Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

• 4 weeks later...

Resident Evil 4 turns 10 years old this Sunday (11th January).

What better excuse is there to resurrect the Mega Thread from rllmuk's Golden age and reminisce over the Greatest Videogame ever.

Also makes a great excuse for an Anniversary replay.

..maybe go for a "no holding B to run" playthrough.

I just mentioned in the other thread that a couple of modders are redeveloping textures for the Steam Ultimate HD version on PC? The differences are amazing. Apparently they have finished the village section so it's available for download.

http://www.re4hd.com

Looks great BUT how long till the entire game is done? I think it's best i wait a couple of years till it's been completed (if it actually is finished that is).

Yeah I played through the 360 version and had great fun. Graphics are better but not as much as they should be.

Took a while to get to grips with the controls.

One say I'll buy on steam and have another play through.

The only graphical improvement is in resolution (and proper widescreen, obv). It actually runs worse than the original, in tiny bits, and lacks some effects.

Those comparisons between the capcom UHD and the modders UHD remaster is verging on scandalous. How the fuck can Capcom treat their best ever game with such disdain. All that needs to happen now is they shut down the modders and I feel a bocoytt comming on.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Capcom doing a rerelease/port of RE4 on Steam, even if it's not a fully-fledged remaster. The old port wasn't exactly well-regarded and hasn't been widely available in years.

Ok Capcom is slapping the textures together through Photoshop filters and banging it all together, these guys are *painstakingly* researching the original artwork and looking at the original inspirations... I'd be very surprised if they can do that consistently throughout the whole game. I hope they pull it off but a part of me thinks it'll either be partially completed or never released.

I tried out the texture pack yesterday. They're really well done - it's quite a subtle change as everything looks as you'd expect until you switch back to the originals (a blurry mess by comparison).

I had planned on just booting up to see what it looked like before waiting for the rest of the pack to be finished for another play through. I ended up running through to EL Gigante in one sitting. Best game.

Ok Capcom is slapping the textures together through Photoshop filters and banging it all together, these guys are *painstakingly* researching the original artwork and looking at the original inspirations... I'd be very surprised if they can do that consistently throughout the whole game. I hope they pull it off but a part of me thinks it'll either be partially completed or never released.

Yep, there's a lot of effort going into it.

post-52-0-93695800-1420997505_thumb.png

post-52-0-34264300-1420997491_thumb.png

post-52-0-49157100-1420997482_thumb.png

Also a little bit on their process and how they name stuff when comparing versions:

You’ve seen some shots of this area before – this post focuses on some of the textures I’ve worked on for the church area. Some color adjustment might take place, so as always consider it a work in progress.

Also, the wooden item box has been revised once again based on the original source texture (before it was simply a recreation).

Oh, and when the images say “HD Restoration” it means that the original source texture or real life location was used to “restore” the texture. When it says “Recreation” it means the texture has been recreated from scratch.

RE2 would have to be a full-on REmake-style remake, rather than a REmake HD-style remaster. PS2/Gamecube stuff usually scrubs up really well at higher resolutions without having to do much to it (anyone who has used PCSX2 or Dolphin can confirm this). Not the case for PS1-era.

Capcom don't have the money, confidence or talent to do that kind of remake anymore.

RE4 project is fascinating - it reminds me of some film restoration projects. It's interesting that games don't generally have the same care put into archival and restoration as films do, and 'remake' and 'remastering' means something a bit different. Where is video gaming's equivalent of that recent 4k restoration of Lawrence of Arabia (which is fucking stunning on Blu Ray)?

I'll ask in the film forum to confirm this supposition, Deerokus, but I'm pretty confident even a complex 4K remaster (with a poor print, tons of colour grading to do, repairs to make etc.) would pale in terms of cost next to remaking something like RE2,to the tune of many, many millions of dollars.

So it doesn't happen because it's financially risky and incredibly expensive. I'm pretty sure Square came to this conclusion even with the mighty FFVII.

I'll ask in the film forum to confirm this supposition, Deerokus, but I'm pretty confident even a complex 4K remaster (with a poor print, tons of colour grading to do, repairs to make etc.) would pale in terms of cost next to remaking something like RE2,to the tune of many, many millions of dollars.

So it doesn't happen because it's financially risky and incredibly expensive. I'm pretty sure Square came to this conclusion even with the mighty FFVII.

Oh I know, as I say, RE2 remake is beyond Capcom at this point, even new games from quite popular series like Dead Rising and Street Fighter only got sequels because platform holders put up the development money. Capcom seems to be broke and is certainly afraid to do anything other than Monster Hunter and RE sequels, upscales and spin offs only, these days, sadly.

And sadly for Capcom I don't think any platform holders will pay them to do a RE2 remake as unlike the original RE remake next to none of the RE2 team are at Capcom anymore and I doubt the likes of Hideki Kamiya would return to Capcom just so he can direct RE2 again.