines a lot earlier than you might otherwise have done.

So whilst the game and its plot does go relentlessly forward at quite a pace, I don't think it's a particularly linear game in terms of what you actually do, and to single it out as such is doing it a bit of a disservice.

Above all the structure and pacing of the game just, well, works.

Yup, that's why Resi 4 is my favouritest game evaaar, its one of the only games I've ever played which DIDNT have a bit that made me go: 'They shouldnt have done this in this way..'.

:blink: may the RE4 love go on forever! :blink:

Well, it's currently sat on my desk. I can see it out of the corner of my eye, taunting me.

I just hope you fuckers haven't bigged it up too much.

Especially you, Davros. You bastard.

Hey man, it's just my opinion. And almost everyone else's. :blink:

If you want to get really excited, do a search for the original NTSC thread, when everyone was playing it for the first time. That'll get your juices flowing.

RE4 is shit!

Also the PS2 doesn't seem to suffer from the colour problem that was talked about a long time ago. I'm guessing this is because there's a distinct lack of colours compared to the cube version anyway so you wouldn't notice the change.

Also the t-shirt is great. I loved the RPD one you got with Outbreak 2 but this one is better. I hope Game do a t-shirt with every RE game to come out.

To someone playing for the first time I ceetainly suggest that you may have to stick with it as for me it wasnt an instant love affair.

I found the controls really fiddly, and just didnt really get it.

But then I persevered, and then as you begin to understand the full weapon/ammo management system, and the controls become intuitive it unfolds into an amazing experience.

The other thing is that it does actually just keep getting better and better. As I mentioned before, most game designers will chuck all the good stuff at the start as thats what most people will see. Then pad the game out with the shit towards the end.

But Resi really is a game that rewards the completist, and that second disc for me was totally amazing!

RE4 is shit!

Also the PS2 doesn't seem to suffer from the colour problem that was talked about a long time ago. I'm guessing this is because there's a distinct lack of colours compared to the cube version anyway so you wouldn't notice the change.

Also the t-shirt is great. I loved the RPD one you got with Outbreak 2 but this one is better. I hope Game do a t-shirt with every RE game to come out.

:blink:

With all this talk of the PS2 release I was inspired to pop this back into my Cube last night. I thought I would just have a quick blast for a few minutes but no, it gripped me again and I fell asleep on the sofa at around 4 am! Shame I had to be up at 6 am.

One of the very best games ever IMO. Enjoy it Wintermute but don't rush it. You can only do it the first time once!

So, for those who have completed it mutliple times, how does it compare the second, third time through? Is it as enjoyable, given that you know what to expect? Does playing it on a harder setting make up for it?

In fact, what are the difficulty levels after 'Normal'?

Actually the most annoying thing for me was Ada's mission (is that her name, I can't quite remember..).

Anyway, the boss on that level. By far the most difficult thing I'd encountered in the game. Gave up in frustration - it felt as though rather than use skill, I had to discover the secret tactic that would kill him.

So, for those who have completed it mutliple times, how does it compare the second, third time through? Is it as enjoyable, given that you know what to expect? Does playing it on a harder setting make up for it?

In fact, what are the difficulty levels after 'Normal'?

Amazingly good still. The PS2 play through will be my 6th I think and it's still just as fun. You lose the sense of the unknown but I've actually found something I hadn't on previous play throughs (two oven type things with cash and bullets in them).

It's the pacing that makes this game perfect, even this time round I can't bring myself to turn the console off because it just flows perfectly. It's like reading a good book and you find yourself at the end of the chapter with the hero just about to get sniped at.

In fact I want to play it again right now just typing about it. No other game ever has done that for me. People are moaning that they have to play through the game again to play the Ada stuff and I shake my head at them. It's not like you're playing Rise of the Robots, it's RE4 and it's still a pleasure to play, even on the PS2.

Is there an adaptor to let you use the Cube pad on the PS2 then?

I'm really aiming to get the PS2 version for the new stuff (and possibly that T-Shirt, I'm so sad), but cant imagine playing with the PS2 pad is going to do the game any justice whatsoever.

I'm really aiming to get the PS2 version for the new stuff (and possibly that T-Shirt, I'm so sad), but cant imagine playing with the PS2 pad is going to do the game any justice whatsoever.

Get some proper hands! :blink:

You'd be right. Playing with the PS2 pad is wrong and it's much harder to aim. I had difficulty shooting the blue medals and they're stationary!

Surely Wintermute is still sleeping after not going to bed till 7am and calling in sick.

Yes, but surely he'd have woken up by now after some nightmare about Black & Decker power tools?

Being woken up by your neighbour's hedge trimmer is a very scary experience too, I might add.

Gah. I'm trying to find out when my reading week is so that I can go home and play this again.