Xbox Live Arcade

Zero

I think I'd prefer Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament to V3, though I wouldn't say no to that either. Also, wouldn't Mashed be the closest thing to Micro Machines? I think that is due for XBLA, unless I made it up.

Na not made up at all, Supersonic the studio that made Micro Machines V4 and Mashed are making Wrecked Revenge Revisited for XBLA, due out summer.

Has a few tracks lifted from Mashed I believe.

What we're missing is Konami shmup compilations. Gradius and Salamander deluxe packs for starters. Not cost-efficient to put out on disc, bang them on XBLA perfectly emulated. Of course I was holding out the hope that Game Room would cater to this particular need :hmm:

Actually I think there is a disc market. The PSP compilations sold well enough in Japan but never got tested outside Japan. Stick Gradius and Salamander all on one pack, stick Twinbee and Parodius on another. Release them as a budget price or even all on one disc for full price and they should sell well.

However I think it's telling that Konami would rather dedicate time to the uninspiring dull fest that is Otomedius instead of repackaging older titles again

Surely you can say the same about Virtua Racing, Sega Rally, Daytona etc. They seem to think there isn't a big enough market for these games on XBLA.

I don't know, maybe they were running on ancient proprietary hardware that's hard to emulate or the people with the knowledge walked out etc. Chu Chu Rocket however is a fairly recent title, very easy on the hardware and has been ported before (to GBA) so there should be some kind of universal codebase.

Pc emulators for these were created by bedroom coders, and probably run better than the Saturn originals. As for Chu Chu, it was ported to NES :blah: and is on iOS

SEGA...Why don't you want my money?

You people can't make up your minds. Always asking for specific Sega games, then moaning when they aren't any good. Based on Sega's track record in this area, none of these games will be of a high enough standard to fulfill your needs

You people can't make up your minds. Always asking for specific Sega games, then moaning when they aren't any good. Based on Sega's track record in this area, none of these games will be of a high enough standard to fulfill your needs

No, it's quite simple. Take the best version of a game, either spruce it up a bit or just upscale it, release it with online leaderboards and/or multiplayer and that's it.

What they do is take the easiest to convert game, regardless of how shit it is and how ill fitting to the controls it is, neglect any sort of coherent UI and fuck off leaderboards on an arbitrary basis.

Oh and they have a scattergun approach to their previous licences.

So D&D Daggerdale; is it essentially a new version of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance like everyone wanted it to be? With two-players-on-one-screen multiplayer?

Except buggy and not as good apparently :( Now I admittedly haven't even tried the demo but it's not gone down well even with fans of the genre.

Except buggy and not as good apparently :( Now I admittedly haven't even tried the demo but it's not gone down well even with fans of the genre.

Well, I hadn't expected it to be quite as good - Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance was unbelievably polished.

Funny you should say that, because the guy I had the argument with, in response to me citing the examples of Rez HD and Outrun Online Arcade as games that wouldn't work well on an iphone, actually said that he expected either or both of them to be on the App Store shortly. So yeah, touch screen OutRun. Amazing.

I dunno, I reckon Outrun could work quite well with tilt controls - Ridge Racer is excellent on the iPhone, surprisingly, and I can envisage the drifting in Outrun having quite a satisfying feel when tilting the phone. Not sure the iPhone could handle it technically, but then again I don't think Outrun is that much more demanding than, say, Real Racing 2.

Have there been any absolute must haves in the last few weeks? I bought some points in preparation for RS so I've got a few spare. Otherwise, what's essential in the 400 point market at the moment?

If you are talking the last month or so, theres been Outland, Bangai-o and Sega Rally Online Arcade (all 800 point games).

If none of those sound like your thing or they are too expensive, its well worth looking at Lasercat, Sequence, Blocks That Matter and Upbot Goes Up on the XBLIG service.

I've never really bothered with Arcade games before - only lara croft which i found a bit annoying as it never seemed to save properley

Anyway - I got some points today and took the plunge with Limbo, Braid, Pac Man CE DX and Torchlight. Did I choose well? I like the look of shadow complex as well.

Yeah, those are amongst the best games on XBLA definitely.

Might want to take a look at, Rez HD, Trials HD, Super Meat Boy, Ilomilo...really there are more games than I could list to look at, but those are a good start.

I've never really bothered with Arcade games before - only lara croft which i found a bit annoying as it never seemed to save properley

Anyway - I got some points today and took the plunge with Limbo, Braid, Pac Man CE DX and Torchlight. Did I choose well? I like the look of shadow complex as well.

Yup, I'd add the following over the course of the next few weeks/months.

Trials HD + DLC, Pinball FX2, Hard Corps: Uprising, Outland, Beyond Good and Evil, Super Meat Boy, Both the Dead Rising Case titles are all very good titles.

And keep an eye on the weekly Deals of the Week, you'll be able to pick a few titles fairly cheaply. (for example, both DR:C titles were recently half price and I expect they will be again in the future)

:)

i'm loving arcade atm. ages ago i'd bought a couple of little titles just for the fun of it, then i got Rez cos, well, it's Rez innit, and pacman CE after a random review & braid cos everyone was ranting about it but arcade hasn't been a major part of my 360 experience. just lately i got sega rally and pinball fx2 and fell over this thread and now i'm buying my points from amazon and looking forward to what appears to be some awesome gaming. in a nutshell, i'm pretty happy ^_^

so RS... i never played RS before, is it gonna be really hard? like ikaruga was? i got that on the gamecube, then again on arcade, but i'm still rubbish at it. i can appreciate the quality but only really from afar because when i play it, i don't see most of it. how similar are they?

i'm loving arcade atm. ages ago i'd bought a couple of little titles just for the fun of it, then i got Rez cos, well, it's Rez innit, and pacman CE after a random review & braid cos everyone was ranting about it but arcade hasn't been a major part of my 360 experience. just lately i got sega rally and pinball fx2 and fell over this thread and now i'm buying my points from amazon and looking forward to what appears to be some awesome gaming. in a nutshell, i'm pretty happy ^_^

so RS... i never played RS before, is it gonna be really hard? like ikaruga was? i got that on the gamecube, then again on arcade, but i'm still rubbish at it. i can appreciate the quality but only really from afar because when i play it, i don't see most of it. how similar are they?

RS is way less hard that Ika, and absolutely brilliant. Amazing music, awesome weapon system, much more forgiving and no headaches from colour changing. Its as hard or easy as you like...shoot everything first time round, then you can start going for high scores by only shooting one colour enemy (red, yellow or blue). It's got a story, secrets, and the bosses wipe the floor with Ika's.

nice run of the first few stages: (until he fucks up stage 3)

A couple of years on and there's still no sign of Turrican 1 or 2. I watched some YouTube vids of them this morning - it's the first time I've seen them since playing them to death on the Amiga. So, so good, the music is still amazing. Afterwards I felt genuinely disappointed that they can't be played on the current platforms :(