IGNORED

The 360: Not Impressed

Okotta

Been playing PGR 3 and PDZ for a couple of hours recently and I noticed that the loading times in those two games (especially PGR 3) were pretty long and annoying.

If you choose to restart a race in PGR 3, the game reloads the entire race. In PGR 2 there was no loading if you restarted a race. In PGR 3 it irritates me to have to wait.

I wonder if it has something to do with the fact, that developers have to take into consideration that there's a version of the 360 that doesn't have a HD, and they need to make sure the game works on that version first?

I don't have a 360 myself, yet, but I'll be buying the Core version together with the memory card, a RGB cable and CoD 2 and probably Condemned or NFS: MW. Considered PDZ but after trying to set up the controls to my liking (did they make the aiming shit by purpose?) and failing, that game went off my list.

If I bought the Premium edition I would get a shitty headset made of cheap plastic (the original headset is much better), a component cable which I have no use for, as I don't have a HDTV, a harddisk which seems to have to real use besides custom soundtracks and Xbox games that's supposed to work with the backwards compatibility, but do not (Half-Life 2 anyone?). One of MS's selling points regarding the HD, is that you need it to be able to play the old Xbox games. But most of them don't even work or doesn't run proberly.

Sorry to be so negative, but I haven't been the least impressed with the 360's launch. After the almost perfect launch of the first Xbox and the great games on day one, I can't see what all the fuss is about with the 360. It has no real killerapp, like Halo in 2002, and the two Rare games which we've waited so many years for, are just average games and not great ones. The rest of the games are just more or less pretty multiplatform titles. Well - besides Condemned probably.

MS should have waited until Halo 3 was done instead of wanting to be first on the marked with a nextgen system.

And they should have known what to do with a harddisk in a console.

Developers have to view the 360 as not having a hard drive - MS requirements simply wouldn't let them produce a game that will only work on some of the hardware. I really doubt you'll get any games that use it for caching purposes or anything like that - whats the point in wasting time developing a caching system that will only work on a percentage of the hardware?

I agree that it sucks, but we're going to have to get used to the idea that the hard drive has now been relegated to a peripheral with the 360. Its an extra gadget that can help out with Live-stuff and custom sountracks. Nothing more.

Sounds like my predictions of doom were true all along - if hard drives aren't in as standard they won't make anywhere near full use of them.

wel the way it is looking at the moment, it's kind of essential to have one. Look at all the new stuff and games you can download in the market place.

Developers have to view the 360 as not having a hard drive - MS requirements simply wouldn't let them produce a game that will only work on some of the hardware. I really doubt you'll get any games that use it for caching purposes or anything like that - whats the point in wasting time developing a caching system that will only work on a percentage of the hardware?

Oblivion will use the hard-drive for caching and stuff, won't it?

It's not an extra hassle compared to if all 360's had a hard drive, because if they did, they'd probably utilise the cache anyway (unless they were lazy/EA and didn't want to). If they do create a quick-load/caching system for 360 games, it'd take just as much time to do, then they could put in a toggle switch to disable it for the non-HDD systems.

It's true they havn't properly utilized the hard drive this time around, but some developers are still choosing to.

Elder scrolls 4 for example, the devs say its meant to run loads better with a HD, I'm sure other games will be the same.

Without the pressure of hitting launch more and more developers will be doing it surely.

Sounds like my predictions of doom were true all along - if hard drives aren't in as standard they won't make anywhere near full use of them.

Games such as Oblivion detect whether you have an HD or not, and optimise the game accordingly.

Well, I downloaded the 1gig demo for Need for Speed: MW. Try sticking that on your memory card. I also have a number of the free trial games from Live Arcade and the Winter Warrior Pack from kameo, and a number of themes downloaded as well. Yeah, having the HD is pretty damned nice even if they're not using it for games.

If I bought the Premium edition I would get a shitty headset made of cheap plastic (the original headset is much better), a component cable which I have no use for, as I don't have a HDTV, a harddisk which seems to have to real use besides custom soundtracks

The headset is a world better, doesn't break easily like the old one, it's comfortable and just better. If you like the original headset so much more, use that then, but for many, the newer one is more comfortable and practical.

Component no use? Use composite or whatever, when you get your HDTV in the future, then you're sorted.

Custom soundtracks, trailers, demos, Xbox Live Arcade games, FFXI, a mass of savegame space, more than enough reasons for me for the extra £45 over the memory card.

The stuff that you download from Live like Arcade games and levels, is that small enough to fit on one of the 360 memory cards? Or do you have to have a hard drive for Live content?

The reality is for me that all I'd use the hard drive for is a few Live patches and levels, which seems like cost overkill for the 20 meg or so I'd use...

That doesn't sound too good. I might opt for the core package then when more come back into stock.

Why?

You could flog the hard drive on for over a hundred, and still have the chrome DVD drive, headset, wireless pad and all that.

There's no disadvantage of the Premium pack other than someone who made some poor points.

The stuff that you download from Live like Arcade games and levels, is that small enough to fit on one of the 360 memory cards? Or do you have to have a hard drive for Live content?

The reality is for me that all I'd use the hard drive for is a few Live patches and levels, which seems like cost overkill for the 20 meg or so I'd use...

All the Live Arcade games have to be designed to be small enough to fit onto a memory card (for the moment at least). I think you'll regret not buying the HD in the long run though.

The headset is a world better, doesn't break easily like the old one, it's comfortable and just better.  If you like the original headset so much more, use that then, but for many, the newer one is more comfortable and practical.

I've read that it's very uncomfortable to wear and has bad sound quality.

In fact, everyone I've talked to says that the new headset is crap. They all prefer the old one.

I wonder if the Revolution needs a HD in order to be able to download about 20 years worth of Nintendo games..? :D

I just want to play games on a 360. I don't want to be forced to buy a HD because I need to download patches for unfinished games.

And why I can't have backwards compatibility without a bloody HD I'll never understand. Sony did it, and did it very well.

All the Live Arcade games have to be designed to be small enough to fit onto a memory card (for the moment at least).  I think you'll regret not buying the HD in the long run though.

You can only fit a couple on though; and probably only one if you have a trailer or a download pack on.

You can only fit a couple on though; and probably only one if you have a trailer or a download pack on.

Aye, that's why I'd recommend the hard drive. Live Arcade is all about quick-fix gaming for me - I can be playing Mutant Storm within 20 seconds or so of turning the machine on. If you've got the memory card you'd be faffing around deleting games and redownloading them when you want to play something different.