IGNORED

The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

Lucky for you they're totally revamping the starter zone next expansion, then! 

The starter zones were redone with Cataclysm, which is now ten years old, so even the updated old world is now old. In the next expansion they're changing things:

- If you're totally new, you'll do the brand new starter experience and then level from 10 - 50 in the Battle for Azeroth story content before getting to the new Shadowlands expansion content from 50-60.

- If you've got a max level character already, and if you make a new character, you do the starter zone and then can pick which expansion story you use to level and it will scale and last all the way from 10 - 50.

On 05/08/2020 at 12:03, Matt Defis said:

Maybe i should wait then until the end of the year. 

You'll be level 40 in three or four hours, so the starter areas are hardly an issue.  It's actually a really good time to start WoW, because it's double xp until the expansion, so you can get a character to level 120 quicker than if you start when Shadowlands is released, so when it is you can get into the content that the majority of people are playing at that time.  

So one good thing about shadowlands is it appears that Shadowpriests are getting a much needed revamp.  Void form has always been really awkward for non-raid/boss encounters, and its always felt weak when you're not in it, but for most of your time, you arent in it long enough to get any use out of it.  So, the basic changes are;

- voidform is no longer tied to your insanity, instead becoming a flat 90 second cooldown dps boost that lasts for 15 seconds.

- Devouring plague is back!  You spend your insanity on this now, its your big, hard hitting dot.

- you can now make it so that you can cast spells during mind flay, so you arent cancelling and restarting it as much

- your shadowy apparitions arent tied to your dot ticks now, meaning they dont scale stupidly with adds.  Instead, its tied to your cooldown spells like mindblast, but they guarantee one, and if you crit, it triggers 2.

Because of this they're dedone a bunch of talents around it, and they sound pretty nice.  More importantly, the gameplay is smoother, and they've made non-voidform stuff feel better, not like you're just waiting to get enough insanity for it till you can really do some damage

• 2 weeks later...

So Shadowlands is looking more and more like a November release, with the first raid appearing shortly after the new year. 

Preach has been pretty scathing of the new raid, apart from the final boss, but regardless I just like the fact we're basically raiding Castlevania. 

concept.jpg

PTR is available for anyone interested. Features the class revamps, new starter zone Exile's Reach and the level squish, as well as all the new character customisations. 

I stopped playing Classic and let my sub run out about two weeks ago. Stupidly left stuff in my mailbox and was at first considering paying £9.99 just to retrieve it so it doesn't get deleted but as more time passes, the less I care. Like, am I really bothered if my Hammer of the Northern Wind (omg frost damage) gets deleted, along with a load of Twilight sets for summoning stones, and enchanting mats? Ehhhh, I dunno. I was seriously addicted and loving it, but then I got Football Manager on a whim, after worrying it would be the first version I haven't owned since Championship Manager 97/98, and I'm content just playing that, and go to bed far less stressed.

• 2 weeks later...

Me, I care! :D

Nearly got a 120 DK on Ravenholdt as well now. Will probably be around this weekend doing some Monk / Hunter levelling with Rach.

I'm hoping they have a sale on prior to SL so that I can get some cheap transfers for characters which I have to have (like Loki :p).

On 30/08/2020 at 17:13, ThePixelbarks said:

Are a load of us still on dreanor? Currently guildless and was wondering if we had any plans to do stuff in Shadowlands? 

There is about 10 of us playing horde side, most came back because of lockdown but are still playing. We aren't raiding these days but do mythic dungeons with a whole set of characters. You would be welcome to join us if you are looking for a very casual group.

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to do the Balance Of Power questline from Legion to unlock the artifact appearances for my Druid as it gives me some sweet new animal forms, but holy fuck is it tedious.  I imagine at the time the conten was relevant it wasnt too bad, but I never got that far with it because part of it requires normal mode raiding and my guild was pretty much starting to fall apart at that point so I never bothered.

You can solo it all now, as the hardest bit is doing Nighthold on normal a few times, and thats easy enough with gear from dailies now.  But my god, it just goes on forever, and the thing is its all super boring really.  There arent any really cool quests that have cool story elements, its all "go here, get this macguffin, now do these 3 mythic dungeons to get this macguffin, now run this raid a bunch of times to get 20 of these random macguffins from each boss, now grind some rep....now repeat all that with different mythics/raid bosses/macguffins"

I'm currently on the last phase of the questline where I have 3 quests to complete in the Nighthold - 1 is to kill Guldan and get his eye, another is to get meaningless items off 2 bosses, and the third is the one I'm "stuck" on, because you need 20 of a shard that drops off bosses, but you cant get them all in 1 week.  It took a while longer to get here because you need to be reverred with a few factions, and I was only friendly with the Nightborn so that took a bit.  You also have a few bits where if you didnt do those quests leveling, you have to now to advance enough.  But like I said, this is a really boring quest on its own - if you were completing it passively at the time by doing mythics and raiding it wouldnt be so bad, but seperately its just not interesting at all.  There arent any cool plot beats that you see in it, and given some of the quest lines and stories we have had, thats a disappointment considering how its tied into such a major focus on Legion, the artifact weapons.

I'm assuming that the achievement doesnt count on other characters so I'm only getting the appearances on the driud, but after this sack doing it on any other characters. Which is a shame, some of them are really cool.

On 02/09/2020 at 11:19, Nimmel said:

There is about 10 of us playing horde side, most came back because of lockdown but are still playing. We aren't raiding these days but do mythic dungeons with a whole set of characters. You would be welcome to join us if you are looking for a very casual group.

Hi, would you mind inviting my Druid to join the guild please?  I'm not hardcore, far from it.  That character isn't even lvl 120 yet, although probably will be soon.  A friendly little guild sounds lovely.  The character's name is Turtles.