Ds Not Compatible With Original Gb/gbc Games

bcass

I've had my DS for months. I sold my white GBA to fund it. I've only just got round to trying to play Donkey Kong '94 on it. What do I find? The GameBoy cart won't fit in the slot. I try another GB game, hoping that I am mistaken, alas, I am not. I can't bring myself to believe that Nintendo have done this. Why oh why oh why make a GameBoy that isn't compatible with GB/GBC games? I never in my wildest dreams imagined that it wouldn't be backwards compatible with GB/GBC carts. I will never forgive Nintendo for this.

I suppose this means I am going to have to buy an SP to play all my old GB/GBC games? Or is that not compatible with them either?

Nintendo, you tossers.

Do you also complain to Apple because their iPod won't play your 8-tracks?

Crap analogy. How can you release a device called a 'GameBoy' that doesn't play GameBoy games?

Besides, I wouldn't be monkey enough to buy a crappy iPod.

This was made clear at the time I'm afraid.

Well obviously it wasn't made clear enough, because I never came accross the information, in all my hours wasted on the net.

There should be a big red sticker on the front of the box warning people. I might not have bought a DS had I realised Nintendo's grotesque error.

Also - while the Micro argument is fair enough, you might want to note that the DS isn't a Gameboy. Admittedly it plays GBA titles, but Nintendo did intentionally try to distance it from the Gameboy range, hence the name.

Also, while backwards compatibility is to be lauded when available, it's hardly unusual for machines not to have it. It's really to do with what sells, and while people might expect compatibility with recent/contemporary machines (PS2 - PS1/DS - GBA), it has to be said that backward compatibility with older machines doesn't seem to be such a big deal.

Not to mention the fact that the expense of buying a GBC is hardly that extravagent...

Edit: seems that nearly all of that argument was expunged by you lot as I typed it. Bah!

The lack of GB/GBC compatability was made quite clear ever since the DS was unveiled, and the same goes for the Micor. In both cases it's simply to do with space for the chipset and the cost as far as I'm aware. The Micro's USP is its size, and the DS isn't even a Game Boy.

Why not just pick up a cheap GBC they can be had for pennies these days

Well, I had a mint transparent purple one, that I also sold this year... Never was too keen of the purple, mind.

And you lot making excuses for Nintendo?? Come off it, it's betrayal of the highest order, even if you have come to accept it, I never will.

It is frustrating, but it was made abundantly clear, to the degree that there have been hoax 'fixes' for the problem.

i *personally* think that its worse that the thing is not compatible with GBA linkup cables - i was looking forward to some proper 4 swords .

it is a bit nutty that the micro isnt compatible with GB/GBC games i suppose, though i cant see that the name thing is much of an issue - have you ever considered playing playstation games on the playstation portable?

It's only obvious if you've been specifically told. They did seem to be setting a (quite lovely) trend of "all the way" backwards compatibility.

Exactly, it's a mamoth cop-out on Nintendo's part. Oh, how the mighty have fallen...