Sly 3: Honour Among Thieves

Jarik

This has slipped out rather quietly, but after enjoying Sly 2 I didnt think they could go far wrong (though i thought that about Ultimate Spider-Man after Spider-Man 2 :lol: )

Thus far, (2nd Episode) it's just as i remember, sneaking around picking guards pockets, skimming from rooftop to pipe to lamppost, but even more variety has been added to the missions with Safe cracking, vehicles to drive, disguises & conversations, and even the chance to play as Carmalita in a 3rd person shooting mode.

The humour i remember from Sly 2 is very much intact, with the dialogue between the characters retaining it's frequent jokes, such as Sly not being able to get a guards offhand remark about Pasta sauce out of his head and distracting Bentley with it while he's in the middle of a Job.

The 3D glasses I only bothered with once, as maybe it's the fact i don't have 20/20 eyesight, but they just did'nt seem to work very well. Might be different for other people though.

The only thing that worries me slightly is it's come out for a very low price (£24.99 in shops) which planted doubts about it's longevity. No evidence about that so far with all the characters you supposedly get to recruit though.

No option for it, but I honestly had'nt noticed it's absence as it all looks good & moves at a fair rate.

Is it slower than the NTSC version? (which i've never seen) I quite like the more sedate gameplay, as IMO that fits better with the stealth aspect & makes pulling off the acrobatics easier.

Played a bit of this last night and it still retains all the charm and playability of the previous games. Likeable characters, a good control system, a decent script and a variety of locations to work through. I look forward to getting properly stuck into the game tonight.

I only started with this yesterday, so far it looks very similar to the previous games, although I found Venice slightly harder to navigate than the other areas in Sly 2, there seems to be less things to climb onto and jump from, maybe they're just less obvious, like the umbrellas for example.

My main gripe currently is that I can't seem to modify the camera on the binoculars or turrets. The mnual mentions that each aspect can be modified individually, but going to the menu there is only an inverse option on normal left/right up/down camera movement. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, my initial fears about longevity seem to have been unfounded, with my now being on Episode 5 after having a loads of different missions/gameplay styles thrown at me, all of which have been great fun.

One possible gripe I suppose could be leveled at it is that although varied, none of the missions have been that challenging, with me hardly ever dieing/failing the missions & plenty of restart checkpoints if I ever do. I find this refreshing though, as I makes me feel that maybe I really am good at all this sneaking stuff after all. <_<

One lovely touch though IMO is that you can replay the Majority of the Missions from the menu, with some of them marked out as "Master Thief" challenges. These take the form of a certain Mission or Mission Section that has to be completed under special circumstances, usually tight time pressure.

All in all, a really enjoyable game released for a Budget price, even if the 3D dose'nt seem to work at all (though as i said that could be just me).

I just found my love again for the Sly Raccoon series. It never takes itself too seriously as the mission I have just completed demonstrated.

Tasked with gaining access to a guarded coffee house in Venice to retreive some blueprints, Sly disguises himself as one of the guards and has to repeat the password (four button presses you have to repeat quickly after Bentley shows them to you) to the existing guard to get him to move off and give Bentley access. After succeeding in moving the guard from the first coffee shop Bentley says to Sly "I cannot believe that worked. You have the worst Italian accent I have ever heard!". :) It's only £18 from play and if you haven't bought this game already, buy it now.

The latter part of Mission 5 has turned into a full-blown Pirate adventure. :wub:

Sailing the seas, engaging in ship to ship combat with the cannons using a very novel control method of steering the ship with L/R while simultaneously running around the deck and firing the cannons manually. And then having the choice of either sinking them, or boarding them for fight & the chance of extra loot. You get a ranking displayed at the end of each fight, with you moving up from "Landlubber" to better titles the more ships you sink/capture. There's even the traditional cutlass fight in the rigging at the end. The Treasure Hunt was a great touch too, and I only wish there was more, as i really enjoy that kind of clue-deciphering as seen in FF9 & Wind Waker.

This one section of the game fulfills all the requirements of a Pirate game IMO, putting other supposedly "proper" Pirate games to shame, though I admit there's not that many.

Guest MawkRawk

This has to be my favorite of the Sly series. It does a good job of intergrating a lot of original game play but staying true to it's roots. Multiplayer is fantastic as well. AND they now have a contest out which may excite some of you. The grand prize is a trip to San Francisco to tour Alcatraz and have a shopping spree at the Sony Store. Ill have to sign up soon!

Guest MawkRawk
This has to be my favorite of the Sly series.  It does a good job of intergrating a lot of original game play but staying true to it's roots.  Multiplayer is fantastic as well.  AND they now have a contest out which may excite some of you.  The grand prize is a trip to San Francisco to tour Alcatraz and have a shopping spree at the Sony Store.  Ill have to sign up soon!

I forgot the link, haha, http://www.slymaskcontest.com

• 4 months later...

Picked this up yesterday and just completed the [pirate episode, so I assume I'm not long from the end, but I've enjoyed every bloody minute of it. There's just SO much variety that you rarely have any chance to get bored.

The only complaint I have is that the 3D sections just don't work properly, the glasses make it look horrible and it hurts my eyes, so I don't bother.

On a side note THEY SPELT HONOUR RIGHT ON THE BLOODY BOX! YOU SEE THAT EA!?

I bought this a while ago as well. Haven't got past episode 4 yet as I got stuck and haven't bothered playing it since.

It's my first game in the series and I've really enjoyed the stealth and platforming when playing as Sly. However, I don't like playing as other characters. It feels very restrictive when you can no longer grab onto pipes etc. like Sly can. I don't see the need for all those minigames and rubbish boss fights either.

I might pick up the first or second game in the series, though, if there's less filler and more stealth and platforming to them (?).