IGNORED

Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

Aye. I listened to the end though, I like the show. About ten minutes from the end Anthony nipped out for a piss (he made a big deal of mentioning he was going for a piss) and the guy who was quiet took over the recording. First thing he said is that he knew his mic had been turned right down the whole time.

Right, that's it.

Even when 1UP got 'shit' when Mark McDonald left, I carried on. When Luke left, I carried on. When Shane left, I carried on. Fuck, even when Garnett left, I carried on. But I can't carry on any longer. I don't want to give up on it as I've stuck with it for so long but 4Guys 1UP is so, so shit, I don't know where to start. I used to actually be excited when I downloaded the latest 1UP Yours, excited to hear what Garnett and Shane would argue about, excited about what iPhone game John would talk about, and even excited about the times Garnett got stupidly drunk but now, there's just no excitement.

Wake me up when Garnett and/or John Davidson get their new shows off the ground, because I'm done with 4Guys.

Alternatively, what are you guys listening to?

I tried listening to Giant Bomb again recently, still shit.

I'm on the verge of unsubscribing, the most recent was another dire effort; so little energy, boring personalities, horrible horrible games criticism, inane news commentary, and they make games that should be cool sound so fucking dull. I'm holding out hope for Parish to return and for them to get good guests again, and because i'm a creature of habit and can't bear to remove it after so many years.

I'm on the verge of unsubscribing, the most recent was another dire effort; so little energy, boring personalities, horrible horrible games criticism, inane news commentary, and they make games that should be cool sound so fucking dull. I'm holding out hope for Parish to return and for them to get good guests again, and because i'm a creature of habit and can't bear to remove it after so many years.

I'm exactly the same. Many of my friends and people on here unsubscribed ages ago calling 1UP Yours 'shit' and saying that Listen UP was even worse, but I still enjoyed it - although I did confess it was losing a certain something over time. But now I think I'm still listening to it just because I've done so for so long.

I don't want to unsubscribe, because it might just be going through a rough patch, and I want to ride it out, but on the other hand I want to vote by unsubscribing because if enough people do that they might actually change something. I'd love to know their listener figures since Garnett left.

I often disagreed with stuff spouted on the 1UP podcasts (usually Garnett), but that was ok, I felt engaged by the show. I thought Garnett leaving would be great, but now it's just booooring.

Recently listened to A Life Well Wasted - really really good stuff - just not enough of it! Only seven episodes through 2009 :)

Right, that's it.

Even when 1UP got 'shit' when Mark McDonald left, I carried on. When Luke left, I carried on. When Shane left, I carried on. Fuck, even when Garnett left, I carried on. But I can't carry on any longer.

Wake me up when Garnett and/or John Davidson get their new shows off the ground, because I'm done with 4Guys.

I gave up when Garnett left and even then it was way past it's best. I've listened to just one 4Guys show, the one with Jeff Green.

I looked forward to listening to 1Up when Shane, Mark and Luke were there but those days are long gone. A couple of football podcasts, Iain Lee and JoyPod are all I listen to now. There's definitely room for another gaming podcast but as I'm not really playing much at the moment, other than being a FIFA fanboy, I've not had the inclination to find one.

The episodes with John (really want to find a copy of the new style GamePro) and Constantine (the Sega dude) were really good but I think it's the new 'must have a guest' format that's killing it.

They can't get enough high calibre guests so end up bringing in one of their (ex)game journalist friends who may or may not have done a stint in the games industry and end up talking about the same shit over and over again - I really couldn't give a fuck anymore about the history of 1Up or Ziff Davis or GameSpot or IGN or anything else you've done again & again and afuckinggain.

I don't download it to hear them talk about their mutual friends or reminisce, the stuff about GamePro's past was interesting but that's only because it related to what John is doing with it now.

Leave the guest thing to once a month if it must be done, or just until there's a good guest.

Right, that's it.

Even when 1UP got 'shit' when Mark McDonald left, I carried on. When Luke left, I carried on. When Shane left, I carried on. Fuck, even when Garnett left, I carried on. But I can't carry on any longer. I don't want to give up on it as I've stuck with it for so long but 4Guys 1UP is so, so shit, I don't know where to start. I used to actually be excited when I downloaded the latest 1UP Yours, excited to hear what Garnett and Shane would argue about, excited about what iPhone game John would talk about, and even excited about the times Garnett got stupidly drunk but now, there's just no excitement.

I tried listening to Giant Bomb again recently, still shit.

Gamespy Debriefings is my main gaming podcast now. It does have a few sound issues, but it's very, very funny. Especially the one a couple of weeks back.

Geekbox is my general nerdery of TV shows and the like.

Mark Kermode for my movie stuff.

1up Oddcast as a nice change from the usual gaming format. Can have some funny moments

Finally, Retronauts. Parish is a great host for this. Informative without being boring.

Ive actually reached the point where I prefer Giant bomb to 1UP.

Me too. I still listen to 1Up religiously, however. Now, though, it just washes over me, really. And no, I don't hate David Ellis. It just needs a new regular with a big personality to make it sparkle. (It's nice to want things.)

My biggest criticism of the main 1UP podcast (Listen UP, 4Guys 1UP, whatever) is that it's a group of games journalists (using "journalism" in the loosest sense of the word, as their work is more "games critic" and "PR channel") spending the majority of the podcast trying to make insightful analysis of the games industry and its technologies.

To be honest, people should realise the boundaries of their expertise and work within them, or work on expanding them through education or relevant experience. As it stands, much of the "industry analysis" in the 1UP podcast just comes across as outsider speculation based on a small amount of fact and knowledge. Similarly, their talk about technical developments is mostly a waste of time as they try to apply layman's knowledge and understanding to some pretty complex technical topics (e.g. the OnLive thin game client).

This podcast would be much better, and is much better, when they talk about playing games, how and why they reviewed games in the way they did, what's coming down the pipeline etc.

Please, delegate the detailed NPD analysis, manufacturer/publisher/developer strategy topics, and technical analysis, to those who get paid to be experts in those fields.

their talk about technical developments is mostly a waste of time as they try to apply layman's knowledge and understanding to some pretty complex technical topics (e.g. the OnLive thin game client).

god yes. Their 'discussions' which involve development are also very painful, despite what they think they have no more knowledge than the average forum goer, which is to say fuck all. David Ellis really seems to be the worse in this department.

Finally got around to listening to the Shawn Elliot hosted Irrational games thing. I enjoyed it, but boy does it rip off This American Life. Moreso than A Life Well Wasted which is borderline plagiarism already!

I plan to listen to it sometime, because of Shawn, but I'm not exactly sure what it is - their dev studio, or other games/culture or something?

Gamespy Debriefings, Geekbox and Rebel FM are all good. Mobcast I am behind on, and the cast changes so much. I haven't listened to 1UP Yours/etc for years, except the odd time, but it's a shame if it's gone so downhill. At least the last true original 1UP podcast, Sports Anomaly, is never ever ever going to die.

I'm still listening to 4Guys, but its definitely worse now that all the interesting people are gone. John Davidson in particular just seemed to have a knack for keeping the discussion on track & relevant as well as having interesting things to say & well thought out opinions presented in an amusing manner.

The best episode of 4Guys so far is the one he was on, & he helped David Ellis stay on track & make the show interesting, something David doesn't seem able to do normally.

I wasn't too keen on Irrational Behaviour as I thought it to be a bit pretentious. The highlight was Shawn editing in a skit where he had someone answering a series of questions, all with the answer 'A dog in a wheelchair'.

I regularly go through my roster of podcasts that I listen to and my current list is as follows (in order of preference):

1) Giant Bomb (not sure what Mr Murray's beef is with this one)

2) Gamers with Jobs (can be a bit poe-faced at times, but I like their banter)

3) Joypod (Oh FFS, we all know who this is)

4) Gamer Dork (The inverse to Joypod in my view)

5) ThreePlayerGame (sister podcast to my own!)

6) Smodcast (Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier ramble on and on about nothing, whilst Mr Smith smokes weed)

7) SomeOtherCastle (2 women from the west coast of the US who talk at around 50,000 MPH. They are quite amusing)

:coffee: Bitmob (Since Aaron Thomas took over hosting duties, its been a joy to listen to)

9) Digital Cowboys (More of an analytical show than anything, can be thought provoking, even if they do mess up some of their facts from time to time)

10) The Geekbox (Despite their best attempts at killing the Anglo-American special relationship i.e. they tend to bash us Brits a lot, for reasons best known to themselves, it's a good show to listen to)

Special mention should go to a Life Well Wasted. Even if it does come out every 6 months!

If you're curious I actually wrote a blog post here about video game based podcasts. Although thinking about it, I've probably just breached a founding rule of Rllmuk on never linking a blog post in a thread. Dammit!

I wasn't too keen on Irrational Behaviour as I thought it to be a bit pretentious. The highlight was Shawn editing in a skit where he had someone answering a series of questions, all with the answer 'A dog in a wheelchair'.

I regularly go through my roster of podcasts that I listen to and my current list is as follows (in order of preference):

1) Giant Bomb (not sure what Mr Murray's beef is with this one)

2) Gamers with Jobs (can be a bit poe-faced at times, but I like their banter)

3) Joypod (Oh FFS, we all know who this is)

4) Gamer Dork (The inverse to Joypod in my view)

5) ThreePlayerGame (sister podcast to my own!)

6) Smodcast (Kevin Smith and Scott Mosier ramble on and on about nothing, whilst Mr Smith smokes weed)

7) SomeOtherCastle (2 women from the west coast of the US who talk at around 50,000 MPH. They are quite amusing)

:) Bitmob (Since Aaron Thomas took over hosting duties, its been a joy to listen to)

9) Digital Cowboys (More of an analytical show than anything, can be thought provoking, even if they do mess up some of their facts from time to time)

10) The Geekbox (Despite their best attempts at killing the Anglo-American special relationship i.e. they tend to bash us Brits a lot, for reasons best known to themselves, it's a good show to listen to)

Special mention should go to a Life Well Wasted. Even if it does come out every 6 months!

If you're curious I actually wrote a blog post here about video game based podcasts. Although thinking about it, I've probably just breached a founding rule of Rllmuk on never linking a blog post in a thread. Dammit!

Wow no One Life Left?

That is the only "gamer" podcast that I listen too, bar A Life Well Wasted.

Finally listened to A Life Well Wasted, which is loverly produced and that, but it's a very different prospect to Idle Thumbs. Went on the Thumbs website to see if anything was shaking, but apart from having the sweetest community on their forum it's very quiet. None of the guys have been seen on their consoles for three months apparently... Sob!

God, they'd better hurry. I'm so pathetic,I've just started my my third complete listen-through. I've tried other podcasts, but there's nothing like Idle Thumbs out there.

The Idle Thumbs podcast nearly killed me twice.

First was when they were doing some Nintendo-related off-topic banter. I was listening in the gym, doing bench press at the time and nearly dropped 60kg on my neck as I started laughing uncontrollably.

Second time I was riding my motorbike to work and got the severe giggles while doing *eeek*km/h down a particularly tricky and congested piece of motorway. Nearly binned it in to the side of a truck.

My current list of gaming podcasts in order of preference

1 - Gamerdork UK

2 - Big Red Potion

3 - Dark Zero

4 - One Life Left

5 - 4 Guys 1 Up

6 - Rebel FM

7 - Digital Cowby

8 - Mobcast

4 Guys is getting steadily worse though. When is Garnet back with a new show?