Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

Yes they did. I wrote a detailed piece about it in gamestm. They remade all the original textures so that the looked the same but at the correct screen fill size for ps3. Most developers use a technical trick to take the original 480p resolution texture and simply stretch it to fill the bigger space, it's why most of them look dull and washed out. Bluepoint got around 50 staff to redraw the original textures at e new resolution.

It's important to remember that bluepoints stuff are remasters. They are not adding all new textures, but painfully trying to recreate the look of the original as authentically as possible, in that way i liken them to what criterion achieve with their bluray remasters.

Jesus, I stand corrected then! That said, despite all that effort the overall effect has been to make the HD version look the same as the rose-tinted nostalgic version lodged in everyones head. Remakes can be such a thankless task, they either sully everyone's memories of the original or no-one notices the effort you've made.

Funnily enough that's what they were going for. They wanted the game to look like you remembered it, but to be fully hd (as in proper resolutions etc). I don't think they get enough credit for what they actually achieved. I did ask them if they would continue, but they stressed they wanted to start making their own games. While it's probably satisfying to lovingly restore something, it's no doubt not the same as creating your own game. Oh and they've just done the vita and ps4 versions of flower.

Look, all joking aside, you can slate RE6 all you want, but its Mercs was fucking FANTASTIC.

RE6's strongest point was its combat, especially it's close combat. Mercs was a BLAST.

This man is correct. The actual story and level design/boss design in RE6 might have been fairly uninspired/shit, but Mercs, oh man. Mercs in RE6 is where its combat and focus on melee actually makes sense. And it works fucking brilliantly. Mercs is one of the most fun things ive played this year, and honestly the last time i enjoyed a mercs mode was RE3. Havent enjoyed it at all since then but RE6 mercs sucked me in bigtime.

GameCube disc are the best discs ever .

They were very nice. Although I have to admit, I do love the rounded edges of the Wii U discs. Disc insertion feels sexier.

Saying that, the spongy/click lid of the GCN never got boring. I remember my friend opening and closing the lid for about five minutes straight when we first got our hands on one.

I've mentioned it before, but if you can pick up the PC version cheap, there's a massive unofficial patch for it "out there" and it looks amazing.

Say WHAT?! You can play a modded version on a PC?

Shit well I'm dropping everything to sort that out. Got any pics?

Quick Google has been a problem for me - The 1.6Gb texture pack is on some of the torrent sites, including UKBay, but the Ultimate Community pack looks like it's better still, and only has one seeder. It would take a week to download, so it says.

Anyone here got it?

Never played the recent HD remakes on 360/PS3, so not sure how they compare but I've read that the official upscaled the original, and the fan patches involved people redrawing the graphics to be better and proper HD.

Hmm, this usually means some kid has run everything through a load of Photoshop filters. Would love to see pics though.

I played through the PC version between the GC and Wii versions, the upped res just serves to highlight a massive amount of smoke and mirrors ('rooms' as forced perspective flat textures, 2D background elements, swapped out low-poly models) that were hidden by the resolution and grain filter on the GC. It's probably the game most perfectly moulded to its original format that there's been since the N64 days.

I'd love to see Capcom do a full 10th anniversary remake, but I expect it would be too expensive to do it properly.

Well I've been slowly leeching a torrent of an alleged community patch over the last few days. There's only one seed but I've done about half of it so far. Will try post up the tracker later if anyone's interested :)