Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

Thanks to the thread here I've managed to catch the odd episode once in a while, of what I've seen it is a well made show. Love it when they're just gathered round talking about the pros and cons of certain games and they dedicate decent portions of time to showing whatever title is being played through. Downloading this ep now, getting the best possible speed as well which is nice.

They don't suck up to deveopers in interviews.

They don't do ANYTHING in interviews. Standing (or slouching) there in silence while holding a microphone is NOT an interview.

EDIT: Having said that, they get access to a lot of big names. What a waste. So safe. So American.

They don't do ANYTHING in interviews. Standing (or slouching) there in silence while holding a microphone is NOT an interview.

EDIT: Having said that, they get access to a lot of big names. What a waste. So safe. So American.

That's pretty much the entire problem with the 1up show. All the time I watch it (and I still don't know why I download it all the time) I just keep thinking "Wouldn't this be fantastic if it was British?" I mean, people would talk without "like" being every fourth word they used. People wouldn't be over-ernestly (but unconvincingly) pretending that their conversations were totally spontaneous and that there weren't any cameras there. People wouldn't talk total bollocks about videogames that's 100% regurgitated from some PR spokesperson ALL THE TIME. They wouldn't waste 10 minutes or whatever it was on a Megaman game. A remake of a Megaman game no less. They wouldn't say "Graw" like twats.

Indeed, they do like everybody else does. They go, meet the developers, then return to their offices and bitch about them.

You should watch more of them.

There have been much better ones, like I said the last show was a travesty.

You people are oh so bitter, it's a great show and has the review format down just right. Sit around and talk about the games while playing them. The DOA4 review and GRAW preview being some of the best.

You should watch more of them.

I've seen them all and I like the 1up show very much, it's my favourite game show. What I was saying about the bitching was tongue in cheek... though I do like the fact that, in the show, they'll have an interview (like the one with Peter Moore) then they'll talk about the interview afterwards.

So, yeah, i think it's a good format for a show too.

What I don't get is - why interview Peter Moore?

Just...why?

He's a pretty weird choice for a mouthpiece. He's just an old marketing guy. Why should I believe a word out of his mouth? At least Reggie has a bit of charisma, and that maniac sony guy (Phil? Harrison?) is at least a half decent Bond villain or thereabouts. Ah, they're all a shower of politicians anyway. It must be a pain in the hole being so relentlessly on message all the time.

What I don't get is - why interview Peter Moore?

Just...why?

Well, he's the guy who sold 360 to people. The 360 launch left a lot to be desired and there's a lot of promise that still hasn't materialised. Whether 1up asked the right questions is debatable but whether Moore ought to be held accountable full-stop surely isn't.

On the subject of Peter Moore, he's actually a lot more genuine that many folks give him credit for. If you look at some of the things he was saying, when he was at Sega, you can replace just a few words and it's almost still his current 360 era outlook...

NG:  You mentioned that an internet connection may be what makes the difference, what do you see as the power in that?

PM:  I think online gaming is going to be huge, as always Sega has been ahead of its time.  Seganet is a fabulous experience, you just go online and if you like football, just go in the lobby and you can play someone a thousand miles away that you’ll never meet and just play them for an hour.  It’s a lag-free environment, the game has been designed brilliantly to work with a dial-up modem, and from our point-of-view, we’re hopeful that the new platform holders will continue to drive online the way that Sega has driven online.  Because we believe it’s the future, we certainly want to take games where gaming is going, and gaming is clearly going online.  And so as a result, I’m hopeful that Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo sees the value of online game.  Because, we think it’s what needs to be done for the future of gaming and building a community, building a huge global community, as we’re starting to do with Phantasy Star Online, which brings together gamers from Japan and the U.S. and Europe.  That’s the future; it takes a lot of time and effort, with an awful lot of money, with not a lot of reward right now.  But, I think that ultimately, two or three years from now, particularly when broadband, whether DSL or cable modem, starts catching up.  I think you’ll see game consoles in particular starting to dominate over PCs for online gaming.

(link)

so I think Moore believes in this approach to gaming and isn't just towing the line for MS about XBL. He also gets respect for mentioning Panzer Dragoon Orta by name in the 1UP interview about 360 backwards compatibility a few months ago!

Well, he's the guy who sold 360 to people. The 360 launch left a lot to be desired and there's a lot of promise that still hasn't materialised. Whether 1up asked the right questions is debatable but whether Moore ought to be held accountable full-stop surely isn't.

Yeah, maybe, but....

Who cares?

It's like Rolling Stone interviewing some suit at a music company because some band's album's not been well promoted. Do gamers care about hearing from these people? These Stepford Wives cunts? If they do, they really shouldn't.

And we really shouldn't let Americans interview them, because you're asking for one big circle jerk if that happens.

Yeah, that's the nice thing. They don't suck up to deveopers in interviews. I don't see anything wrong with her.

As Biglime et al have already picked up on, the entire point of the show is to act as a publicity vehicle for specific publishers. Rather like the website it's attached to.

They will never ask an interviewee a genuinely difficult question, just leading questions that let the interviewer talk about such-and-such AMAZING new feature.

I like the show allot, easily the best out there (not that theres exactly competition). The best parts for me are the people they meet and interview, they get some very high-profile people and they generally seem to relax with these guys - it works well for them. What I don't like is the reviews, or reviews of games I don't care about. I think they're too long and too much like a chat "Yeah but like, this is good.", "Yeah, true but this feature is terrible". Meh.

I'm so disappointed they didn't have more from DICE, I'd love to have seen Jaffe's speech (particularly when he comes out and says he's been allowed to give the price of the PS3). The stuff they showed from him wasn't great, you could see he was almost gonna let slip on some PS3 stuff and then they turned it into a PSP chat!

The 24 thing was lame, but Michelle looks much hotter there than in the show. ;p