Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A wedding at Syon House - an old royal abode outside London - and wandering the halls all I could do was comment on how similar it was to Resident Evil 4.

Obviously I then started playing it again as soon as I recovered from my hangover.

It's ever so slightly rougher looking than I remember, but by golly is it still a beauty of a game and I am hideously hooked all over again. The atmosphere is just utterly captivating. The one liners still raise a smile. The gun play still feels so right. With the benefit of hindsight, was there anything better, is there anything better? I don't think there is. This is still the best game.

I think it's probably the defining game of the previous generation. It should have been the template for all of this generation's games, and I think the high points, certainly, have been the titles willing to borrow from it openly.

I'm in the middle of playing it through again on the 360 and it really is the best game ever. Nothing comes close to it and there is absolutely no let up.

I really believe that the way it plays, the difficult controls if you will, are some of the reasons that it is so great. Not being able to move and fire or strife or just having so little maneuverability really makes the game work. If you had greater control then it would be too easy, as it is every encounter could be a fatal one.

I could love that I always forget so many bits that crop up. Yes, you remember the main bits but there are so many wonderful bits in between that make the game great.

Looking forward to finishing it and then going back as a tooled up MF to take on those villagers. And, of course, unlocking Mercenaries.

This is the best thread because RE4 is the best game.

Again, I just want to repeat that I've finished RE4 almost a dozen times now. In comparison, I haven't finished RE5 even once.

I tried again last month and gave up at the speedboat / racism section. It's total shit.

• 2 months later...

I'm having this same problem, but i'm not playing on pro.

I'll admit i'm not very good, But I need some tips. I can't kill krauser fast enough, I've never been killed by his claw-arm-thingy. But the bombs always go off.

TL:DR this Gorilla has WAAAAY too much health. tips?

Is the HD version any use then ? I played it to death on the GC, PS3 and later the Wii but was under the impression the HD conversions were a bit shit. Playing through Resident Evil 2 recently and I'd love an excuse to blast through this again before the end of year onslaught of new releases.

The HD version is fine. It looks quite nice.

There is an odd frame rate stuttering when your essentially walking from a level "arena" into the next one. There is often a corridor leading to the next room and it's here where the frame rate can stutter and die, not so much because there is too much shit going on in the frame.

I guess the original game is using some kinda Streaming tech, loading in the next area before the player has reached the door and they couldn't be bother engineering it correctly for the PS360.

For me, the GC version will always be king as it uses the controller that the game was entirely designed around.

The Wii version is far too easy with the point aiming and the target reticle is retardly huge, obscuring the gore n gibs when shooting dudes in the face.

...also, the Wii version uses the GC/Wii hardware de-interlacer that you can not turn off (It's also used by the Smash Bros. games and is defeatable in the main menus) which results in a Vaseline-smear look which is shitty.

Do I need to post this again.

You can use the Gamecube controller on the Wii version. Wait for the game to load then unplug the nunchuck and voila! Full screen, gamecube controller controlled game with all the extras from the PS2 version as well.

Yeah, but then you've still got The Worst Output Quality Ever to contend with.

...and yes! This!

It's not just the fact that the Wii video output is slightly worse than the GC, the hardware de-interlacer is totally fucking up the image!

If there was a homebrew mod to disable it forever I would be totally all over it.

btw, It's really great that the Wii version supports all controller methods. The pointer aim is totally fun as hell even though it kinda "breaks" the game in a lot of ways. I always see it as a fun alternative to the "proper" version with a controller and that wobbly red dot!

Oh, tish and fipsy! The Xbox through RGB was the worst ever.

The Wii through component looks fine.

It really bloody doesn't. I tried sitting through Metroid Prime, and all I could think was, "I'm sure this shouldn't look so fucking dull."

Then the terrible controls made me switch it off.