Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

I did this so long ago I'm not sure what I have installed in total, but it looks amazing. I connected the PC to a big screen TV and played all the way through. There's an "Ultimate Community Patch" out there, which is from after I patched mine, but I'm struggling to find a link that works.

Never played the recent HD remakes on 360/PS3, so not sure how they compare but I've read that the official upscaled the original, and the fan patches involved people redrawing the graphics to be better and proper HD.

**EDIT - cannot find this - anyone got it?**

I did this so long ago I'm not sure what I have installed in total, but it looks amazing. I connected the PC to a big screen TV and played all the way through. There's an "Ultimate Community Patch" out there, which is from after I patched mine, but I'm struggling to find a link that works.

Never played the recent HD remakes on 360/PS3, so not sure how they compare but I've read that the official upscaled the original, and the fan patches involved people redrawing the graphics to be better and proper HD.

**EDIT - cannot find this - anyone got it?**

I think this maybe what I have - will take a look for you tonight.

Never played the recent HD remakes on 360/PS3,

Unfortunately they aren't HD remakes, just straight ports of the old games. While these looked great on a CRT TV on a jumbo HD set they look horrid. Downloaded Resi 2 a few weeks ago and it looks so bad it's practically unplayable. Still looks pretty good on the old TV in the garage though. Resi 4 isn't unplayable but it looks worse than the original because of being upscaled into a modern TV.

I'm not a huge fan if HD remakes, but when the alternative's graphics resembling psychedelic mince I'm all for it. The original fully b/c PS3 did a really good job of making PS2 and PSone games look pretty good by adding a bit of aliasing. Doesn't look like even that's been done with the Resi downloads.

I'm confused, I thought that RE4HD was actually HD and not upscaled.

In other words it's like the MGS HD releases.

Resi 4 HD's visuals are the GameCube version's: textures designed to be viewed at a maximum of 480p. Nothing has been done to the game's assets bar the upscaling

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-19-resident-evil-4-hd-review

...but you really can see the difference on the PC screen, because the original game is a straight port from the PS2 version, but the texture pack is redrawn. You can also see a massive difference when a cut scene plays because the game jolts you out of the HD visuals into poor quality FMV. Someone ripped the cinematics from the Wii version and there's a patch for that too.

I don't have enough negs for you. RE4 gets bosses, so, so right. They're the best bosses in any game!

I hate boss fights. I just felt they weren't needed. That bit with the rope bridges after you meet "Stranger! What are you buying?" is brilliant. The mine cart section - brilliant. The statue with the monks - brilliant. The flying bug things - brilliant. House seige - brilliant. Bella Sisters bit - brilliant. When you first go on the island - brilliant. The helicopter part - brilliant. The swamp bit - brilliant. Boss fights... meh! I've always hated them.

Why was Resi 6 so shit?

I hate boss fights. I just felt they weren't needed. That bit with the rope bridges after you meet "Stranger! What are you buying?" is brilliant. The mine cart section - brilliant. The statue with the monks - brilliant. The flying bug things - brilliant. House seige - brilliant. Bella Sisters bit - brilliant. When you first go on the island - brilliant. The helicopter part - brilliant. The swamp bit - brilliant. Boss fights... meh! I've always hated them.

Why was Resi 6 so shit?

Stop getting sieges wrong.

He's almost a boss fight - you just knife him anyway.

I love it by the way. I've bought it three times - I even bought a Gamecube to play it on - the Resi 4 cube. I enjoyed 5 but the dlc is better than the main game but 6, I've just played the Leon campaign - the rest is rubbish (yes Spainkiller, it was rubbish). Even parts of the Leon campaign were rubbish.

fuck all of you resident evil 6 is as misunderstood as vincent van gogh was

It's really bad though. It's on two discs. Capcom basically couldn't fit something that bad on just one disc. It's the Assassins Creed III of the Resident Evil series. They even ruined Mercs on 6.

That's no different to the MGS HD trilogy though, they didn't redo the textures for that either. They did do the menu's though.

Yes they did. I wrote a detailed piece about it in gamestm. They remade all the original textures so that the looked the same but at the correct screen fill size for ps3. Most developers use a technical trick to take the original 480p resolution texture and simply stretch it to fill the bigger space, it's why most of them look dull and washed out. Bluepoint got around 50 staff to redraw the original textures at e new resolution.

It's important to remember that bluepoints stuff are remasters. They are not adding all new textures, but painfully trying to recreate the look of the original as authentically as possible, in that way i liken them to what criterion achieve with their bluray remasters.