Gt4 Mobile

Hello Goaty ♥

Looks nice, and it's good to see the game I bought my PSP for is finally being released. Just a shame it wasn't sooner when I was still young enough to see a PSP without using bifocals, hear one without the aid of an ear trumpet, and hold it without the crippling pain of arthritis searing through my liver spotted hands.

Also, has anybody read the comments under the video the above link directs us to? I thought they were laughable until I realised the people making them can just go out and breed whenever they like without permission or a special licence or anything. :o

I don't want to sound ungrateful but that isn't stunning footage (as the URL makes out). It's the same soddiing track that was in the first game in 1998. What is this, Ridge Racer?

What an odd comment. If you don't like Trial Mountain there's 34 others for you to choose from I guess?

The way they showed the game in the E3 conference was strange though. The game looks incredible considering it's on the PSP (and at 60fps no less), but they still went with some random bullshit footage at four times the resolution of the PSP's screen. Then they went on to release those incredibly crap looking screenshots on the official website. Good thing someone recorded it on the show floor since Polyphony seem to completely botch their own PR.

That video doesn't sell me it at-all...

I don't mind using old tracks - but I DO mind a horrible arcadey-looking (oversteer at 40mph LOL) 'centre pivotting' crap-looking driving game tbh...

The game has moved on SO far from what GT Mobile could offer - look at the screenies of GT5/Forza 3, look at the online stuff, car tuning etc. other games offer - and tell me why I'd want another iteration of

"Choose race - Choose car - tune car to max - win - put car in garage - repeat"...???

Hang on a minute! Old tracks? Trial Mountain is a GT staple. It's like F1 drivers whinging that they have to race at Monaco & Silverstone, etc., this year because they already raced them last year.

Well it's not just that - the fact that the game engine & realism factor looks no different to at any other stage of its life (including pretty much its PS1 birth!).

Isn't that just because it's being played by a muppet?

you've never driven a rear-wheel drive car have you?

i was hoping i wouldn't have to explain for the millionth time that rear-wheel drive cars get properly loose on the throttle if you lift then accelerate mid turn to someone who is just giving it the "you're not doing it right" argument.

GT4 sort of does the lift off bit (still not progressive enough though) to a slight effect, but if you nail the throttle mid turn in a torque beast it just wheelspins. do that in a real FR car with even low-ish power and you'll be facing the other way sharpish.

GT4 has no lateral movement on the throttle or power oversteer at all. indeed the only cars that will donut on the spot in GT4 are front-wheel drive! massive spastic failure to get a fundamental handling issue like that correct destroys GT4 in the "sim" stakes. even with the DFP wheel, it's just not realistic.

to be fair, GT5 is a massive improvement, but GT4 is so fucking wrong, you're not that much further from realism playing Burnout.

for the record, i own an E30, i know how power oversteer feels in even a pretty low powered rear-wheel drive car.

I'm not using the 'not doing it right' argument, I'm using the 'game being played by a paraplegic' argument. He only brakes during corners and keeps heading straight into walls.

No doubt the handling won't be particularly accurate, but on current handhelds that just isn't going to happen. Forza 2 and GT5 both do silly amounts of simultaneous physics calculations on multi-core CPUs, that just can't be done (even scaled down) on a single-core PSP CPU.

i misunderstood there, sorry.

i haven't watched the video of the psp version, i was referring to the "handling" in the full fat ps2 version of GT4.

they should hopefully not directly port the handling from GT4 due to it being designed (allegedly) for analog input, specifically the DFP and obviously beyond the stupid little nub, the psp has no analog control.

with any luck they'll completely overhaul the physics to actually make it at least partially simulate proper oversteer.

i misunderstood there, sorry.

No probs.

Is there a decent preview of this yet? While I'm happy with the volume of cars and tracks, only 4 cars per race is a bit disappointing. Would be nice to know if that's definite or might be improved upon.

As for keeping interest, I think this having the novelty of being a handheld GT will help it. I'm worried about GT5.