IGNORED

The 360: Not Impressed

Okotta

I wonder if the Revolution needs a HD in order to be able to download about 20 years worth of Nintendo games..?  :D

I just want to play games on a 360. I don't want to be forced to buy a HD because I need to download patches for unfinished games.

And why I can't have backwards compatibility without a bloody HD I'll never understand. Sony did it, and did it very well.

Because the Xbox has a Hard Disk in it? I don't think they make 8Gb memory cards just yet.

I wonder if the Revolution needs a HD in order to be able to download about 20 years worth of Nintendo games..?  :D

I just want to play games on a 360. I don't want to be forced to buy a HD because I need to download patches for unfinished games.

And why I can't have backwards compatibility without a bloody HD I'll never understand. Sony did it, and did it very well.

You do realise how small NES/SNES/N64 games are, right?

yeah but inside is it actually just a standard pc one?

yeah - its a standard 2.5" notebook hard drive. Check out anandtech for details.

hd_outL_small.jpg

People have bog standard (ie non 360) ones hooked up already with the 360 one connected at the same time. Presumably this is just because there are system files on the 360 drive - once they work out how to copy them over (which shouldnt be hard) there shouldnt be any reason why you couldn't mod it pretty easily. Although presumably you'll still need to buy a 360 drive to get the enclosue so you can actually link it to the console.

You aren't.

This may help you understand - the original Xbox had a hard drive. Also, some games require updates as the 360 is totally different to the original. As such certain GFX chip specific things just wouldn't work on the 360.

You've really missed the point of the hard drive, squire.

Edit: and comparing the PS2's backwards compatibility with the PSOne to the 360/Xbox compatibility is a bit unfair.

Personally I can't wait to get a HDD. Being able to download more than 1 Live Arcade game at a time, all the demos, custom soundtracks and the rest will merit the £70 outlay over the console's lifetime for sure.

Still annoying that few games have taken/will take advantage of it though (PG...Load...R...Load...3, I'm looking at you :D ).

Still annoying that few games have taken/will take advantage of it though (PG...Load...R...Load...3, I'm looking at you :D ).

"Will take advantage"? The NFS demo is telling me that it's "HD compatible for optimal gaming"... 'course they'll use it to speed things up.

Rare managed to force you to buy a RAM pack for the N64 to play Perfect Dark properly, so I don't see why developers can't force us to buy hard drives for the 360 if they're pretty much essential to the gameplay experience, e.g. by dramatically cutting down on loading times as witnessed by Gotham.

I agree that it sucks, but we're going to have to get used to the idea that the hard drive has now been relegated to a peripheral with the 360. Its an extra gadget that can help out with Live-stuff and custom sountracks. Nothing more.

Its overkill for a few settings and a pile of mp3s really

Not to mention storing all games and DLC which you can pay extra for now and soon.

/\ corrected

Must be great developing an xbox360 game, write all its features and and levels on a whiteboard, circle a couple of decent ones and release them a few weeks after for extra $$$

There's also Kameo at 512MB IIRC, as well as NBA Live 06 and Madden 06.  Madden is shit.  Possibly because I don't understand it.

Sweet! I downloaded the Kameo one on the 2nd but didn't realise there were any others. Downloading NBA Live 06 right now to see that realistic looking sweat! Cheers.

NFS is shit. Possibly because it is shit. IMO of course.

Rare managed to force you to buy a RAM pack for the N64 to play Perfect Dark properly, so I don't see why developers can't force us to buy hard drives for the 360 if they're pretty much essential to the gameplay experience, e.g. by dramatically cutting down on loading times as witnessed by Gotham.

I agree with you in principle but I think there's a bit of a price differential between an N64 RAM pack and the 360 Hard Disk.

I really hope they do something about those loading times in gotham though...

Couldnt be more satisfied. The whole dashboard thing is the greatest thing to happen to gaming since XBL!

Wonderful piece of kit, just set up the media connect thing and started streaming music from my PC. One of the best systems ever!

PDZ is my killer app <_<