IGNORED

Gaming Podcasts

Beertiger

11 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

You thought Mat James Sean and Dave went to Centre Parcs together and played Chambara? And were forced to play tennis with randoms? And that Dave didn't enjoy bowling because it felt different to how it used to on previous trips to Centre Parcs? 

Yep! Haven't they all holidayed like that before?

Our latest

107 - Horizon Forbidden West (Poochie's Ring)

Take a step into the Forbidden West with Brad + Stu’s gargantuan discussion on the new Horizon game! Also 35mm, Neon White, Exit Plan Games’s Bang-On Balls (no, seriously) & loads of Steam Next Fest coverage. With the amazing ABRISS being a focus.

00:03:23 – Neon White [demo]
00:11:11 – 35mm
00:22:40 – Horizon: Forbidden West
00:57:16 – Bang-On Balls
01:02:57 – MHG Chat: Steam Next Fest

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-hrxfr-11b8eb2

On 24/02/2022 at 08:37, BabelRich said:

Took me far longer than it should have to twig the Centre Parcs thing. 

I had just resigned though so I'm blaming having too much adrenaline in my body rather than the fact I'm clearly an idiot.

Me too! What a great wheeze. It was only when they mentioned Chambara that the penny dropped, and I then rewound to the start of the section to listen properly. 

Loved the last TCGS with Inel, he fit in so well with the flow of the banter. 

Obviously I don’t wish any ill health to the lads, but if something were to happen to one of them….the show must go on and all that. 

No tickets for our show... but you can listen to the latest episode...

108 - Together in Electric Dreams

Recorded separately but still packed full of insight (…err…) Brad & Stu talk Taito’s Ninja Savior, Bubblehead Studio’s intriguing Phaseshift, the charming FixFox, Team17 upcoming Batora Lost Haven, River City Girls Zero + more. As philosopher Oakley said, “We’ll always be together, however far it seems…” [cries in GenXer].

00:03:22 – Phaseshiift
00:06:10 – FixFox
00:09:38 – River City Girls Zero
00:14:45 – Batora Lost Haven
00:19:28 – Ninja Savior – Return of the Warriors
00:25:34 – Horizon Forbidden West
00:27:50 – Monster Hunter Stories 2: Wings of Ruin

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-ae4a6-11c30c7

Man, the GT7 bit in this weeks TCGS was absolutely brilliant. I was walking back from work listening to it and had to do that thing where you 'eat your smile' so it doesn't just look like you're grinning at passers by. 

20 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Man, the GT7 bit in this weeks TCGS was absolutely brilliant. I was walking back from work listening to it and had to do that thing where you 'eat your smile' so it doesn't just look like you're grinning at passers by. 

Not had a chance to dive in but was it just Dave and Sean saying forza is better over and over?

I don't recall when the GT series started to include orchestral and light jazz scores, and beautifully rendered slow pans of the internals of grand pianos. I think it was around GT4 (looking at the game soundtrack listings).

In my opinion it doesn't make the game any more legitimate, just pretentious.

And so we have another Back Page podcast draft. This time for the Vita.

Spoiler

Mathew smashed it. Two Persona games (and the dancing spin off), Danganronpa, TXK, Gravity Rush. I'm surprised the voting is so close.

Back Page Vita Draft

Spoiler

Probably the toughest choice for me between the two libraries in these drafts, but Samuel just about wins out. As they were doing the final roll call, Big Sammy's bonus categories were just strong enough to swing it back from Matthew's fractionally stronger showing in the main Vita section. 

Very different vibes from both machines though. I think if I had Matthew's I'd be baffled as to what to start with all the RPGs and long form narrative titles. Contrary to what Matthew might think, his draft is absolutely rammed with the things 😁

Mind-boggling that neither of them even mentioned Motorstorm RC. And to a lesser degree Unit 13. Both would have been riiiiight up there for me. 

Despite both choosing some very good games, Matthew was the clear winner for me in more or less every category.

I was surprised neither of them chose 

Spoiler

Vagrant Story as a bonus pick, unless you can't get it anymore. It's very well-regarded and difficult to come by elsewhere.

I also thought Samuel's choice of SotN as a PS1 'Platformer' was a bit suspect. I mean, there are platforms in it, but surely it should come under the bracket of Action/Adventure?

Anyway, a great episode, as always. It made me want to re-buy a Vita!

I'll definitely be subbing to their Patreon next month.

I think there were a few mistakes with some of the justifications for picks this time, like

Spoiler

I'm sure Samuel said Wipeout hadn't been released on anything else, but it came to PS4 as part of the Omega Collection.

Still, I don't worry about things like that too much. Another enjoyable episode.

44 minutes ago, Jolly said:

Back Page Vita Draft

Reveal hidden contents

Probably the toughest choice for me between the two libraries in these drafts, but Samuel just about wins out. As they were doing the final roll call, Big Sammy's bonus categories were just strong enough to swing it back from Matthew's fractionally stronger showing in the main Vita section. 

Very different vibes from both machines though. I think if I had Matthew's I'd be baffled as to what to start with all the RPGs and long form narrative titles. Contrary to what Matthew might think, his draft is absolutely rammed with the things 😁

Mind-boggling that neither of them even mentioned Motorstorm RC. And to a lesser degree Unit 13. Both would have been riiiiight up there for me. 

Unit 13 was so great. Nailed the stick/gyro combo for aiming too. It’s a shame it’s pretty unique really, these days shooters are either online-only or dull, wannabe action movies.

I’ve barely started the episode, but my winner would be whichever list got Persona 4. It’s the best way to play the game too, unlike say, WipEout 2048, which is better on PS4/PS5 (and includes HD and Fury).

Back Page Vita Draft

Spoiler

Matthew wins this hands down and then some. The selection speaks to my experience with the Vita even if his enthusiasm for two of my standouts - Gravity Rush  and Lumines: Electronic Symphony - was incredibly lacking.

In general it often felt that they didn't have the detailed knowledge of the handheld or PSP, and that's fine. Like, I honestly expected and was waiting for Matthew to absolutely beat the Symphony of the Night pick with Dracula X Chronicles- a game that has a remake of Rondo of Blood AND the original version AND Symphony of the Night as well 

Got plenty of laughs out of me while doing the dishes so still top listening regardless. 😁

Backpage:

Spoiler

I voted for Samuel. Too much weeb shit in Matthew’s one, I need to be able play this thing in public ffs.

Great episode all round though with some excellent lore additions. (The Spelunky holiday haha).

The draft format is so good I’m worried about when they run out of consoles to do it with. Although opening it up to guests is going to be brilliant (er…if they end up doing that of course)

Bring on the Patreon.

PS Vita draft:

Spoiler

FE1E7AFE-04BF-4640-881F-01D5086D041A.png.23fc668cfe8397f7e85fd42eb10984e4.png

Honestly, I think they’re both shite :lol:

Matthew got P4, which is the best game on the system for sure, but his line up is pretty stinky.

For me, a mini console draft pick should be treated like a good music album - it isn’t just each game taken on its own merits, it’s how they all fit together. Matthew’s, while containing some undeniably great games, looks like a CEX bargain bin. And there are too many RPGs.

At least Samuel’s looks cohesive - you’ve got the big hitters of Uncharted, WipEout 2048 and to a lesser extent Tearaway - they’re the chart toppers - so then it’s fine to have some album tracks and B-sides.

And yep, why was Unit 13 ignored? It was so great and unique to the Vita. Nailed the stick/gyro combo for aiming too. And what about Hot Shots Golf? Either of the Ridge Racer PSP games? Or the PSP WipEouts? Why is Racing/platformer a combined category when they’re two of the biggest gaming genres?

Good ep though.

I can see where you're coming from, but an album needs to be cohesive because it's usually less than an hour long and meant to be enjoyed in one sitting. I don't think that applies quite so much to a collection of games, personally.

Matthew smashed it for me by playing into the strengths of the system. Samuel seemed to find himself choosing either the worst game in a series or the worst version of a multiplatform game. 

26 minutes ago, Quest said:

I can see where you're coming from, but an album needs to be cohesive because it's usually less than an hour long and meant to be enjoyed in one sitting. I don't think that applies quite so much to a collection of games, personally.

For example, the SNES mini has a decent mix of first party and third party titles, platformers, RPGs, action games, shooters, sports games, racers, and a mix of big-hitters and a few games most people wouldn’t have heard of or played before. It just ‘feels’ right.

Hi... Imma let you finish the excellent backpage discussion over the greatest hendheld ever.... but just wanted to let you know our latest episode is out... please listen.

https://www.podbean.com/ew/pb-dvkfi-11d77b1

110 - Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Brad?

Alongside box-fresh chat around @dicey's Tunic, Chicken Launcher's No Place Like Home & @WalesInter's Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Brad? there's retro talk about the Neo Geo and its games in a packed episode. Flip Reverse it, people!

SHOWNOTES:

00:02:45 - Ashwalkers

00:14:05 - The Neo Geo and its games

00:27:49 - No Place Like Home

00:31:46 - Tunic

00:39:14 - Who Pressed Mute on Uncle Marcus?

00:46:10 - MHG chat

• 2 weeks later...

Really quite impressed by the amount of detailed analysis of Kirby games in the latest Back Page Pod. The exploration of his biology and digestive system, and the cursed nature of what goes on in there, had me in stitches. 

Also, thanks to this podcast, I now use the word “cursed” to describe everything. :)

I enjoyed this analysis of Zelda music:

It's done by Kirk Hamilton, who's one of of the trio that makes up Triple Click, another decent weekly podcast. It gets quite technical at points, especially for someone like me who knows very little about music, but it's still interesting all the same. It also includes a cool bit of trivia: 

Spoiler

the main theme in Skyward Sword, played by Zelda in the game before she realises who she is, is Zelda's Lullaby from OoT played backwards.

Jinkies! 🤓

I'm quite a shy guy, so imagine my terror this morning upon starting TCGS and briefly thinking I'd made a fool of myself regarding the main ingredient of a popular snack food. My blood ran cold.