Button Bashing

Tailfly

I've never disagreed with you so much Andy. Whilst playing Fahrenheit my overiding feeling was "Fuck my fingers are going to fall off". I didn't even registeer what was going on onscreen. It's the lowest common denominator to make someone feel involved, like giving up all verbal debate and resorting to a dumb slow punch, and an embarrasment for a self-proclaimed "clever game".

Has anyone ever hated a game more than you detest Fahrenheit? :)

I think it's OK in short bursts and if the bash-rate you have to produce isn't stupid.

I think this is the key. And, for at least single player games, it should recognise when a player's having severe trouble doing the button bashing.

As people have said, it's a skill which you don't get much better at. I can bash a button so fast. If a challenge is above my level, there's a chance I'll never be able to do it.

Doing some rudimentary equalising after a player's failed a few times isn't a bad idea.

(Fuck knows how many times I played the Matrix-roof-top fight in Fahrenheit. My fingers just wouldn't respond any more, so I slept until morning and regained strength for a new try. When I finally did it.)

KG

I like the stick-waggle in RE4 you use to shake off an enemy, because it feels like the action on the screen; you are shaking somebody off your back. The tap-tap-tap bits followed by a shoulder button dodge are less fun, because you need to try, and try again until you do it, with no alternative. When you know exactly what you need to do, but the lactic acid building up in your forearms is preventing you from achieving the goal? That's just no fun if you ask me.

I don't mind it too much generally - like some have said, I found that it suited certain bits in Resi 4 (like Leon having to cut the rope after fighting the lake monster), but there's other times when I'm not so keen (like Burnout Revenge when you have to pump up the Crashbreaker, but that's as much to do with the fact that the button's R2 as much as anything else).

I loved Shy Guy Fly in Mario Party 2, made me feel like a proper champion when I both beat my friend AND set a whopping new record.

I also loved that minigame in Pokemon Stadium where you had to mash wither A or B depending on what colour the light was, and charge the meter up.

Those scorching blisters on my fingers afterwards? I like to think of them as signs of success. :)

I hated the button-bashing torture bit in MGS. I had to rope in a mate to exploit the two-pads cheatiness to pass it. PITA.

I had to buy a turbo pad for it. Oh, the shame. But the bit in MGS2 where you've gotta hammer the button to mearly progress is cruel beyond measure; at least you can clear MGS1 without resorting to pad-swapping mid-game.

And I actually liked the Fahrenheit QTEs-

the only redeaming feature of the Matrix fight tosh is you feel like your thumb movements are part of the almost-graceful combat on-screen.

Gitaroo Man, mind, was designed from the outset to be unplayable by anyone who isn't blood related to an octopus.