IGNORED

The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

Fel yeah.

Of course, there is the question of what to do while waiting for the portal to open. I have decided to amass a couple of non-set outfits and off-pieces that were missing from my ensemble because better options existed or which I originally passed on because they were clearly for priests or whatever. What I'm mainly aiming for are pieces matching the Mage T5 Tirisfal set, which is hands down my favourite outside of the glorious unholy trinity of the Corruptor/Deathbringer/Dark Coven sets. The red and gold just looks so regal and classy, man and as for that hood..! That said, the problem with transmogging is that a lot of the new sets still look cool too, even the green levelling gear with the Raiden hat - it's going to take something really goddamn ugly for me to want to transmog over it.

I have also started to level up Elle's professions in prep for Draenor. Tailoring was easy enough but good lord, jewelcrafting is obnoxious as shit. Only two guaranteed skill ups from 465 - 490, dropping down to one and a sea of greys and a fucking awful rare gem-heavy fist weapon to get you up to 500. You can buy a rare gem design with three days of daily JC tokens to help with it but given how easy tailoring and engineering were to level, it's just taking the fucking piss and I am seriously tempted to just scrap it altogether and make her an engineer too because hey, it is The Best Profession (Team Goblin Glider for life).

I have also started to level up Elle's professions in prep for Draenor. Tailoring was easy enough but good lord, jewelcrafting is obnoxious as shit. Only two guaranteed skill ups from 465 - 490, dropping down to one and a sea of greys and a fucking awful rare gem-heavy fist weapon to get you up to 500. You can buy a rare gem design with three days of daily JC tokens to help with it but given how easy tailoring and engineering were to level, it's just taking the fucking piss and I am seriously tempted to just scrap it altogether and make her an engineer too because hey, it is The Best Profession (Team Goblin Glider for life).

I wouldn't bother this close to the launch to be honest. You'll be able to level it up fairly quickly through garrisons anyway.

Well, nothing major WoW related in the opening ceremony, so unless there's a big surprise in the closing ceremony, cant see anything newsworthy for WoW coming this year. Which is fine, as unless there's something big happening during this expansion, I dont think they've ever actually announced an expansion before the one before has even released. So the only real thing we can take from this is that the trademark filed for "Eyes of Azshara" isnt going to be the next HS expansion after all, and could be the next WoW expansion (the MoP trademark was filed waaaaaaaaaaay before it was announced). We'll see though. Would have liked some kind of big WoW news though, but realistically, it wasnt going to happen this year.

Still, Overwatch looked surprisingly decent, and hopefully we'll get a look at the movie as well.

So let me get this straight: if I wanted to make myself a huge gem bag, I have to - instead of simply learning the pattern from a trainer/normal vendor ala the equivalent herbalism and enchanting bags, or engineering toolbox - go to Hyjal, grind out tokens that only become available after you've finished the zone's quests, requires over 300 of them, and you can only get 14 or so a day?

That seems...unnecessary. Of course, with the reagent bank and Royal Satchels and the like, it's easy enough to just forget about, just feels a bit off given what a pain in the arse jewelcrafting already is. Very tempted just to ditch it and make her an engineer too, though last night's CATASTROPHIC GOBLIN GLIDER* failure gives me pause.

* Being chased by a dozen angry Yetis in caffeine withdrawal, I decided to peace out and flying kick off Kun Lai Summit and glide away like a champ went splat several hundred feet later.

I was watching some vid about WoD and new crafting stuff isn't going to be quite so rep-grindy.

I have two questions, that are just things for discussion really:

1) Cowfields dropped Leatherworking and became a Herbalist. In retrospect, that was a hasty move, but that was when he had transferred and was alone on a server, and didn't have a skinner alt, so there we go. But now I have my mage and hunter on the same server, the hunter being a Herbalist and Skinner, I think I want another crafting skill for my main. He's also an enchanter. Belfields is an inscriber and tailor. So what should Cow's second prof be in youse guys opinion?

2) If I get a level 90 character boost with WoD (we all do if we preorder, right? I haven't done that yet)...what should I get? I've got a Hunter / Mage / Druid.

Honestly I'm not sure I care at all, it seems wrong to miss out on levelling and learning a character. I can't quite decide what would give a nice alternative to the other three. Not a DK, because they're boosted to 55 anyway so that seems like a waste. I was thinking maybe Priest, because I don't think I'll be a healer on the druid ever again.

Difficult really. As a herbalist, I'd suggest giving Alchemy a go as it goes very nicely hand in hand with herbalism and they can pretty much be leveled up together. It amounts to personal preference really and what your goals are. If you aim to be making money, Alchemy is always a nice way to go because pretty much everyone always goes to the AH to buy raiding flasks/pots. Of course, it's also useful in that respect to save yourself money so you can simply make your own rather than buy them.

Certainly any of the other professions are viable for whatever your preference is but Herb goes hand in hand best with Inscription and Alchemy.

As for your second question, that really does come down to personal preference so I can't really help you here. If it were me, I'd use it for a class which is slower than most to level whether that be abilities wise or the fact I feel slow levelling that class. Don't forget as well if you level a character to 60 and then use the boost that char will have maxed out professions at 600 along with being level 90. Definitely worth a look at if you want to maximise professions as well.

Hope this helps!

Engineering is expensive to level and gimmicky at best, with the only real benefits being the mounts (this is coming from someone who has maxed engineering on three characters).

I have to agree. Had Engi on my main since I can remember but it's rarely had practical uses save for a phase where I constantly used rocket boots in raiding. With all the combat beneficial stuff having been removed in the pre-patch I'm strongly considering changes professions for the first time in a long time.

Yeah but you guys are jaded old buggers who've already done it before for years. If you never have, it's the bee's knees. Alchemy is for old farts pootling about with jam jars, who wants to do that when you can Green Goblin out of a wormhole hundreds of feet above the ground then shoot off fireworks to celebrate another safe landing then fly away on your rocket ship?

Over the last few days I've cancelled, reordered and recancelled multiple times (mostly today). With the MoP CE going for £20 new, and I spent 60, levelled to 87 before I quit and came back months later to do whatever else for a little bit and quit again...WoD's CE can wait.

It's literally a 'aw, but I have all the other boxes' habit at this point. I subbed late last month to see the 6.0 changes, even tried levelling a new class (priest healing is actually pretty fun of what I've played (24), my monk tank with its endless buttons (40) less so) but it all results in the same small annoyances that'll never get to be how they were again.

No one speaking in dungeons. No one will see you again so the warrior will rol on that Int staff.

No server community, especially so when levelling.

Mindless gamplay in the questing no matter the level (but sure, I'd done it all before multiple times, but a squish could have also meant better quest (more threatening) mobs, a re-introduction to group quests, even the low level scenarios they originally planned might have been cool group activity.

Fellow guildie couldn't wait to hit 15 just to grind out dungeons and what luck, the game has a dungeon button to crank you in and out of them with zero inconvenience. I could only shake my head in disappointment.

Not much of a world event, again. Thralls becoming a baldy...and doesn't realise he's not on Draenor yet.

Cheap worthless riding at 20. Yeah this isn't exactly major at this point.but man, when I poured over my mounts page when the priest hit 20 I had so many individual memories of specific mounts, I like they have descriptions now btw. It made me remember just how much of a sense of accomplishment this initial mount shit was, how rewarding it was once you got it.

It's so fun, so so fun to chat in. I'm sure I'd even get enjoyment from the raiding I was planning from a fresh role prospective, and I'm sure you lot are a blast to get to know better, and perhaps one day I will. Justifying the time to a game (5-10 hours a week?) that annoys me in so many little ways compared to its older counterparts that also asks for a monthly fee from me, (not just the box price) just seems a slow futile path in me slowly complaining about everything again, day in, day out. The enjoyment wouldn't outweigh the frustration.

I've said nothing new I havent a hundred times I guess, but I felt I had to get that off my chest.

I could get a mint complete in box copy of Gunstar Heroes for £10 more than the CE, ffs.

I'm playing again at the moment and having an absolutely fantastic time, I always chat nonsense to people though, especially as it's a RPPVP server - Ravenholdt, it's packed to the gills!

It actively helps my enjoyment that I haven't a clue what's going on, it just adds to the fun and discovery, then again I've always made my own fun really in game, I've never been able to pin down a regular playtime so PuGs and randoms is mostly how I've played.
LFR/G has made this game ten times better from my perspective. the instant on is a massive draw for me.

I bloody hooked again aren't I?.... :)

I still don't understand exactly what you want from the game NEG, I'm not being sarcastic or mean, please spell it out so an idiot like me can see it from your point of view.

Reasons old school WoW players signed up for an MMORPG:

Strong story, lore and characters.

Playing as a team being optimal.

Time you invest is rewarded.

Friends you make are important.

Long term commitments.

Things you just said you like about current WoW:

The opposite of all the above.

Are you replying to mechamonkey? If so, that's a bit mean. He makes his own fun in the game and uses what's available to him because he doesn't have the time to play 'properly', but he has fun and enjoys himself, so where's the harm? Blizzard should be commended for enabling people like mechamonkey to still play the game and have fun regardless of what everyone else is doing.

Oh, and all the things in the first list are still applicable to modern wow.

Bork's; the reason ravenholdt is packed is because it's been merged with Venture Co, Sporeggar and Defias Brotherhood. Prior to that, Ravenholdt was dead.

As someone who hasnt played since WOTLK and only then played pretty casually, and one of the original beta onward (TBC) WoW'ers, I think NEG has some pretty valid points. Mainly about the community, it just seems to have disapeared, a vast ream of avatars who you'll likely not see again. Back in Vanilla you had proper guild rivalries, everyone knew each other, while mining Thorium down t'pit.

That said coming back to the game with so many changes, it is a peice of piss to play these days. You could argue for the worse, but it makes it so much easier to play casually and jump in and out. That and not having to waste your life grinding for fucking everything like its a full-time job in itself is great tbh.

Are you replying to mechamonkey?

It's a flat forum who else would I be responding to.

He makes his own fun in the game and uses what's available to him because he doesn't have the time to play 'properly', but he has fun and enjoys himself, so where's the harm? Blizzard should be commended for enabling people like mechamonkey to still play the game and have fun regardless of what everyone else is doing.

My post is there to fulfill mecha's request of highlighting some obvious differences between his and older players expectations of WoW. Everything he currently enjoys is counter to the list but it doesn't matter, to him.

You could have been replying to NEG.

Again, all the things you listed are still in the game now, so you're not really backing NEG or arguing against Mechamonkey, either. All the things you mention are as applicable to mechamonkey as they are to NEG, he just gets them from different sources.

Also lol @ someone who hasn't played in four years telling us how things are now :lol: Just because you're not part of a community doesn't mean one doesn't exist at all.

Long term commitments.

I signed up because the original beta was mentioned on here and it looked fun and there was an rllmuk guild. Mechamonkey has been playing from near enough the same time I would guess. You can't really generalise.

Edit: That's not to say I don't disagree with all your points as such but to be fair you are pretty much wrong on every point with regards to Mecha,

Long term commitments.

Ive been playing MMOs since 97 and WoW since beta (with about 12 months off in total) you've assumed incorrectly.

Story is still strong

Playing as a team. Have you never spent hours /shouting LFG and logging off because you can't do anything solo? I have many times its shit. Paying for a game you can't play.

Time you invest is rewarded. It is, no need for it to be a second job or life substitute though.

Friends you make are important. I don't see your point? You can /friend anyone you meet. Make a channel or guild. I've got friends in my list from all sorts of servers and you can play with them all, cross server is ace.

I speak to old MuK friends all the time even if I'm not raiding any more etc.

Long term commitments. F**k that. I nearly lost friends/family/job/ by this mentality,

I'd like to see more proper epic quests (Google the Everquest epic requirements and rewards, now that's a proper epic)

Just to be clear I was referring to my experiences of coming back after taking time off from pre Dinosaur Isle MoP, lots has changed and I love the changes as they fit MY play style these days, I can get to see everywhere and enjoy raids without having to surrender my life to it and become a jaded moaning MMO slave. I don't care about loots etc as long as I get to take part in fantastic adventures.

Sorry if that's a bit moany and grumpy, been up since 5 working and finished late.

May the Borka be with you.

Also lol @ someone who hasn't played in four years telling us how things are now :lol: Just because you're not part of a community doesn't mean one doesn't exist at all.

Why is that funny? Do you have had to live and breathe the game in the last four years to have an opinion? Apologies, didn't realise that is how it works :hmm:

Obviously I can't vouch for the entire server population and whether a community exists. But in my limited anecdotal experience, the server I am on is half dead. I expect a lot of people will reappear in a few days. But the sense of the community you used to have years ago, a load of guild members populating popular parts of a town or city, the rivalary between guilds is all but dead.

It's just very presumptuous for someone who hasn't played in four years to assume they know how things stand now, when in reality the game has changed massively in that time. You don't have to live and breath the game, but some up to date knowledge would lend credence to your point. I wouldn't say 'I've not watched Neighbours in four years but I know exactly how it is right now', because I have no idea what's going on with the show, what's changed in that four years, what direction the show is going in, who the key characters are, the main storylines etc.

Off topic a bit from the current discussion but I'm interested to know how people are planning to level? Part of the fun I've found with every expac release is logging on at silly o'clock and seeing the same people still heroicly pushing forward levelling.

So, who is going to rush through and try to hit 100 ASAP and who is going to relax and enjoy it as it comes?