Resident Evil 4

Tom C.

Even if Capcom weren't broke, they probably would be after doing a full Resi4 or Resi2 remake of the kind people want. There just isn't a huge market for cumbersome '90s survival horror games or full-price remakes.

No, I'm not optimistic about the HD remaster's chances.

It's fair to say that Capcom could have done themselves a favour and just made Resident Evil 2 with 4's engine instead of making the Chronicles games.

I really don't get this obsession people have with remaking the same game in a completely different engine. The amount of work and money involved pretty much amounts to making a completely new game, which pretty much everyone from the publisher to the art guy drawing brick textures would rather do. If you want to play Resident Evil 2 play Resident Evil 2.

At least Resi Remake had the decency to keep with the same pre-rendered background thing and the same controls and all the rest. You remake Resi 2 in Resi 4's engine you need to rework the entire thing from the ground up.

Edit- I'm arguing with angel, why am I doing this to myself.

I live in Middlesbrough ( no piss taking please) and im looking forward to Resident Evil 4 alot, i was just wondering whether it will be sold out everywhere come friday afternoon. I'm going to pop into town on the morning during a free period and get this bad boy but just incase i cant be arsed getting out of bed will there still be enough copies come friday afternoon? Just me being paranoid thanks guys.

Holy shit, is this how threads were started back in '05?

I really don't get this obsession people have with remaking the same game in a completely different engine. The amount of work and money involved pretty much amounts to making a completely new game, which pretty much everyone from the publisher to the art guy drawing brick textures would rather do. If you want to play Resident Evil 2 play Resident Evil 2.

The point I'm making is that in the two chronicles games they completely rebuilt the resident evil 2 environments from ground up in full 3D. All that work and they restricted it to some on rails shooters that probably didn't even make Capcom that much money.

At least Resi Remake had the decency to keep with the same pre-rendered background thing and the same controls and all the rest. You remake Resi 2 in Resi 4's engine you need to rework the entire thing from the ground up.

Edit- I'm arguing with angel, why am I doing this to myself.

Im not saying remake it in 3d, im saying remake re2, it will go down a storm if done well.

As for your cheeky "edit", dont try that passive aggressive crap please, im making a perfectly valid point.

The last few nights I've been watching a speed run of the game. I think it was done using the Gamecube emulator because it's in ultra HD, but has GC prompts.

Still looks an incredible game, and the speed run is a thing of beauty, save for the bits that the guy skips via glitches.

I'm still amazed at how many great sections there were. Some games would be happy with something as tense as the opening village section or the minecart ride, but the game is stuffed with such sections.

The HD texture mod doesn't do anything for the geometry, and many of the textures have excessively stark lighting from the source photos. It's good that the people making these mods are doing it the right way instead of tracing over the original textures with every filter in Photoshop, but it's still a novelty.

RE4 was a game designed to work at letterboxed 480p with a grain filter. Even the original PC port based off the PS2 assets showed up the smoke and mirrors they were using everywhere (billboard sprites ahoy) just by upping the resolution.

Anything short of a full remake with modern lighting, models, animation and effects is like trying to clean up a VHS picture. One day.

• 10 months later...

Bit of a resurrection with posting in this thread. But I just had to post. I'm playing my first RE4 play through having bought it a while ago for the 360 and it is probably one of the most fun games I've played for so many reasons. I think it's discounted for Gold subscribers too right now.

I love the challenge (normal mode), the feeling of constant danger, story, graphics are very respectable for 2015 too. This game seems to have the lot. Gonna hit up hard mode when I finish it. I've never been excited before about a second play through before I've even completed a game. This game needs a sequel, I.e. RE4.5! Even the mini game is addictive.

It's the greatest game ever made. The trouble with making a true sequel rather than the uninspired pish Capcom have churned out since is that, of course Capcom lost all its talent, but also it was so influential upon almost every third person shooter since* that it would probably seem like a step back mechanically.

The fan-made true HD remaster/restoration is coming along nicely. http://www.re4hd.com/The version Capcom released cut a every corner possible.

*a lot of people seem to credit Gears of War for this, but Gears owes a big debt to RE4.

Bought the GameCube version back in the day but hardly played it....

Just bought the 360 version in the sale :) now what's all this hype about surely it can't possibly be that good....

1 - are you completely insane?

2 - it isn't that good, it's significantly better.

I can't remember if I've said this before but besides being an amazing game resident evil 4 has a pretty impressive legacy.

From what I understand it's existence directly bought on the creation of or influenced the design of at least 5 different games.

Devil May Cry started as RE4

P.N.03 was the game that tested the engine.

Killer 7 uses the same aming mechanics.

Haunting Ground (or was it Click Tower 3?) was made from the scrapped 2nd RE4.

God Hand uses the RE4 engine and is built around the same tank controls.

Then of course there are the large number of clone games or games it influenced. It is a timeless game. I might play it again soon.

I had the PS2 version back in the day, and also borrowed the Wii version for a while. I've just bought both the Wii U download and the 360 HD version. Because, you know, why the hell not? Best to keep my options covered.

why? theres only one version to play, the hd version, all the content, better visuals. until the pc retexture project is finished anyway, and even then you dont really need it.

I can't remember if I've said this before but besides being an amazing game resident evil 4 has a pretty impressive legacy.

From what I understand it's existence directly bought on the creation of or influenced the design of at least 5 different games.

Devil May Cry started as RE4

P.N.03 was the game that tested the engine.

Killer 7 uses the same aming mechanics.

Haunting Ground (or was it Click Tower 3?) was made from the scrapped 2nd RE4.

God Hand uses the RE4 engine and is built around the same tank controls.

Then of course there are the large number of clone games or games it influenced. It is a timeless game. I might play it again soon.

I thought you were going to say stuff like Gears Of War, which Cliffy B himself said was massively influenced by Resi 4.

why? theres only one version to play, the hd version, all the content, better visuals. until the pc retexture project is finished anyway, and even then you dont really need it.

I like the Wii controls. And I'm no PC gamer, so the 360 version is as HD as I'll be getting. The Wii version looks very muddy, but I'm sure the atmosphere will shine through. Gloomily.

Alright kids. That's it, I'm buying the 360 one.

Can't have the GC in the lounge just to play this so let's take the plunge.

Yes yes I know we've got a 5 week old and another 4 year old but I've got 10 days off over Chrimbo and I want Santa to hear that chainsaw start up.

IFGI. IOFGI.....