Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

Gave the New Game Plus guys a go on my dog walk today.

Had a quick go at their recent Streets of Rage 2 episode, in which they seemed clueless about scrolling beat em ups in general, then had a listen to their Shenmue ep and they didn’t know SEGA AM2 or Yu Suzuki, and one of them said nobody had even heard of Shenmue.. and at that point I gave up.

I guess like a lot of stuff out there it’s by people who didn’t live through it. I feel pretty old shouting “what are you talking about?!” at the trees!

I suppose I should give people playing something retro for the first time a chance and see if they have a fresh opinion. Bah

I've been listening to Filthy Casuals for the last couple of weeks, a gaming pod hosted by three Australian comedians, and it's been excellent so far - very funny with great chemistry between the hosts. They mostly cover mainstream stuff from what I've heard so far. It's quite profane, though, in an affectionate, Aussie sort of way - not one to have on when there are kids about, you cyunt.

On 21/07/2021 at 05:50, pastry said:

Gave the New Game Plus guys a go on my dog walk today.

Had a quick go at their recent Streets of Rage 2 episode, in which they seemed clueless about scrolling beat em ups in general, then had a listen to their Shenmue ep and they didn’t know SEGA AM2 or Yu Suzuki, and one of them said nobody had even heard of Shenmue.. and at that point I gave up.

I guess like a lot of stuff out there it’s by people who didn’t live through it. I feel pretty old shouting “what are you talking about?!” at the trees!

I suppose I should give people playing something retro for the first time a chance and see if they have a fresh opinion. Bah

I used to be a big fan of these guys and even backed them on Patreon, but bailed recently for the same reasons.

I definitely don't expect them to know everything but... as someone that loves history in gaming, they're hard to listen to sometimes.

Also +1 for Retro Game Squad, their episodes are infrequent but a lot of fun.

Retro Game Squad is good but there's one guy on it that kills it for me. He laughs at everything he says himself, and nothing he says is funny. He also repeats other people's points as if he were making one of his own, which he is not.

Please give Pixel Mix a try, not sure if they post here or not but they know their stuff 

https://pixel-mix.captivate.fm/

3 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yeah, have had to resort to Spotify which is just an abomination for following podcasts. 

Speaking as someone who signed up for a podcast patreon largely because they went to Spotify exclusively, I feel your pain.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m sure everyone in here knows about Back Page Pod, but I’ve only just discovered it and I’m having a great time listening to all the episodes I’ve missed out on.

I love podcasts and I love video games, so it’s odd that I don’t listen to any gaming podcasts, but this one just knocks it out the park for me. First off, pointless waffle is minimal - they just get on with the discussion in hand - and as there are only two of them you don’t have too many voices to keep up with. I value their opinions, and their taste in video games is different enough to make it interesting. The topics just work for me too - rather than talking about new games that may or may not be awful, they tend to be ‘best of’ lists, which always throw up some interesting older games you may have missed out on.

I’ve made some of my own lists off the back of their best of 2020/best of the console generation episodes, and it’s introduced me to a few games I’d have otherwise ignored. If there’s one thing I’d like, it’s a companion blog to store their lists, as it can be hard to keep track of all the games you want to look up later. Really enjoying it though.

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

I’m sure everyone in here knows about Back Page Pod, but I’ve only just discovered it and I’m having a great time listening to all the episodes I’ve missed out on.

I love podcasts and I love video games, so it’s odd that I don’t like gaming podcasts, but this one just knocks it out the park for me. First off, pointless waffle is minimal - they just get on with the discussion in hand - and as there are only two of them you don’t have too many voices to keep up with. I value their opinions, and their taste in video games is different enough to make it interesting. The topics just work for me too - rather than talking about new games that may or may not be awful, they tend to be ‘best of’ lists, which always throw up some interesting older games you may have missed out on.

I’ve made some of my own lists off the back of their best of 2020/best of the console generation episodes, and it’s introduced me to a few games I’d have otherwise ignored. If there’s one thing I’d like, it’s a companion blog to store their lists, as it can be hard to keep track of all the games you want to look up later. Really enjoying it though.

Yep, it's consistently excellent, even when the episodes are about games or series I'm not interested in.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yep, it's consistently excellent, even when the episodes are about games or series I'm not interested in.

Yeah, totally. They have a real knack for making games they love sound intriguing to someone who has never played them. I’ve found I have very similar taste in games to Matthew, so happily saved a few of his ‘best of 2020’ games to investigate later.

I was sure I posted in here about Back Page Pod before, must have been another thread. It’s fantastic. Two presenters with great chemistry, who are extremely articulate and very game-literate. It’s basically the template for how to make a great podcast. 

The episode they did where they each set up a publishing house and competed for developers to buy out was hilarious - in fact, all the episodes where they’re picking games to fill out a list are great, because there’s a competitive edge to it that really ups the ante. The best PS2 games episode comes immediately to mind, where it very quickly became apparent that they both wanted Silent Hill 2, and the acrimony/jubilation right at the coin toss was pure podcasting magic. 

It's interesting to me how much of a small world British gaming media seems to be. It makes sense, obviously, but it still amuses me how incestuous it all is. As an example, on last week's Backpage Pod, they mentioned Jon Denton, who used to write for a lot of different gaming mags (he's probably on the forum, for all I know), but is now a fairly big music YouTuber; he seems to be good friends IRL with Dave from TCGS (I don't know how they know each other), who in turn is obviously friends with Sean Bell, who knows Joe Skrebbels, who used to work with Matt Castle on The Back Page, but now writes for IGN, and so on and so forth.

I've been listening to The Back Page for a while now too, and like it so much that I've started listening to the earlier ones too. It became my favourite podcast more or less instantly. :D

Their enthusiasm is definitely infectious. The Phoenix Wright episode got me playing the Trilogy on the Switch, which I'd been meaning to play for a while.

3 hours ago, Jamie John said:

It's interesting to me how much of a small world British gaming media seems to be. It makes sense, obviously, but it still amuses me how incestuous it all is. As an example, on last week's Backpage Pod, they mentioned Jon Denton, who used to write for a lot of different gaming mags (he's probably on the forum, for all I know), but is now a fairly big music YouTuber; he seems to be good friends IRL with Dave from TCGS (I don't know how they know each other), who in turn is obviously friends with Sean Bell, who knows Joe Skrebbels, who used to work with Matt Castle on The Back Page, but now writes for IGN, and so on and so forth.

And on the new episode, the guest is Matt Castle's wife. Who runs RPS.

It makes sense when you think that in the days of print media they all had to live in Bath, that social circle is going to be quite tight knit.

1 minute ago, deerokus said:

And on the new episode, the guest is Matt Castle's wife. Who runs RPS.

It makes sense when you think that in the days of print media they all had to live in Bath, that social circle is going to be quite tight knit.

Yeah, I guess.

I don't understand how Dave knows Jon Denton, though, or how Sean knows Joe S. The other week, Neil from the Inbetweeners was on TCGS, but (from what I could gather) he and Dave just happened to be school friends.

9 hours ago, Jamie John said:

Yeah, I guess.

I don't understand how Dave knows Jon Denton, though, or how Sean knows Joe S. The other week, Neil from the Inbetweeners was on TCGS, but (from what I could gather) he and Dave just happened to be school friends.

I've been listening to the TCGS crew in various podcast forms since, what feels like, the late 19th Century and Blake has guested a couple of times as far as back as the JoyPod days. Pretty sure Dave mentioned a few times over the years that he went to stage school when he was younger so assuming he and Blake know each other from there.

Jon Denton used to do a gaming podcast (before he chased those bizarre YouTuber 'reacts' dollarz!) and also guested on Joypod as far back as 2015/16?. He was also co-host of TCGS when Dave was on paternity leave.

Yeah I’ve known Blake since I was 14. We met at the BRIT school and have been mates since. He’s a Millwall fan and lived close to the ground so I’d often go back to his on Friday after school and stay until Sunday going to the game on the Saturday.

Jon Denton started a Podcast with Chet Roivas back when we were doing Joypod. He posted a link (I think in this very thread) around episode 5, I listened and loved it instantly. I then recommended it on Joypod a lot so we got chatting because of that. Met up a few times and become really good mates.

Chet & Jon's, Joypod and Midnight Resistance were a killer combination, I actually used to look forward to my walk to work.

This past year TCGS and Back Page just accompanied me on my walk to the fridge and the food cupboard.

17 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Sam of Big Sammy Holdings tweeted about this very thread the other day, so it's nice to know the good vibes are getting back to them. 

Matt Castle Productions 4 lyfe, yo. 

I really really like The Back Page, it's the first podcast I've listened to regularly in years.

I wish they'd lay off the endless magazine anecdotes a bit though, it's like being trapped with a couple of pub bores endlessly talking shop. Two gaming gammons waffling on about the war.

As @Jamie John says, the whole scene is a bit incestuous. Whenever they have a guest on, it's always some mate of theirs, you know they're just going to swap stories about stuff that happened ten years ago on magazines I never read. I just skip the first 20 minutes and get down to the good stuff.