IGNORED

The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

I'm hardly saying there isn't workmanship in their games. Their world design and art have always been fantastic if a little disjointed from the theme sometimes. I guess you could say they innovated the theme park mmo by taking what came before and slapping in quests for everything.

If I were to be critical of Blizzard it's that they have pandered to the playerbase too much over the games history. This min/max nonsense where everyone claims to be good at the game because they've looked up a guide online detailing how to make their character the best it can be which results in this circular grinding wheel where content can only be made for this limit of the games stats and classes have to be altered if they somehow deviate from this norm. Reforging only added to this making the actual gear you had, the only reason some people have for playing it seems, even more pointless as you could just change the stats on your gear anyway. It's freedom to be bad of the worst kind where instead of a good situation where everyone is kinda bad and the perfect doesn't exist there are only 2 possibilities, where you either have the ideal or you don't. It was almost amusing if it wasn't so sad to see the absolute fear some people had when it was announced that there would be some random minor stats on gear in WoD.

That being said if I do admire Blizzard for something it's their willingness to admit something isn't working and scrap it entirely such as they did with Path of the Titans or the Look At How Narrow Our Playerbase Views The Game And How Pointless Development Time Would Be Spent On Abilities That Don't Contribute Directly To Dps System.

illusions thing?

I think enchanters will make them, maybe scribes not sure. Anyway they can be added to weapons to give different effects overriding other enchants. Most are just replicas of old enchants, mongoose, crusader that type of thing I guess but there's also 'Butterflies' for example and I'm sure more will make it into the game.

I didn't like reforging, and I do love the random aspect they're planning (although it hasn't been a element of WoW's gear progression nearly ever, not since Vanilla - so I can understand the concern when people say 'this isn't Diablo' when it comes to loot) but reforging in an example regardless. Is it being replaced by some other kind of depth? Nope. Does the game need it? Perhaps not on gear necessarily but as a character progression element? The game needs tons, imo.

I can remember players who were only playing for months on end to afford their flying mount. Not waiting for the right item to drop from boss x. Nothing else. It was compelling (and exciting) enough gameplay. Something to look forward to. Gear, unless it has special jiggery pokery on it, has been mundane for years (unless it changed in MoP). They claim to add extra special stuff for the last tier of the expansion and all it results in is extra dot damage from your trinket doing a special-ish visual.

We need more items like wrath alternative druid forms, sylvannas song box as a goal to get with DKP, The old hag bird trinket from terokkar to obtain the best dance in the game. We need monkey ball effects on our actual raid gear, not as a oddity you only get to use in Org.

These new orc faces don't look much like their old counterparts, do they? Things that differentiated the old faces, such as stubble or wrinkles or dark circles around the eyes haven't been copied across, and the new faces all look very similar to each other. So much for keeping the essence of your existing character intact.

newOrcMaleFaces.jpg

Someone sent me some gold as a "little experiment"

They've sent that to 10 people, and then asked them to keep or send back more.

Trying to see if they end up with no/less/more than they started with.

WTF :S

The Troll model update is up and it's by far the most faithful to the original models (something they've always said they want to maintain), but I can't help be disappointed with it. They're my favourite race and I wanted something a little more exciting than a straight HD update (considering some of the other races look vastly different/better). Shame :(

trolls01.jpg

trolls03.jpg

I thought the trailer was probably the worst one they've done in regards to getting me excited about an expansion, I just don't really care that much about the setting or the story (in fact I don't really understand the how, what, where, when or whys of Garrosh's motivations and they've spent so long making him a dick in the current expansion I'm not sure I'll care if once it has been explained!).

Still it was very pretty to look at. I enjoyed the back story about Kargath.

I thought that was pretty crap for what it was meant to be.

It's very pretty and tells and interesting story, but as a "hype intro" cinematic - doesn't excite compared with say WoTLK or Cata

Especially when comibined with "In 3 months"

I do not think they will even top WotLK when it comes to the intro cinematic. Cata one looked nice but I had zero interest in Deathwing. I can get behind the Warlords one, I like how it is very focussed.

Dno whether any of you were watching it on the stream, but you could literally hear the crowd groan when the release date was announced.

The Gamespot guy who was on stage didn't exactly have great stage presence either, the applause was almost embarrasing.

I liked the cinematic more than Cataclysm and MoP. As a 'story' cinematic it can't top Wrath, and I guess the game is at a point where focusing from a player and scenery prospective for it's majority (like Vanilla and TBC did) isn't really required anymore.

Also liked the swirly world effect for the logo, small detail as it is, and despite the fact the expansion doesn't actually take place in Azeroth for it's majority I'd imagine. Ho hum.

Edit: It really would be nice to have a montage cinematic again nonetheless, if only to see what that team could pull off with today's technology versus 2004.

Edit 2: BlizzCon is going to be pretty boring this year where WoW info is concerned, eh?

14 months of the same raid instance (or it will be by then) is a little bit silly really. Was at least hoping we'd get 6.0 sometime soon for some new content but it looks like I've got a couple of months more rest yet!

Edit - That being said, the zone/dungeon trailer they showed off looks brilliant. There's an instance

set on a moving train! Just like the awesome Unreal Tournament Assault maps :D