IGNORED

The Random WoW Thread

Bojangle

I got absolutely shafted with the Great Vault this week.

2/3 of the items I could get (only unlocked the PvP ones) were duplicates of what I already had. The last item I could get was an off-hand weapon, when I already have the staff.

Sad boy :(

12 hours ago, Matt Defis said:

I hit 60, guess i just finish up the story then start with end game gear grind and do lots of the stuff I've missed between vanilla and now. 

This past week I’ve been going through the old raids for mounts and gear*. It’s really interesting seeing all the things I missed and also a bit relieving - some of the raids are so long and big that I probably wouldn’t have been happy doing them.

I haven’t gone back to the Classic raids yet as I don’t want to ruin my rose-tinted image of them!

*If you didn’t know, you can now change the look of your current gear to gear you have previously picked up. Ask the capital guards for directions to transmogrification.

• 3 weeks later...

I ‘completed’ the raid last night through the Group Finder mechanism. I rather enjoyed all the fights and think Blizzard’s art team really aced the Revendreth theme. 

I’ve seen a lot of dislike for Group Finder but it’s perfect for me. Sure I’d like a Guild and to raid regularly, but this allows me to playa  few hours when I want without disappointing guild mates or wife!

On 04/02/2021 at 13:00, Doctor Shark said:

The old RP-PVP server group (Defias Brotherhood, Ravenholdt, Scarshield Legion, Sporeggar) are all linked now and I've been on them for years with no issues. Gimme a shout if you do return @Mallet and we can do the refer a friend thing for a lapsed account and both get some rewards.

My First Character was an undead Warlock on Scarshield :)  I'm now on Vek'lenash :D 

On 08/02/2021 at 12:41, Isaac said:

So what's the general consensus on this expansion, a few months on?

Is it a good one?

I think the silence speaks volumes. Let's just start by answering the question, is it bad? No. Things however, feel a bit weird at the moment. We got a lot of the issues that most people had with WoW reverted:

-The endless power treadmill was removed, you can now get your best in slot set for your character if you put the time in.

-Titanforging was completely removed, you now get the best loot in the game from doing the hardest content. There are no longer any tales of people in LFR getting mythic level loot for a lot less "work".

-PvP had its scaling removed, and has a gear progression that makes sense again.

So it's thumbs up all round, right? Everyone got their dreams answered, and now WoW is in its new glory age.

This is unfortunately just not the case, instead WoW right now feels really wrong in a way that's hard to put my finger on. I'll get the bit that they got right out of the way first. Although I don't do it, PvP is currently in an excellent condition. It plays like a complicated version of Vanilla PvP, you walk in, you hit hard, and a lot of your power comes from your gear and not a system trying to make the game "fair". WoW PvP isn't meant to be fair, there are other games for that. It's a willy waving competition, and right now, it's doing a great job of being just that.

Raiding is in the same spot it's been for the past 2-3 expansions. It's solid, and the team are doing a great job making challenging content for those who can commit to it. That being said, they've not really brought anything new to the table for this expansion, or the last one to be fair either. Apart from XIV, there's no one else really doing this sort of content, and WoW is far more difficult in nature that the offerings that XIV has. But that's what WoW is, it's THE raiding MMO, but I can't help but feel that they're not really able to offer anything new at this point.

Mythic+ Right, buckle in, I'm about to get very ranty. I fucking detest what they have done to M+ in this expansion. M+ was originally introduced to be a separate pillar of progression that was on par to raiding and PvP. Content you could do with 5 people, as much as you wanted, with rewards for you adding affixes and damage as you went along. Legion was the first expansion to have this, and it was also the best implementation of it by far. It wasn't too grueling, and mistakes just took a massive chunk of your life off. Kinda like a slap on the wrists that you just couldn't do in quick succession. Then BFA came along, and now dungeons were being designed with mythic+ in mind. Every pack of trash did something that could wipe you, which while on paper sounds like good design, it meant that M+ turned into 30-40 mins of INTENSE concentration with no respite. Which compared to raiding's offering of 3-10 minute encounters with a decent chunk of downtime inbetween, saw players adapt to it in a new way. Players would mostly do their 10/15 key once a week (to get their weekly box), then drop down a good 5 levels to get have a smoother experience and take the chance that something might titanforge on them, but still get a decent chunk of azerite for the effort. Which brings us to Shadowlands. M+ is no longer a progression path. In terms of rewards, for a +15, you're looking at look that's about on par but slightly worse than a heroic raid.  Doing a +15 in time however, I would say in terms of difficulty, is about on par with the middle of a mythic raid. It's that concentration I was discussing in the bfa segment, but they've double downed on the mechanics. It feels like there are no trash mobs, that everything has 2-3 abilities that you need to be a least aware of, and even months down the line it feels like there are still abilities that come out of the blue that you were never aware of before. The new affixes that were added aren't fun at all, each one of them feels like a hindrance that just isn't fun to work around. Who thought that bringing back the emissary of the tides from bfa season 2 was a good idea? And then adding that to EVERY BLOODY PACK. Storming is just a big ol' fuck you to melee, just punishing you for having the audacity to bring a melee player along with you. Tyranical still sucks, 7+ minute boss fights with mechanics that can one shot players outright. Tanks are just made out of paper, and the best "meta" tank currently is the one that is the best at playing benny hill. Dive in with defensives, get some aggro, then run around like an idiot for 20 seconds while you wait for defensives to return. Healers feel underpowered, and with the amount of AOE damage going about, it's more a hope and pray that people can stay alive half the time. The timers feel TIGHT, stupidly tight. The other side just got its timer increased by ANOTHER 2 minutes (3rd time now), but even then, it's just a slog. And what for? Well...

Loot. I'm just going to say it, it was a mistake to remove titanforging. There were aspects of titanforging that were great, it gave people a reason and incentive to do lower difficulty content and help other players who just aren't as good or are less geared. There were some downsides as well, the main one is that there should have been a limit to how high an item can scale. LFR has no business granting Mythic trinkets, but a normal/heroic version just feels like a nice bonus. Mythic raid gear should always have been the best version of that item, and shouldn't have the chance to go higher. Sure, it's a great way to stealthly nerf the difficulty of a raid tier as time goes by, but doing the very hardest content should always give you the best loot the game has to offer. If you see a weapon drop, you don't want to feel like shit because it wasn't the one with the gem slot and 30 extra int on it. Personal loot rules are still a problem, it psychologically has the effect of appearing like you did a lot of work, for no reward at all. It just gets slipped into a random bag, so there's no excitement of looking through the drops, and discussing what the best way to distribute that loot is. It removes a reason to communicate with your peers (more on this later). But now we have a one-two punch of there just being a lot less loot in the game in general. More people, more often, are having that experience of "this had no reward". The way that loot is dribbled out in M+ right now, is shocking. You can easily go 5-10 runs without seeing an item drop, which is a lot of hours for nothing in return, doing content that's just draining in nature. The weekly box changes are great for raiders and PvPers, it all makes perfect sense and gives you a better chance once a week to get an item that's good for you. Once again, Mythic plus, not so much. You see, you have to do 1/5/10 runs to open up the different chances. The 1 run is exactly like the old system, it just takes your highest key for the week, and gives you an enhanced bit of loot to the difficulty of the run you completed. 5 and 10 however gets a bit weird. It rewards an item of loot for the 5th/10th highest key you did that week. So if you did 4 +15s, but then went and helped a guildie with a +6 he's struggling to get people to do. That item is now a +6, rather than the +15s you slogged your way through. This of course means people are de-incentivised from helping their guildies, as it's wasting their time and reducing their chances for a better reward. People don't want to help others anymore, leading nicely into

community. I don't know what's happened, at the start of this expansion, I lost my guild due to Draenor shitting the bed on a nightly basis during launch. Since then, I've been looking for a new place to call home. Some people want to say that the WoW community has become toxic, especially in places such as twitch and twitter. I disagree completely. My main reason is that there's no community at all in this game any more.

No one talks in groups

No one talks in guilds

There's no drama because there's nothing to talk about. You do your activity and the game decides if you are allowed to have something for it.

I've been in 3 different guilds so far, and each one of them have been exactly the same. You only see them on raid night, then they all vanish. I've even got alts in "social"guilds with 900+ members. I once saw 125+ members online, and not a word being said. You offer up a key, nothing. Ask how their days have been, nothing.

I'm seeing a lot of people currently leaving or just quiting, but it's not for a specific reason any more. They all just feel done with the game. This has been the most important game to me since its launch and I've met so many great people, had 10 guildies cramped into a 1 floor apartment with my and the missus for a weekend to have a great laugh together. I feel this game is currently dying, and that I'm holding onto the corpse because no other game fills this hole. I talk to others who do still play, and their opinions feel similar yet different. I tried XIV, but it failed at the first hurdle of being a game I could play with my missus, as it constantly did its best to separate us.

I don't know how blizzard can fix this any more.

Spoiler

They could start by making M+ less shit

Is it a good one?

Same as the last few, good fun at the start while leveling and gearing up, then you settle into the time gated grind and either stick with it and only play WoW or give up like I did and play some much more enjoyable games. A Shame really and I fall for it every time.

I am really enjoying it. The raid is fun, pvp is the best it’s been in years and the dungeons are good, too. M+ needs adjusting to not be as punishing and offer more loot, they need to drop more loot in raids as well, but the weekly vault is a good system and I love love love the pvp upgrade system and basically want them to do that for pve as well. 

I’m main raid tank in a small friendly guild of people mostly around my age so it’s just fun and banter, no drama, we raid twice a week for three hours a time and enjoy ourselves and we always clear the heroic version before the next raid comes out, but we don’t do mythic raids. I’ve gotten into a good little pvp community on the side and have been enjoying battlegrounds and arena immensely to the point where it’s all I want to do. 

So I’m the complete opposite of Pixelbark, essentially. It’s a far better expansion than BFA ever was. 

18 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

That doesn’t mean my opinion is any less valid or wrong compared to yours. If you’re not enjoying it that’s fair enough. Not everyone is going to enjoy it. I do, so I play it. 

Knew it!

It's a game that sucks away your life or it doesn't no happy medium and I feel like it's been increasingly designed to suck as much time as possible. 

I've been there, just feel I am chasing that old feeling that I think it's lost nowadays, some of the choices Blizz make baffle me sometimes, running dungeon and getting nothing for them but a tiny amount of currency just isnt fun, I prefer when it was loot everywhere.

Well I've taken a break from SWTOR and thought I'd come and have a go, it's fun but it really shows its age.

It looks like shit, the quest stucture is ancient and borderline embarrassing, I can't believe scolls of text for a quest are still a thing, for some reason I thought the game had moved past that with cutscenes and voice actors. raiding and +M are fun*, Torghast and the Maw can fuck right off, it seems hard to find a competant group most the time, I'm thinking I might just switch to Heroic raids because there must be people with more sense there than in normals, the boss fights are pretty basic but everyone just seems like a drooling idiot that can't follow simple instructions. The community is non existant as far as I can tell, there's a lot of poeple sure but nobody talks in groups, raids, PVP and in the guild I joined, they never seem to do anything together, there were 36 poeple online in the guild and nobody said a thing for hours.

*they are when you actually get given something for the effort you put in, I couldn't believe it when it was explained that you more often than not don't get any loot for doing a raid or a dungeon, who the fuck thought that was good idea, absolute bullshit.

As for the PVP 

I don't know if it's just the current meta but PVP seems fucking awful here, how has this game been out so long and yet people still can't figure out basic BG tactics, people still fight away from flags and in the middle of nowhere and as for class balance, it seems totally broken to me, maybe it's because the counters in SWTOR are different and I need to change my thinking but a rogue on it's own can almost global me as a tank, 2 rogues and I have zero chance of doing a damn thing, a rogue in SWTOR wouldn't go anywhere near a tank and would leave that for casters, there's a pretty defined rock-paper-scissors in SWTOR it's basically Tanks kill MDPS, MDPS kill casters and casters kill tanks, here it seems rogues kill everything in a few seconds which to be honest isn't much different from when I left the game about 2 months after Arathi Highlands BG was released all those years ago.

Overall it's ok for wasting some time on but there is way better out there.

48 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

So I’m the complete opposite of Pixelbark, essentially. It’s a far better expansion than BFA ever was. 

I never said that, my main issue is the state of M+ and the general WoW community.

I mean, there's another rant I could have about Anima, but I feel if I go down that rabbit hole, I may end up getting rewarded 35 anima. In short, why does a system that has a separate weekly gating system (Redeemed souls) give such a pitiful amount? (And don't just say "lore")

3 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I just remembered about Torghast as well, only stopped playing about a month ago and I had already wiped it from my mind.

Unironically I did exactly the same thing until the Missus saw it on MMO-champ. I still believe they played Torghast far too safe.

10 hours ago, ThePixelbarks said:

So if you did 4 +15s, but then went and helped a guildie with a +6 he's struggling to get people to do. That item is now a +6, rather than the +15s you slogged your way through.

This is not correct btw. You'd still get a choice of two 226 items. Imagine you did 10 dungeons. The rewards are given at 1,4,10 if you listed them out in order of difficulty.

Re: is the expansion shit? The answer is yes.

- Anima as an incentive is garbage. They've also got the amounts wrong on both rewards and purchasable items. 35 anima rewards from an M+. Transmog bullshit items costing 3500 to buy etc.

- The reward structure is bad. You have to over gear the content to receive rewards that are below your ilvl or not worth the effort expended.

- Raid drop rates are low and it pisses everyone off.

- Legendaries are weak. The method of acquisition is brain-dead nonsense on the same level as islands.

- PvP is a broken mess because class balance is fucked and it over rewards you for doing bullshit content (RBGs).

There's loads of other annoying shit but apart from the actual raiding the expansion is a bust.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

It’s a far better expansion than BFA ever was.

Having mulled on this for a few hours... is it? Is it a "far better" expansion? Corruptions (in their final iteration) are more interesting than leggos and conduits combined. 

But I believe the whole point of this expansion was to give us all the systems up front, so is this it for the expansion in terms of mechanics? Ion even went and walked back on the "Tier sets" recently, saying that they would be cosmetic only.

So, is it "far better"? The removal of the constant grind is great, but outside of that, meh.

Is it a good one?

It’s kept me occupied since launch so I think it was quite good! I think I have almost finished with it for now, though.

There are a couple of things I don’t enjoy - unfortunately they’re the things to do in the endgame when you don’t have a raiding guild. As mentioned, Mythic+ dungeons are a bit too hardcore and too stressful to be any fun. And Torghast is far too long and repetitive. 

As I don’t have an active guild, I PUG a lot. These activities are great when you get a fun, talented group who like to joke around. There’s about a 1/50 chance of that, though. It’s usually silence. :(

I play for 10 to 15hrs a week and I am enjoying it. I am ilvl 210 and have 9/10 on heroic mainly through PUGs. It's WoW and I am not sure what you guys were expecting. The raid is decent, M+ is fun a few times a week and I don't feel obligated to do anything which is great. I fucked off the Maw within the first 2 weeks for example. Being in a small guild and enjoying the banter over comms is an added bonus as always!

I never PVP though. Never been my thing.