Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

It's still better than resident evil 5, gears of war 1-3, assassins creed 1-8, bejewelled blitz and streets of rage 2.

And all of the Dead Spaces and Batmans.

Does RE4 work with the Dolphin emu? If the image quality is that big an issue just use that surely. Personally I think the VHS look suits it.

Has anyone compiled an absurdly detailed list breaking down any and all of the minute differences between the HD version and the gamecube original?

[stuff]

Also there's the small matter of those two buttons being switched around. Apparently I'm the only person on the planet who can't get over this but I suppose that if you've played the GC/PS2 versions a lot (too much?) then you might find the HD remakes equally impossible to enjoy due to spending the entire time fighting muscle-memory.

And yes, RE4 is still the best.

I played thro the entire HD remake and it makes the Gamecube version totally reduntant, ditto Wii version. All the features, proper video out, lovely HD visuals. You dont even have to fish out a disc.

I played thro the entire HD remake and it makes the Gamecube version totally reduntant, ditto Wii version. All the features, proper video out, lovely HD visuals. You dont even have to fish out a disc.

Agreed. Although some of the textures don't look too hot when laid bare in HD form, it's worth it for a version of the game that doesn't look like a visual depiction of AIDs on an HDTV. The only thing it's missing is Wii controls which I enjoyed enough but which unbalanced the game so I'm happy to call the 360 version the definitive version.

Got given a 1024 x 768 Sony projector from work. Gonna hook all my retro up through that and Resi 4, on the gamecube, rgb->projector is my first port of call. It's gonna be epic.

Wii version too easy as some have said. Wii controls on Metroid though are utterly sublime. IMO that's the best control scheme ever for a first person shooter, including mouse and keyboard.

ive played all the console versions.

they are fine on all of them really, i didnt replay the whole PS2 one as i did find it graphically inferior. But the GC, Wii and 360 versions played all well. The wii one is a bit easier, but offers a difference to the normal pad versions.

So is it really REALLY worth 1800 or so points?

Depends on your finances really, but thats what..12 quid..for an HD version of the best game last gen..on your hdd..all the extras. You're not gona be sitting round in 6 months thinking oh I wish i had that 12 pounds.

• 1 month later...

I was thinking about why I miss the GC so much, and why I've never really taken to the 360 for example as much, despite playing it just as much as the GC, if not more.

I reckon it's partly that as a SEGA fanboy growing up I miss owning an 'underdog' console, all three current gen ones you'd be hard pushed to say they weren't a success and to me they all feel slightly souless for it. Compared to the DC or GC, it was like a lucky little videogames company with funny little mascots fighting the big guys and getting pulverised but stil standing enough to bring out a cool wee console that the neds didn't know about. And stuff.

• 1 year later...

Looked this thread up because I'm playing through the HD port atm, but now I'm feeling all fetishistic for my Gamecube. Tempted to get it out (using the handle of course) and stroke it, caressing those smooth buttons and repeatedly opening and closing the lid to hear that satisfying click. Oh god and then there's the sound of snapping a disc into place, and releasing it with the little button... and yeah afterwards I might play some games too.

I've been feeling the hankering for this again recently, is the HD version much nicer looking than the GC version running at 480p? It would need to be to justify playing it on anything but the fucking beautiful, perfect GameCube controller.