Call Of Duty 2

rubberducker

COD2 on veteran really does have moments of greatness though, particularly in the early Russian stages. You're only killed if you fuck up, and it's all about treading carefully. Unfortunately, that kind of goes out the window in the latter half of the game, and it's more about luck.

• 6 years later...
On 24/03/2010 at 00:12, Timmo said:

Wow, people really were easy to please a few years ago. Call of Duty games on veteran are clearly the worst thing ever. And comparisons to Halo on Legendary?

Just spotted this 7-year-old slight from @Timmo!

COD2, at the time, was brilliant on Veteran. Sure, it's all overly-familiar now and subsequent COD games were too hard on Vet (persevering with MW1 on Vet was a big mistake), but this was a great experience in 2005. Halo comparisons were more apt back then because recharging health, two weapon limit, dedicated grenade button and 'wide corridor' levels weren't yet the standard.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

Just spotted this 7-year-old slight from @Timmo!

COD2, at the time, was brilliant on Veteran. Sure, it's all overly-familiar now and subsequent COD games were too hard on Vet (persevering with MW1 on Vet was a big mistake), but this was a great experience in 2005. Halo comparisons were more apt back then because recharging health, two weapon limit, dedicated grenade button and 'wide corridor' levels weren't yet the standard.

I finished this on veteran (360) with a friend not too long ago and it's absolutely horrible. Enemies which keep respawning, endless nade spam, insta death's around corners, etc. 

I'm not even a Halo fan but to compare that to CoD fucking 2 is nonsense. The latter doesn't hold a candle to the former when it comes to the singleplayer mode.

Just now, VN1X said:

I finished this on veteran (360) with a friend not too long ago and it's absolutely horrible. Enemies which keep respawning, endless nade spam, insta death's around corners, etc. 

I'm not even a Halo fan but to compare that to CoD fucking 2 is nonsense. The latter doesn't hold a candle to the former when it comes to the singleplayer mode.

Look it was 12 years ago alright, just shut up!

• 4 years later...

"Oh, hi Angel"

Anyway, I don't know where it came from but I had a sudden urge to install COD 2 on my 360. It was one of those games along with PGR 3 that sold me on Microsoft's machine as being a fine investment in xmas 05. I basically just wanted to install and check how far I'd progressed all those years ago, from my save files data I'd last played in 07. Just weird curiosity.

Two intense gaming hours later and I'm remembering a time when I fucking loved COD. The single player campaign is fantastic. So intense and moreish. I've had an absolute blast (been a long time since I thought that about a Call of Duty game) and have made tonight my 'finish COD 2 on the 360' night. Just ordered a Domino's coz I just want to play, no time to cook.

I know modern COD has a massive fanbase so it must still be fantastic for a lot of people but I've long since abandoned the series and its focus on multiplayer.

It's just such a fantastic fucking game. Intense as all hell. It's made me very nostalgic for a time when this game was what COD was all about.

Captain Price is here too, in a fashion.

• 1 year later...
11 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

20220829103101_1.thumb.jpg.191b90dd580cf88b59f8b3092799288b.jpg

Seventeen years old.  Look at it! It still looks so good. I just finished the campaign and I'm absolutely blown away by how good it is. The final push up Hill 400, the defence and then the advance into Germany is just chefs kiss. Infinity Ward used to be absolute wizards.

playing this on veteran was very stressful!

It’s funny, I didn’t like it at all when it first came out. It didn’t feel like a step forward from the first game, other than the graphics. In fact, it felt like a step back from the United Offensive expansion in terms of gameplay. I especially hated the recharging health. I wrote it off as being overrated mass market Michael Bay style trash. Looking at it now though, particularly in light of how overblown the CoD campaigns have become, it’s such a focussed and snappy experience. Bombast, designed to keep you pushing forwards (recharging health, constant grenade threat) in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, stuff happening everywhere and allies always with you. No half baked story to tug at your feels, it just nails the feeling of you being a small cog in a huge machine, grinding onwards. It’s incredibly well done.

Not a chance I’m going to try it on veteran, but I may well try the CoD 2 remastered mod. It looks really nice in stills.

One of my favourite games of all time, it's an underappreciated classic. I bothered to complete it on Veteran and spent hundreds of hours playing online. The M1 Garand was such a beautiful gun to play with and the multiplayer maps were extremely well designed and it didn't have any of that killstreak bonus stuff they implemented in MW. The finest game on the 360 in it's first year.

26 minutes ago, DualSense said:

I played the original last year. Remember the game won’t save at a checkpoint if you don’t have a decent amount of health.

Yeah, I've played through it a good few times over the years, I'm sure it'll all come flooding back. I used to play in a competitive clan back in the CoD/UO days! I'm quite keen to get the MP going actually, I believe there are a few populated servers running.