Xbox Live Arcade

Zero

It's already queued - if he'd said it wasn't very good I'd not have bothered - pish is quite an extreme reaction so I'm not overly optimistic - particularly when they've put it out to die against stacking.

Reviews are meant for entertainment purposes only and we accept no responsibility for pishness or lack thereof.

(In all honesty it might just have been a bad demo, but it was all so dull - no inclination to look into it more.)

Haven't had much time recently to play games, so downloaded Crazy Taxi on Monday as I loved the DC version.

Plays fine, still reminds me of the great times I had on the DC. The music is a huge loss, but nothing a custom soundtrack didn't fix. Really lazy achievements though. I really hate that. The scope for being really creative with the achievements (especially with Crazy Box mode) was huge, and they just boiled it down to 'Complete This, Complete That'. :(

Even the Arcade/Original scoring achievements are stupid. Get a C,B,A and S licence. So, one for $2000-$2999, one for $3000 to $3999, one for $4000-$4999 and one for $5000 to $5999. However, if you play if proper and go for the huge score (netting an Awesome or Crazy licence), you don't get anything? :unsure:

To get those achievements you have to play the timed game and in most cases stop when you've reached the amount you need. Really a wasted opportunity to do something a bit more fun. :(

I'll still go back to it tonight to try and get a massive score, but that really annoyed me.

Thought Hydrophobia was worth a punt for 400 points. It's not bad really, much better now it's been updated. It's a bit like a ropey Tomb Raider with water. Perfectly fine for the few quid it cost though.

So finally got around to trying this after picking it up cheap the other week.. Bloody hell! If this is what its like "after" its been updated then god only knows what kind of a state it was in before!

I went in with pretty low expectations but even still Ive come away disappointed. its just painfully average in almost every department (okay except the voiceovers which are just plain painful!).

The only mildly interesting aspects such as the Enviromental Hazards and Metroid Style Maxi Scanner thingy have all been lifted from other games. The water effects, which lets face it are supposed to be the games USP, are okay at first but the novelty soon wears off and you are straight back to generic 3rd person action shooter territory.

Combat is just woeful, the tomb raider style platforming is clumsy and the challenge is practically none existent.

Despite all of this, and due to some misguided selfimposed rule to try and get the most out of my recent purchase, I played through to the end (thankfully its very short), only to be greated to one of the most disappointing and abrupt endings Ive witnessed in a VERY long time! Its not even any kind of cliffhanger.. it just ends at the weirdest of points. I actually thought it had broken, it just made no sense whatsoever.

The only thing left for me to do now is to buy Stacking and remind myself what a decent XBLA title should be like!

The one where you have to stay on the screen or you lose a point?

If they released MMV3 on XBLA, I would pay 2000 MS Points for it.

Supersonic Software were supposed to be making an announcement about their Mashed follow up at the end of January but it was delayed due to concerns about copyright. I'm just hoping that the fact they were planning some sort of announcement at all means it must be nearly done.

So finally got around to trying this after picking it up cheap the other week.. Bloody hell! If this is what its like "after" its been updated then god only knows what kind of a state it was in before!

I went in with pretty low expectations but even still Ive come away disappointed. its just painfully average in almost every department (okay except the voiceovers which are just plain painful!).

The only mildly interesting aspects such as the Enviromental Hazards and Metroid Style Maxi Scanner thingy have all been lifted from other games. The water effects, which lets face it are supposed to be the games USP, are okay at first but the novelty soon wears off and you are straight back to generic 3rd person action shooter territory.

Combat is just woeful, the tomb raider style platforming is clumsy and the challenge is practically none existent.

Despite all of this, and due to some misguided selfimposed rule to try and get the most out of my recent purchase, I played through to the end (thankfully its very short), only to be greated to one of the most disappointing and abrupt endings Ive witnessed in a VERY long time! Its not even any kind of cliffhanger.. it just ends at the weirdest of points. I actually thought it had broken, it just made no sense whatsoever.

The only thing left for me to do now is to buy Stacking and remind myself what a decent XBLA title should be like!

I'm just on the final section - fighting to the shuttle bay - which made me rage quit last night. Awful stuff - the water is actually laughably bad as it lolls around inside compartments with ridiculous waves. And those same waves fuck the camera up all the time and make it very difficult to see what to shoot at.

It really is so painfully average in every way it's incredible. They clearly built out a few areas, realised they were onto a dog and then wrapped it up and punted it out. It actually would have been a much better game if it were just a sinking ship - ditch the combat altogether.

On the plus side, I played it pretty much muted last night, and it makes the voice acting so much better. Hoping to wrap it up tonight, but no way am I ever going back for collectables etc.

I always get confused when people write off a game based on someone elses opinion, when there's a free demo right there they can play. I mean, sure, it might be pish, but still...

Ordinarily you'd be right but in this instance it's genuinely not worth the download. Terrible disconnected physics, awful weightless weaponry, mind-numbingly basic tracks. Pish is a reasonable summary.

The guys who did Reckless Racing on the iPhone should do an XBLA/PSN port of their game - really fun, solid top-down racer.

The guys who did Reckless Racing on the iPhone should do an XBLA/PSN port of their game - really fun, solid top-down racer.

Heads over to App store to check it out.

Is it just me or is the top down / mulitiplayer fun arcady type racer genre sorely under represented on live / this gen :unsure:?

New promo for Seisou Kouki Strania / Strania -The Stella Machina

I want this game quite a lot. That "800" at 1:56 might be a price reveal, but I'm not too good with my moonspeak...

For Border Down and Under Defeat alone, G-Rev can have my babies. Hyped! Actually, bring out Border Down and Under Defeat too, I had to sell mine :(

Definitely buying Hard Corps Uprising today. I did, however, look at the achievements and I'm wondering just what the hell they were on when they created those - anyone who buys Arcade games for achievements (and I know for a fact these people exist) won't be buying this game, that's for sure.

Fancy completing what is, by all accounts, one of the hardest games in recent times without being killed once? Sure ya do!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/hard-corps-uprising/achievements/

That's true. I quite like tough achievements from time to time - but from the reviews I've read, it seems that the majority of these will be nightmarish to get. I might play the game proper for the challenge, but I doubt I could be assed to go the extra mile for doing it with no deaths.

Still, as you say, people who like insane achievements to seperate those who can from those who can't should love the ones in this game.

Not that Arc System Works are strangers to insane achievements - Score Attack Mode on BlazBlue Continuum Shift was hellish once you got to the unlimited bosses. Unlimited Hakumen was, essentially, a complete and utter cheat. Unlimited Hazama was almost as bad, and you couldn't continue on them.

Isn't it funny that one consideration into purchasing a game these days is how easy the gamerpoints are to achieve! I guess trend started as soon as gamerpoints did - King King etc.

Mind you I found KK very dull and decided not to keep playing it.

Also I'd heard of this but it sounded like a strategy game to me, I didnt realise it was a cartoon contra clone! Looks interesting...

Isn't it funny that one consideration into purchasing a game these days is how easy the gamerpoints are to achieve! I guess trend started as soon as gamerpoints did - King King etc.

Mind you I found KK very dull and decided not to keep playing it.

Also I'd heard of this but it sounded like a strategy game to me, I didnt realise it was a cartoon contra clone! Looks interesting...

It's actually a Contra *game*, even though it's dropped the, um, Contra bit. It's a prequel to Contra Hard Corps on the Mega Drive (almost said Genesis there), developed by Arc System Works for Konami.

And yeah, a lot of people want to see their gamer score rise. I'm not too bothered about it in general, but I'll admit that it's nice to see your score hop up a bit just for playing a game normally... and it can be the clincher for a game I'm interested in, but not 100% sure I'll enjoy. I

This one, however, was getting bought regardless. It's now up on the US marketplace, downloading now!

Just tried out the Hard Crops: Uprising demo and its pretty good. I just don't think I'm going to buy it for the 1200 points though, I'll wait for it to hit 800 points or less.

It is quite excellent. I'll be honest, it's probably worth 1200 points but feels expensive at that price, as most XBLA games do.

The real joke is that they've taken two characters out of the game so they can sell them for 200 more a pop. So, 1600 for the actual full game.

The real joke is that they've taken two characters out of the game so they can sell them for 200 more a pop. So, 1600 for the actual full game.

Hmmmm that's a bit naughty of 'em. Shame they've done that as having had bash at it this lunchtime I was just coming round to thinking it was indeed worth the 1200. 1600 all in though, not for me I'm afraid.

Recorded myself playing it. Very, very pretty game.

Womble: I'd say it's still worth it - not sure how the other two characters play, but the first two are fine by themselves. It is a horrid practice, though. Still, it's way better than what they did with Castlevania HD - the 6 player one, I mean.

Revival: I've heard people have similar problems with the loading - I haven't experienced any, my average level load time is usually less than 30 seconds. It sounds a long time, but it's not bad at all.

I don't know whats causing it because every other game is fine but to load level one just now it took 5 minutes and 20 seconds :unsure:

Holy crap. You haven't downloaded the game to a USB stick or something, have you? Some games (and saving) work faster off one or the other - Dead Rising 2 takes forever to save to the hard drive, but I hear that it's super speedy with a USB stick.

Other than that, I sadly can't help you. I've downloaded mine to the HDD and it's running smoothly - is it a Trial or the full game? It could, possibly, be trying to do stuff that the full game would want to do and being blocked off by the fact that it's a trial. That's pure conjecture, though - I'm not sure if that could even possibly be an issue.