Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

9 hours ago, deerokus said:

Matt Castle's N64 mini must be a money laundering project, no one would actually buy that thing.

Sam’s was much better if you’d never had an N64 and wanted an overview of the console, but as someone who rinsed the classics on the N64, Matt’s was much more appealing.

On 01/10/2021 at 20:34, Jamie John said:

An excellent ep of Back Page Pod this week. Really interesting. @Garwoofoo's assessment of the pod is cited once more ;)

It was a particularly gammony podcast this week. Simon Parkin was nowhere near as engaging as Dan Dawkins was a few weeks back, and after half an hour of him running through his CV and discussing what he had for breakfast in 2008 I switched off.

Still, it's unreasonable of me to expect them to produce podcasts that are to my exact liking every week! And I did absolutely love the N64 Mini Draft episode. Even if it did consist mostly of Matthew waxing lyrical about Nintendo games for 20 minutes at a time, and Samuel occasionally interjecting with "Yeah, great stuff Matthew".

Basically I love these guys when they talk about actual games. The series deep dives into Yakuza, Hitman and Phoenix Wright were absolutely outstanding. I'm going to be more selective I think based on the episode descriptions, skip the magazine episodes where I can and really enjoy the good stuff.

16 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It was a particularly gammony podcast this week. Simon Parkin was nowhere near as engaging as Dan Dawkins was a few weeks back, and after half an hour of him running through his CV and discussing what he had for breakfast in 2008 I switched off.

Still, it's unreasonable of me to expect them to produce podcasts that are to my exact liking every week! And I did absolutely love the N64 Mini Draft episode. Even if it did consist mostly of Matthew waxing lyrical about Nintendo games for 20 minutes at a time, and Samuel occasionally interjecting with "Yeah, great stuff Matthew".

Basically I love these guys when they talk about actual games. The series deep dives into Yakuza, Hitman and Phoenix Wright were absolutely outstanding. I'm going to be more selective I think based on the episode descriptions, skip the magazine episodes where I can and really enjoy the good stuff.

Horses for courses, but I have to say I disagree - I found the Parkin episode a lot more interesting than the immersive sim episode, but then I was too young to properly appreciate Deus Ex and Thief, and the like, so I guess that stands to reason.

Regardless, though, I don't think 'gammony' is an especially accurate adjective to describe the podcast, even if it is tongue in cheek. They're quite retrospective and nostalgic (some of the time, anyway), but you should probably expect that going in, given that the pod's USP is that it centres in two former magazine journalists discussing their magazine writing heydays. Obviously, there are other episodes that focus on more modern games as well, which I equally enjoy.

Anyway. Enjoyed this week's TCGS. Sean's advert was very professional :D Oddly, I'm actually quite tempted to get a Blue Yeti mic now, despite not having any need for one whatsoever. Must be the power of the boys' advertising...

They’re both in their thirties, aren’t they? How can they be gammony?

They‘re more like a couple of honey-glazed hams - tender, slightly sweet and goes well with a nice piece of cheese. I’m already looking forward to my weekly slice. 

7 minutes ago, Popo said:

They’re both in their thirties, aren’t they? How can they be gammony?

They‘re more like a couple of honey-glazed hams - tender, slightly sweet and goes well with a nice piece of cheese. I’m already looking forward to my weekly slice. 

Yep. Definitely get some big cheese energy from both of them.

• 1 month later...

And we have arrived at another Back Page Podcast draft! Xbox Vs GameCube.

Spoiler

I voted for Big Sammy Holdings this time. The utter audacity to have the Steel Battalion controller. :lol:

And Mathew fucked it by poisoning his console with Mario Sunshine.

55 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Started the new Back Page pod while I was out shopping, and I've enjoyed it so far. Noticed some pretty rough editing though - cut mid-word or mid-breath. Sort it out fellas. Can't wait to finish it off though 💖

Really? I can't say I noticed that, to be honest. Anyway, really enjoyed the episode. I voted for the Xbox, only because I never owned one, as much as I loved my Gamecube.

Despite it basically being Matthew's to lose as far as I'm concerned, it was actually a pretty close run thing. 

Spoiler

But voted Matt in the end. The Steel Battalion controller actually works against Sam for me - part of the appeal of these mini machines is that I have less crap in my house, not more! 

Also; because I have loads of time on my hands apparently; here are my two versions of the draft. 

Gamecube

Spoiler

Adventure/RPG: The Wind Waker

Shooter: Ikaruga

Fighting/Sports: Smash Bros Melee

Platformer: Super Mario Sunshine 

Licence: Tiger Woods 2005

Launch: Super Monkey Ball

Stealth: The Twin Snakes

Multiplayer: Pac-Man Vs

Racing: F-Zero GX

Wildcard: P.N.03

Free1: Metroid Prime 

Free2: Resident Evil 4

Free3: Resident Evil Remake 

Free4: Eternal Darkness

Free5: Luigi's Mansion

Free6: Skies of Arcadia 

Free7: Mario Strikers

Free8: Thousand Year Door

Free9: Chibi Robo! 

Free10: Four Swords Aventures 

With my peripheral being four GBAs, haha! 

Xbox

Spoiler

Adventure/RPG: Fable

Shooter: Metal Arms: Glitch in the System

Fighting/Sports: Pro Evolution 4

Platformer: Sands of Time 

Licence: Lego Star Wars

Launch: Halo

Stealth: Manhunt 

Multiplayer: Mashed Fully Loaded

Racing: Project Gotham Racing 

Wildcard: Jet Set Radio Future 

Free1: Outrun 2

Free2: Halo 2

Free3: Spider-Man 2

Free4: Full Spectrum Warrior

Free5: Galleon 

Free6: Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Free7: Burnout 3

Free8: Ninja Gaiden Black

Free9: Otogi

Free10: Stubbs the Zombie 

With my peripheral being a headset for Manhunt. 

Can't believe Sam didn't pick Outrun. Reckon that might have tipped it. 

Sometimes the music doesn’t fade down enough before Sam starts speaking but yeah, can’t say I notice any mid-word cuts or anything. Sounds like a playback issue from the podcasting app?

What a great episode though, I’m genuinely thinking about it before I cast my vote as they both made great mini consoles. 

Also Sam’s laughing in this was such good value. The bit when he found out Burnout 3 wasn’t on GameCube after all the tense sniping they’d been doing was hilarious.