Halo: The Movie

Goose

I was really impressed by the trailer, I have to say. It looks like it was done on the cheap (because it probably was, relatively speaking), but the shaky camera, the gritty look and the intensity make it feel very different to your average sci-fi flick. A Halo film done in this style would be very interesting, purely because it actually feels quite different (in a way that's appropriate for a film) to the game.

• 1 month later...

Man, does Halo need the music or what?

Didn't do anything for me, all a bit Call of Duty, Where was the sense of scale? I know it's only test footage but so what, they stuck some guys in armour, big deal. As has been said, take away the Chief and the ring and it's just another Aliens rehash.

The trailer for Halo 2 when he jumps out the drop ship and Cortana says 'What if you miss?' Halo perfection. Some of that next time, please.

Didn't do anything for me, all a bit Call of Duty, Where was the sense of scale? I know it's only test footage but so what, they stuck some guys in armour, big deal. As has been said, take away the Chief and the ring and it's just another Aliens rehash.

The trailer for Halo 2 when he jumps out the drop ship and Cortana says 'What if you miss?' Halo perfection. Some of that next time, please.

ala

?

No, I totally disagree. It's full of action, grit and dirt, which is exactly how a Halo movie should be. The sound of battle, not the sound of orchestrated pomp. What you described above would be exactly what a fan with no imagination would make if they had the budget - and no imagination.

I think I could watch 90 minutes of that Blomkamp shit - it wouldn't even need any dialogue, let alone music.

As a fan video it's ok! Honestly linkster, I don't think there's anyone who posts in this folder who regularly demonstrates such poor aesthetic judgement as you. Whenever I see your posts, before I read them I know you've got it wrong. Still, you write nice, like.

No, I totally disagree. It's full of action, grit and dirt, which is exactly how a Halo movie should be. The sound of battle, not the sound of orchestrated pomp. What you described above would be exactly what a fan with no imagination would make if they had the budget - and no imagination.

I think I could watch 90 minutes of that Blomkamp shit - it wouldn't even need any dialogue, let alone music.

Completely agree, I was enthralled by the end and didn't want it to end. So well put together and lovingly shot. A thousand miles away from the usual way action films are shot in Hollywood these days. Surely with Halo 3 going cuckoo bananas crazy this'll get off the ground.

As a fan video it's ok! Honestly linkster, I don't think there's anyone who posts in this folder who regularly demonstrates such poor aesthetic judgement as you. Whenever I see your posts, before I read them I know you've got it wrong. Still, you write nice, like.

halo at its best is pure orchestrated pomp. I didn't imagine that, that's precisely what it is and why so many people love it. The sequel hinted at that in the advert I mentioned but didn't really deliver on it. it's not about a bunch of grunts. its about the Master Chief, Cortana and an impossible planet. Sounds like you'd be happy with a Saving Private Ryan sim.

halo at its best is pure orchestrated pomp. I didn't imagine that, that's precisely what it is and why so many people love it. The sequel hinted at that in the advert I mentioned but didn't really deliver on it. it's not about a bunch of grunts. its about the Master Chief, Cortana and an impossible planet. Sounds like you'd be happy with a Saving Private Ryan sim.

I thought Halo was about humans fighting for their survival against an alien threat determined to extinguish them from the universe. At least that's what I got from the first two games.

Love the Brute smashing that guy against the wall. And the sniper bit is indeed effin' brill.

Yes. A whole movie of this please.

My favourite bit had to have been the rocket launcher. It was such a satisfying gib.

I thought Halo was about humans fighting for their survival against an alien threat determined to extinguish them from the universe. At least that's what I got from the first two games.

Funnily enough, when it was being covered on 5 Live yesterday that's how some 'journalist' described it to the predictably-cynical game-hating presenter who scoffed 'that sounds like every game I've ever seen'. Never gave him a chance to talk about the extraordinary scripting, voice casting, level design & aesthetics (which are far more cartoony than this video), AI or, of course, the amazing soundtrack.

Exactly what I said before - you have no imagination.

As for why people love Halo, they love it for the combat - everything else is just window dressing. The Blomkamp short has the essence of that combat in spades. A film based around re-creating Halo's cutscenes would be dreadful.

EDIT: By the way, does anyone have a link to the previous short that isn't hosted on the Bungie site? It doesn't seem to load for me for some reason.

I think there's a difference between the style of Halo in the story and cutscenes, and the style of Halo in the actual game. The advert linked above does a brilliant job (in parts) of recreating the feeling of playing Halo – the dirty, close-up intensity of shifting from cover-to-cover as bullets whine off the concrete around you, the dirt spattering onto the ground, the feeling of despair as your fellow soldiers get picked off one by one, the sick pleasure as you RPG a brute at point-blank range. The story, as Linkster points out though, is pure space opera. I think one of the reasons why Halo is so engaging is that it successfully combines these two contrasting elements – gritty, terrifying combat and sense-of-wonder widescreen baroque.

Any combat scenes in a Halo film would have to recreate the feel of combat in Halo, and that's exactly what the video is trying to do, I think. With the non-action scenes, you could probably try to bring across the sense-of-wonder and epic grandeur of Halo, but that's not what the short was going for.

Exactly what I said before - you have no imagination.

As for why people love Halo, they love it for the combat - everything else is just window dressing. The Blomkamp short has the essence of that combat in spades. A film based around re-creating Halo's cutscenes would be dreadful.

You clearly have no grasp of reality if you can dismiss any single element of Halo as window dressing. Like any truly exceptional experience it's more than the sum of its parts. The combat underpins it all but if that's all there was to it, FEAR would be equally revered, it quite clearly is not.

I think there's a difference between the style of Halo in the story and cutscenes, and the style of Halo in the actual game. The advert linked above does a brilliant job (in parts) of recreating the feeling of playing Halo – the dirty, close-up intensity of shifting from cover-to-cover as bullets whine off the concrete around you, the dirt spattering onto the ground, the feeling of despair as your fellow soldiers get picked off one by one, the sick pleasure as you RPG a brute at point-blank range. The story, as Linkster points out though, is pure space opera. I think one of the reasons why Halo is so engaging is that it successfully combines these two contrasting elements – gritty, terrifying combat and sense-of-wonder widescreen baroque.

Any combat scenes in a Halo film would have to recreate the feel of combat in Halo, and that's exactly what the video is trying to do, I think. With the non-action scenes, you could probably try to bring across the sense-of-wonder and epic grandeur of Halo, but that's not what the short was going for.

But it's not as simple as just talking about cut scenes. I'd hate it if it was. I mentioned one cut scene which promoted the sequel just because that got me excited for the sequel, but the original game managed to convey that same feeling, in game, over and over again, and the music, VO, art style was an extraordinary part of that whole experience. Like when you first encounter the Hunters. Or when the Flood break through. Gritty and realistic were absolutely the last words I would use, it was pure exhilerating fantasy.

You clearly have no grasp of reality if you can dismiss any single element of Halo as window dressing. Like any truly exceptional experience it's more than the sum of its parts. The combat underpins it all but if that's all there was to it, FEAR would be equally revered, it quite clearly is not.

Oh linkster... :(

But it's not as simple as just talking about cut scenes. I'd hate it if it was. I mentioned one cut scene which promoted the sequel just because that got me excited for the sequel, but the original game managed to convey that same feeling, in game, over and over again, and the music, VO, art style was an extraordinary part of that whole experience. Like when you first encounter the Hunters. Or when the Flood break through. Gritty and realistic were absolutely the last words I would use, it was pure exhilerating fantasy.

I think you have to bear in mind the budgetary restrictions. Both the examples you've given would cost a fortune to show on film, because Halo's at its best when it demonstrates pure spectacle. The video does a pretty good job of trying to show that on a limited budget – the bit where the brute twats that guy with the hammer, the bit where the Chief's re-entry pod is spotted – but there's a limit to how much spectacle you can have on a shoestring. Look at the brute costumes, they look well shoddy at times.

I think you have to bear in mind the budgetary restrictions. Both the examples you've given would cost a fortune to show on film, because Halo's at its best when it demonstrates pure spectacle. The video does a pretty good job of trying to show that on a limited budget – the bit where the brute twats that guy with the hammer, the bit where the Chief's re-entry pod is spotted – but there's a limit to how much spectacle you can have on a shoestring. Look at the brute costumes, they look well shoddy at times.

OK so my comments on the video were pretty harsh but it didn't get me excited, that's all.

I'm with Linkster on this one. The video's nice, but doesn't stir up that Halo feeling for me. Without getting too wordy, I'd say that Halo (the games) feel like one man against the world scenarios, with you in the boots of the hero, the main character, the Master Chief. True, you dip in and out of frenzied combat at times, but there's a lot of solitary experience there too, and that's where a lot of the storyline, and memorable progression, takes place. The game and storyline hinges on your involvement and actions - you're never just a cog in the machine, which is what both this live action vid is - a glitzy, impressive machine.

of course the video works to show the Halo universe from a grunt's potential perspective. I don't hink it really shows what the essence and experience of Halo 3 is so much - depsite the presence of large scale battles etc in the game.

Halo 2 trailer did the job of encapsulating the atmosphere better with such less effort. This live action is great fun, and brilliant to watch, and raises awareness well... but feels fairly unconnected to the games. Doesn't make it any les valid, of course.

Also this isn't like Zok!

none of it looks very cinematic. it looks like one of those TA ads with a bit of CG. IT WAS NOT LOW BUDGET that is for sure.

the gritty style directly reflects the director's earlier work. it just all looks very TV movie.

something about making the warhogs and covenant real (slavishly following the art design of the game) makes it looks hollow and low budget. everyone one of these videos look fan made and done on the cheap when infact the opposite is true. those are style choices.

geek out all you want. there is no way he is going to be the director of the halo movie, and now i can see why.