IGNORED

The Gamecube Is Gone From The High Street

sandman

It's a shame, but the games just don't sell.

Not true at all. The exclusive main games sell absolutely loads for the first two weeks, then nothing. It's just like their stupidity with the Nintendo DS, every other phone call is for the pink DS, the other half being for the 360. If they were in stock, they'd be the top selling consoles this Christmas no problems. Wind Waker was out of stock for the first week after launchday, people constantly asking for it, then it was like they couldn't be bothered.

At the moment, there are a fair few GameCube games in stock, they don't sell greatly, but today alone we sold Call of Duty II, Shadow and Need For Speed (well, me personally anyway), as well as a Mario Kart silver GameCube pak. As well as a Pokemon: Gale of Darkness and a Battalion Wars yesterday. It's going steadily, but damn the prices are still high.

killer7 on PS2, new is £14.99, on GameCube? £34.99 please! Rigght! Pre-owned is £25 and above on Mario Tennis, Golf etc, and we've got way too many Die Hard Vendettas.

Agree about Resi 4. It's been sitting under my bed, neglected for months and then boom I played it ALL weekend. Best console game of 2005, no doubts.

As for the new Zelda game, it's gonna be canned for the NGC you know it. A Revolution launch title maybe?

The Game stores in Norwich have only carried a few second hand Gamecube games for the last few months. I think it was about August when they finally gave over the last lone shelf of new titles to even more space for own-brand PS2 accessories.

Only the St Stephens one, the other two still have a small section of new titles available.

Agree about Resi 4. It's been sitting under my bed, neglected for months and then boom I played it ALL weekend. Best console game of 2005, no doubts.

As for the new Zelda game, it's gonna be canned for the NGC you know it. A Revolution launch title maybe?

no way, they have spent way too much time and effort on it.

Not true at all.  The exclusive main games sell absolutely loads for the first two weeks, then nothing. 

From a retail perspective that's no good though.

Outside of the big hitters, I've heard that the level of general sales of Cube games is nowhere near that of either of its competitor consoles.

Why would they can it? It's like we go into this "what happens in England happens worldwide" mentality when Nintendo are mentioned.

Popped into the Galleries, Bristol branch of Game today. Couldn't find the Cube display, so can only assume that they've stopped stocking the machine.

The one here used to have the gc stuff with the ds stuff in the front. Last time I went in it, the ds stuff and the gc stuff was all the way on the back end of the store next to the preowned.

Someone else said in a different thread that if they were to port the game over to the revolution it would completely undermine the idea that they're offering something truly new and innovative. A game originally for an old system doesn't really sound like they're pushing the envelope. Throw in that it'd possibly be the biggest launch title and it just wouldn't make sense for them to do it. IMO. And somebody else too. Actually their opinion that I think is correct having considered it.

Game had maybe 15 GC games, Gs had about 20 preowned and 40 new.

I didn't realise how bad things were. It certainly seems to have got much worse since Resi 4 came out. I suppose the PSP and 360 have meant that stores have had to get rid of the GC when there is only limited space.

My woolworths has shit loads of GC stuff. see also, virgin, HMV, and most other large stores. do you live in some tiny village or something?

DO you think that if your shops did all sell them, that somehow, Nintendo would shoot to the number one spot, then?

In Australia Cubes are still available at every major game store I've been too. Mind you, there's really only 2 speciality game stores (EB's) where I live. We have a fair few department stores - BigW (Part of Woolworths), Kmart and Target that also still sell Cube gear.

We have a HMV store but it just sells DVDs and CD's.

Nothing at all in the (small) town near me. In fact, DS stuff is also hard to come by, which I find strange given that it's selling so well.

Currys closed down, Woolworths stopped selling Gamecube games, but do have about ten DS titles on offer (woo!). WHSmith have stopped selling any Nintendo games, Blockbuster stopped renting Nintendo games out, and the indie shop sells for every platform except Nintendo (I can't believe they don't sell DS stuff, but it's their loss).

The only Cube games in town are about three very battered-looking used titles in Blockbuster (again, I think they may all be Die Hard Vendetta or even worse).

So basically, you can still easily get PC, PS2, PSP and even Xbox games from several shops, but nothing on the Cube and - bizarrely - very little on the DS.

It's pretty grim in all the nearby cities as well: small Cube selections in all the Game branches, a tiny selection at full price in HMV, and nothing anywhere else. And no Dreamcast-style bargains, either. Games remain at full price, or close enough, until suddenly the shop stops selling them.

The GameCube is only available in the two small indies, Game, Argos (kinda) and HMV in my little city.

I recently picked up the lovely Mario Strikers pack from Argos last week.

The bargains were all to be had last Christmas/New Year when MVC and Woolworths cleared out all their Cube stock at cheap, cheap prices!

I got a stack of great games for under a tenner each.

Someone else said in a different thread that if they were to port the game over to the revolution it would completely undermine the idea that they're offering something truly new and innovative.  A game originally for an old system doesn't really sound like they're pushing the envelope.  Throw in that it'd possibly be the biggest launch title and it just wouldn't make sense for them to do it.  IMO.

Nintendo didnt have any trouble launching the DS with Mario 64 DS as its main launch title.

I've thought this too.  But Nintendo only recently stated that it's still definitely a GC title.  Assuming they're not fibbing, I'm betting on some extras when played on a Revolution.

It'll probably be a GC title that 99% of it's players wil play on the Rev.

The GAMEs in Stockton and Middlesbrough have gotten rid of the GC sections completely, won't even take second hand stuff.

The Gamestations however (I work at the one at Stockton) have them though. We have about 2 bays of used (spread across 3 due to various offers), and 1 of new. Well technically half of one new since the top four shelves are console bundles.

I think it's simply because that the GC only has the odd title thats worth investing in. And this christmas there isn't really a big title for them with Zelda being delayed. Mario football is fun, but it isn't exactly huge. Plus I'm sure people are starting to get sick of all these Mario sports games now.

You work in Stockton GS eh? I reckon that's one of the best Gamestations I've been in. Glad they're still supporting the Cube...

So, I decided to buy Battalion Wars at the weekend (great game BTW)

But, hardly any shops are selling GC stuff anymore.

A bit less sorry round here, with these shops selling GC games:

HMV

Virgin

WH Smiths

Woolworths

Gamestation

Game

Argos

Sainsburys

Asda

Tesco

Problem is, all the top games are out of stock. No Fire Emblem, no Battalion Wars, and even older games like Metroid Prime 2 and Pikmin 2 all gone. All we're left with is Mario Party and EA rubbish.

Why do Nintendo insist on not making enough games to go round? I missed out on a fair few GC "new releases" in the last 12 months, but can I find the buggers for sale anywhere now? Not a chance. The same is also true to some extent with the GBA and DS. Nintendogs is pretty much out of stock everywhere, and games like Wario Ware Touched! gone from the shelves. Rubbish.