IGNORED

The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

• 4 weeks later...

Asmond's twitch highlights have been a constant source of entertainment this expansion. Especially when he's interacting with McConnel who plays the Devil's advocate so well. Much better than HeelVsBabyface who has gone full "Everything Blizzard does is wrong, and I won't hear otherwise" AGAIN. His current videos are looking like parodies of the vids he made just a month ago.

@Pixelbark Yeah, Azmongold is a lot fairer while still making the points that need to be made. HeelVsBabyface is simply straight up burnt out (much like I was by end of Cata) and comes off very bitter about everything as a result.

It's surprising seeing the amount of backlash from the bigger YTers in general this time around. I would have imagined many have simply grown accustom to modern wow's sensibilities and having a laugh with it even if you disagree with the current gameplay design, but no, some videos it's as if years of distain for modern wow are finally pouring out of people. I dunno. I made my peace to modern's shittyness a long time ago. Are the YTers simply doing it for clickbait?

Because outside of the worse story and azerite gear being boring, BFA is very much Legion in feel to me. To some degree I don't see why these modern players are whining so much right now. Azerite vendors don't make the game a RPG, guys. It doesn't make your server matter. It doesn't make you form groups and relationsh-

Best stop myself. :)

Back to fishing in Redridge. Such a peaceful place.

Oh, I get issue completely. It's currently a game that resists you from making progress past their set speed. Sticking 40 hours a week into it yields similar rewards to 5 hours, and the forced rarity of Azerite gear is completely baffling. I do like the changes though, making it easy to get a random specific slot, and then slowly working towards the BiS piece for each patch. It's the best comprise for a loony system, although, I still don't see why the gear just doesn't drop in M+. While it may be a potential infinite source of gear, lets be real, it's quicker to upgrade through raids than m+

3 hours ago, Pixelbark said:

Oh, I get issue completely. It's currently a game that resists you from making progress past their set speed. Sticking 40 hours a week into it yields similar rewards to 5 hours

This has been the case since Wrath, I'd argue. It's just that war/titanforge makes effort seem more pointless these days. When stats themselves for your time are a slot machine, it takes away the sense of earn.

I'd also argue the real issue is content outside of gearing doesn't exist, and has never really been developed in general, outside of PVP. But it wasn't as much of a problem before because the road to gear was 'content enough' for most people.

• 2 weeks later...

If sharding does indeed make it into classic, no buy. They still don't understand.

They're saying it'll only be for launch, but think about this. Every time there's a lot of people in a area, bang, sharding. AQ event? Bang, sharding. Terren Mill vs Southshore? Sharding. They'll excuse it every time because 'smooth experience'.

They're saying they'll phase it out, but why have it to begin with? Fuck smoothness. Fuck it if people have to camp singular mobs for hours on end. Your worried about smoothness? Do what's bloody right and open ten billion  servers then you useless pieces of shit.

Having sharding remain in is like leaving the biggest devil, the biggest fucker of modern wow, into what your calling classic.

Cough, sorry.

Going to agree with Radish here.

The benefits of not having sharding only really apply to the game later on. It makes zero impact to the initial say 1-30 experience. Once the servers calm down, and people start hitting STV, that's when you can start turning it off so that shitty higher level rogues can sit in the jungle and grief everyone for hours on end.

From the panels at Blizzcon, it's VERY clear that the devs get what the majority of people want from classic.

I'm also sympathetic to the changes that have been made, battle.net integration makes sense as the way people communicate has changed drastically in 15 years. If people are just going to run discord on the side, then you may as well let their own client work alongside it. Allowing people to trade gear if it got sent to the wrong person by mistake takes so much strain off the customer services team for what is a menial task, I'm more than willing to look the other way.

Saying that, having played the demo, I have a couple of thoughts.

There are certain things Classic does better than BfA, and a way it kinda reminds me of Monster Hunter Generations. When you hit a village, you really have to prep for leaving the village again. Get some pots sorted, get food again, clear out your bags, and set off again. It's a nice experience and I love when a game can get the aspect of "preparing to do content" to be as involved as doing the content itself...

HOWEVER, man, the gameplay is so shite compared to what we have now. It's so god damn slow, and this is exactly what I was fearing about returning to classic. Things like the 5 second rule, could you imagine not healing for 5 seconds in today's game? I completely forgot that Heroic strike wasn't an actual active ability, and that it just modified your next auto-attack.

I'll probably play on and off during quite spots in retail, but I'm never switching over as a replacement. It's nice that it's just going to be there on my launcher, and that'll run quite well on my laptop. But that's about it. I'm glad you classic guys are getting what you wanted (mainly looking at you Neg), but I personally think you're crazy for wanting to go back to this. There are elements I think would fit in quite well if they were implemented into the retail version (longer dungeons that are challenging without being focused on doing them in a timely manner). Like having current M+0 being heroic, and M+10 being the base mythic (affixes and all) without a timer. M+10 is the sweet spot for difficulty at the moment, so being able to do that without a timer constantly ticking down would be a godsend. Professions being a lot more involved into the game, everything the Azerite system currently does could have been put onto professions instead, so it's a shame to see them take a back seat again (unless you're an alchemist). 

But hey, classic guys, enjoy yourselves!

32 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

Going to agree with Radish here.

The benefits of not having sharding only really apply to the game later on. It makes zero impact to the initial say 1-30 experience.

Disagree when 1-30 can be several months of gameplay for some people, like it did for me back in the day.

After the listening to the panels I think the classic team know what needs to be done and what we want. They've pretty much said that they know sharding isn't in the spirit of vanilla, they'll even be banning mods that simplify the game, awesome! That's certainly lifted my concerns a bit. Quite a few team members are also from the original development team.

Worst comes to worst, much like Tipster says below, we can simply ignore launch until sharding is gone. Ideally won't take long.

28 minutes ago, Pixelbark said:

Who's paying for that? :rolleyes:

Activision Blizzard's big fat wallet. Oh and the bank they'll be making from mobile diablo from Asian players.

Whilst 1-30 can take several months for some people, they still need sharding at launch purely to prevent dead servers emerging once the launch period is over.

I'd rather live with sharding momentarily to ensure my server isn't a desolate waste finding myself having to re-roll onto a new server.

The WoW Classic panel was absolutely great, and I'm confident that all of the decisions they've made are for good reason, whether it's sharding, Rogue energy ticks or mail limitations. All are exactly what I would've done given the choice.

50 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm confident that all of the decisions they've made are for good reason

Modern WoW is in the mess it is because of this thinking. While there's no reason to doubt them too much yet, not critiquing only harms them, doesn't help. Because these are the same people who said 'You think you do, but you don't'. They did not know shit, not too long ago.

1 minute ago, NEG said:

Modern WoW is in the mess it is because of this thinking. While there's no reason to doubt them too much yet, not critiquing only harms them, doesn't help. Because these are the same people who said 'You think you do, but you don't'.

But I am critiquing them. It's just that I actually looked at what they have said and I happen to agree with everything they have said.

Also, anyone saying vanilla/classic plays slow need to remind themselves just how quickly the game can actually be pushed:

I'm absolutely hooked on exploiting the lack of global cooldown on things like Cold Snap, Iron Grenades and the rotation of various trinkets into the cast chain, Tidal Charm being a favourite. So awesome when the interrupts 'break' the character animations.

That said I'm likely going to be going Destruction Warlock again. Hardly a good idea with my limited game time these days, but let's see.

Is there a rllmuk clan or something for this? My wife and I have just started playing as something we can play together, wouldn't mind joining up with you guy's one day in the very distant future :lol:

We shall be dawdling through it and whether we do raids and whatnot down the road remains to be seen but you never know!

And if there is a clan what server do you guys play on? We're still toying with characters and classes at the moment so aren't too far in.

• 1 month later...
On 08/08/2018 at 14:51, MotiVater said:

Does everywhere scale mob levels now?  Or is that just a WoD thing?  Half considering starting a lock from level 1, any up-to date levelling guides out there that make it as painless as possible? 

I believe vanilla ares is 0-65 then TBC and WotLK art 65-75 not sure about the next zones.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...