IGNORED

Condemned

camps

I absolutely love the very last level, it's just so intense. One of the most intense game experince I've had since the shootouts in Manhunt.

All the way through the game, it keeps building on the scares until they climax between the derpatment store/school levels. Once they've mentally damaged you in every way possible (and let me say, the last big 'scare' in the school fucked me right up), instead of trying to carry on scaring you and getting predictable, they quit while they're ahead and opt for a fucking manic, intense finale with nothing but you, with no torch and no taser, a big flaming plank of wood for both light and defense, and a shitloads of brick-hard massive burnt crazies running at you through a forest.

It's like the entire game has been slowly training you in the combat, so that when you reach this last level you're so adept at it you can just take on all these bad guys at once. There's this genuine excitement when you're totally outnumbered by all these enemies who are way harder than you, you've got bugger all health left, one of them swings, and you just manage to block it and smack one of them in the face, before quickly swiming round and blocking another one behind you. Like I've said, it's just so intense. I actually found myself swaying back and forth while playing the game, leaning forward when I went for a hit and then leaning backwards as they went for me.

As for the final boss, I highly recommend you try using one of the sticks he drops when you fight him earlier, it's really good for blocking and it makes the fight really fast paced with blocks and hits galore between you both.

.::: Chapter 8 now, becoming slightly boring. The story has become utterly predictable and if the ending is what I think it is, then lord have mercy.

Did you think that he would be the killer, and it would just be his split personality? That's what I initially thought they were building upto, and thankfully I was wrong because if they had gone for it then you could have seen it coming from a mile off. It's weird though, because a lot of the clues and dialogue did seem to be building up to that as a revelation. Maybe the whole thing was just a red herring, though.

Did you think that he would be the killer, and it would just be his split personality?  That's what I initially thought they were building upto, and thankfully I was wrong because if they had gone for it then you could have seen it coming from a mile off.  It's weird though, because a lot of the clues and dialogue did seem to be building up to that as a revelation.  Maybe the whole thing was just a red herring, though.

.:::

I didn't think he would be the killer after chapter 8 or so, but before that, yes. The final fight almost convinced me that was still going to be the conclusion, as you seemed to be hurting yourself in the process of defeating 'it'. As I now see it, Thomas simply was able to use 'evil' for his own ends, but he now has to pay for that, hence the final scene.

But even that leaves so many things open it just doesn't cut it. The birds for one thing, they are a repeating theme, but are simply discarded at the end (maybe those propaganda reports tell something but still). Also the FBI interest could've been explored a bit more. And so on. There are so many loose ends that the game doesn't bother tying up, that they either had to cut the game short for launch or they simply wanted to start a new ip-series.

To be frank, if they left it at just the SKX-storyline and removed all the 'cult/evilness' stuff, the game would've been far tighter. But weaving another story-line through it just doesn't seem to work.

Not in this form at least.

Finished it yesterday. Great game, I really enjoyed beating up all those bums, and the atmosphere was spot on. The last boss was annoying, but after retrying a couple of times, I beat him and it was very satisfying to

rip the fuckers jaw off with my bare hands in first person.

I'm now replaying it to find all the bonus items, and the combat will never get old imo.

Just bought this game yesterday.

First impressions:

I didn't enjoy it. At all. But for once, that's not a bad thing. I love the atmosphere, I love the sound design, the whole thing's already shit-scary. I really feel alone and fucked in this game. Good stuff. Shame I can't do the "blocking" thing for shit yet, but never mind!

Blocking does come in handy for the last level though.  ;)

.::: Still useless as walking backwards is Teh Ultim4t3 M0v3! Bit silly but you can complete the entire game easily without relying on blocking. Also, it's not that being hit is an actual problem with that amount of health-kits lying around.

That's cos you played it on Easy I'm a scaredy pants mode.  :unsure:

.::: Easy? I'm not 'special' hence why I choose normal (only exception being CoD2 on Veteran because the game needs it).

If they can't get it to work properly on normal than there's something wrong imo. (Yes, I also view CoD2 as being defective in that area, especially as it's clear the game isn't designed around Veteran, while the atmosphere is.)

In the end Condemned suffers as you'll realise you'll be getting lots of health anyway. Even the final boss gave you a health-kit just before the final blow! FFS!

Regarding the end. Did you or didn't you?

Both.

The game creates a save just before the final part of the 'boss' battle. First time I didn't and then I went back and replayed the final boss bit and then I did. It unlocks two achievements doing it this way.

.::: Ah, a score-whore. :wacko:

Some people on my friends list rent out EA 360 games and unlock the achievements on them in one night as they give you massive achievement points.

I admit the achievement points in Condemned where an incentive for me to look for all the 360's and dead birds.

Yeah I did that too. Thought I might get a different ending but no.

The choice thing was utterly pointless. That very final shot of Agent Thomas looking in the mirror was intriguing and a sequel would be of interest just to find out exactly what Condemned was about.

I admit the achievement points in Condemned where an incentive for me to look for all the 360's and dead birds.

.::: You are truly depraved. :(

I do think achievements are great for getting longevity out of it, but if the game fails to entice me, it's achievements will be worth zilch to me. Like Condemned then. In the case of CoD2 and Gauntlet I want them all though.

Might be a bit problematic for writers with known gamertags. :wacko: "Hey idiot, you didn't complete Game X with all achievements! How can you give it a 5 then!?"

.::: You are truly depraved. :(

:wacko:

I wonder how many people that have read about the 'dead birds' that have not played Condemned will understand what we are talking about? Looking at the games cover they will probably not realise we are talking about our feathered friends.

Might be a bit problematic for writers with known gamertags. :( "Hey idiot, you didn't complete Game X with all achievements! How can you give it a 5 then!?"

:wacko: That's brilliant! We can ostracise people who haven't tried Halo 3 on Legendary, too.

"I see from your Miscrosoft Permanent Record that you've only completed one level - the training level - on novice. You appear to have spent most of your time on DOA Volleyball 360, where your achievements include the Breast Inspector's Licence and the Upskirt Trophy."

You rarely need the blocking option if you use the tazer well.  Multiple enemies are quite rare and later on you receive an enhanced tazer that just knocks em out for good.

This is why the taser spoils the combat, IMO. It's too cheap and easy, you can basically use it on nearly everyone in the game if you wanted to. I tried to only use the taser when fighting enemies with firearms if I'm honest, it felt like I was just being cheap otherwise. The fact that they take it away from you for the final section only proves that you were meant to be getting good at the combat, and only using the taser as a last resort. It's a good thing the flaming bit of wood you're armed with on the final level is ace for blocking, and so are the sticks the boss drops.

I had another go of this just now, got past the first druggy (I didn't do a shit this time, thankfully) and got upstairs. I physically cannot go any further. I just can't go into the hall from the stairs- I'm scared something will jump out on me :P It doesn't help that the controls are a bit crap, but that's probably just to add to the atmosphere and make it feel a bit scarier and claustrophobic. I don't like it, there are too many dark corners and open rooms everywhere.

I've played the Silent Hill series, Resident Evil, you name it- but I can't go up the first flight of stairs in Condemned :D

I'm such a pussy!

I had another go of this just now, got past the first druggy (I didn't do a shit this time, thankfully) and got upstairs. I physically cannot go any further. I just can't go into the hall from the stairs- I'm scared something will jump out on me :P It doesn't help that the controls are a bit crap, but that's probably just to add to the atmosphere and make it feel a bit scarier and claustrophobic. I don't like it, there are too many dark corners and open rooms everywhere.

I've played the Silent Hill series, Resident Evil, you name it- but I can't go up the first flight of stairs in Condemned :D

I'm such a pussy!

CareBearsJokeCD.jpg